Do you feel nauseatic often? Do you end up skipping important meetings at office because of your nausea? If you nodded along to these questions, then you might want to read this post.
Here, we look at some simple yoga poses for nausea. Would you like to know more? Read on and find out.
What Is Nausea?
Nausea is a common condition and almost everyone has experienced it once. Nausea is a symptom of many conditions like pregnancy, stomach flu, motion-sickness or medications (1). Before you begin practising yoga for your condition, consult your doctor.
Yoga For Nausea:
1. Downward-Facing Cross-Legged Pose Or Adho Mukha Swastikasana:
The downward-facing cross-legged pose, or adhomukha swastikasana, is a basic yoga pose that may improve or even eradicate nausea.
- Sit down in a cross-legged position.
- While sitting down, bend your torso forward and rest your arms on the seat of a chair or footstool.
- Rest your head on your arms and remain in this pose for around 2 minutes.
- Repeat it if you continue to feel nauseatic.
[ Read: Yoga Poses For Managing Stress ]
2. Inverted Pose Or Legs Up the Wall Pose Or Viparita Karani:
The inverted pose or legs up the wall pose is known as ‘Viparita Karani’ or Upside Down Seal in Sanskrit. Viparita Karani helps relieve nausea and has other health benefits as well. Viparita Karani also helps improve blood circulation and is especially good for people suffering from foot pain.
- Begin by keeping your hips really close to the wall.
- Lie back and begin raising your legs straight up.
- Continue until your body forms an ‘L’ shape and rest your legs on the wall.
- Keep your arms on your sides.
- If you find the position uncomfortable, you can also place some cushions or a blanket under your neck.
- Remain in this pose as long as the nausea persists. This should usually take around 5-10 minutes (2).
[ Read: Yoga Asanas For Eating Disorders ]
3. Bound Angle Pose Or Baddha Konasana:
The Bound angle pose or Baddha Konasana has many health benefits. It helps improve reproductive organ strength, tones the belly and thighs. It also helps cure and relieve nausea. It is a difficult pose to master and does take some practice.
- Sit down on the ground and join the soles of your feet.
- Press your heels towards your pelvis.
- Hold your feet down using your hands.
- Remain in the pose for around three minutes. If your legs begin to pain, try performing two 90 second holds.
Check out how to perform the Bound angle pose in this video.
4. Reclining Hero Pose Or Supta Virasana:
The reclining hero pose has many health benefits. It helps lift your diaphragm off the liver and the stomach and helps relieve nausea.
- Begin by kneeling down and place your buttocks between your heels.
- Now recline your upper body backwards until your entire upper body is on the floor.
- Remain in the pose for around one minute or till your nausea begins to abate.
- You can consider resting your head on a pillow or a folded blanket to make doing this pose easier.
[ Read: Yoga Poses For Constipation ]
5. Yoga Deep Breathing:
This is another yoga asana that can help you get rid of nausea. Yoga deep breathing helps relieve nausea by relaxing pressure on your abdomen and diaphragm.
- Begin by sitting down cross legged on the floor. Close your eyes and breathe deeply.
- Breathe in and hold your breath for 10-15 seconds.
- Exhale slowly keeping your eyes closed.
- The flow of fresh oxygen through your body will help you relieve nausea.
- Breathe deeply for 5-10 minutes. Repeat the exercise, if required.
[ Read: Yoga Asanas To Treat Migraine ]
Poses To Avoid:
While the poses mentioned above will help you relieve nausea, make sure you avoid the poses that involve bending forwards from the torso, as these will only worsen your nausea.
So, the next time you feel nauseatic, take some time out to perform one of these simple poses and get relief from nausea after yoga. Have you tried yoga for nausea? Tell us here. Leave a comment below.
- 4 Best Yoga Poses To Cure Headache
- 5 Effective Yoga Poses For Grief Relief
- 5 Effective Yoga Poses For Acid Reflux
- Top 10 Yoga Asanas For Better Digestion
- 15 Minute Yoga Routine To Improve Your Immunity
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas For Strong Feet - September 1, 2015
- 10 Best Essential Oils To Treat Hemorrhoids - July 23, 2015
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- What Is Coachella Diet? - June 10, 2015