In today’s world, obesity has taken epidemic proportions. And obese people are trying various methods to lose weight. But, there are people who want to gain weight for a variety of reasons.
Genetics, high metabolism, fussy eating—all can contribute to a person’s inability to gain weight. The easy way to pile on the pounds is to indulge in palate tempting pastries and deep-fried delicacies. However, that is not the healthy way to gain weight at all! If you want to gain weight, try to do it naturally. There are certain natural and healthy foods that you should include in your meal plan to gain weight. Opt for energy rich, nutrient dense foods and gain weight, the healthy way! what to eat in breakfast to gain weight?
Healthy Breakfast For Weight Gain – 10 Yummy Recipes:
Here are 10 healthy breakfast recipes for weight gain:
1. Oatmeal Peanut Porridge:
One hundred grams of oatmeal give you 400 calories while 28 grams of roasted, unsalted peanuts give you about 166 calories, with a whopping 126 calories rendered by healthy fats. Opt for rolled oats rather than steel cut ones for better taste and nutrition.
- Rolled oats – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups, divided
- Peanuts – 15, roasted, unsalted
- Raisins – ¼ cup, cleaned and drained
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Whole milk – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Bananas – 1, medium sized, sliced into ½ inch thick rounds.
- Dry roast oats in a preheated pan on medium heat until slightly warm to touch.
- Soak in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the water to a large saucepan along with cinnamon powder and allow it to come to a boil.
- Add the oats along with soaked water.
- Allow to boil for a minute, lower the flame, stirring continuously. And cook for 3 minutes or until the oats get cooked well and the mixture turns thick.
- Remove from the fire and stir in peanuts and raisins.
- Mix in milk and honey.
- Add banana slices and mix well.
- Enjoy warm.
2. Granola With Nuts And Whole Milk:
It is easy to make and store granola. You can use it as per your convenience. While the major ingredient is oats, you can even add wheat flakes and corn flakes plus roasted sago for better calorie intake. Make sure you include the nuts and enjoy it along with fruits for a nutrient and calorie dense breakfast. You need not shell out loads of money for that tasty breakfast, which is quite simple to put together.
- Quaker oats – 2 cups
- Wheat flakes – 1 cup
- Corn flakes – 1 cup
- Roasted lentils – ½ cup
- Almonds – ½ cup
- Walnuts – ¼ cup
- Raisins – ¼ cup
- Dates – 12, pitted, sliced lengthways
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp [You can use caster sugar or granulated sugar.]
- Honey – ¼ cup
- Clarified butter – 2 tbsp, melted
- Preheat your oven at 180 degree Celsius for 10 minutes.
- In a small pan, mix brown sugar with honey and melted butter. On medium heat, keep mixing this mixture to allow brown sugar to melt completely. I do not like the sugar melting completely. So, I retain quite a portion to add a crunchy feel.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the oats with the ingredients, which are listed in the points, starting from 2 to 8.
- Pour in the warm honey-sugar mixture.
- Stir well to ensure even coating.
- Grease a rectangular baking pan mildly with cooking oil.
- Transfer the granola contents to the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, taking out in between and giving a quick stir. Or, just bake until the oats turn golden brown and nuts change their color.
- Take out and allow it to cool.
- Store it in an airtight container.
How To Use:
- Add about ½ a cup of granola to a serving bowl.
- Add 1 cup warm milk.
- Slice fruits of your choice and add to this granola.
- Enjoy warm.
Whole eggs are powerful and calorie laden delights. Plus, it is an awesome source of protein, which means you can improve your muscle mass, and gain healthy weight. Add a starchy veggie to your double omelet for the added calorie requirement.
- Eggs – 2
- Potatoes – 1, large, peeled, finely grated
- Carrots – 2, peeled, finely grated
- Onions – 1, large, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Butter – 2 tbsp, divided, melted
- Pepper powder – to taste
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Heat a deep frying pan on medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp butter and allow it to melt.
- Add cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add onions and fry until golden brown.
- Add grated potato and sauté until golden brown.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs until pale and fluffy.
- Fold in sautéed onions and potatoes, carrots, salt, coriander leaves, and spices.
- Preheat a mildly greased large omelet pan on medium heat.
- Pour in the egg mixture and sprinkle half of the leftover melted butter.
- Cook until the bottom portion gets a pale brown color.
- Flip over and cook for about 30 more seconds.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of black pepper powder on the top.
4. Dry Fruit Chocolate Milk Shake:
Use whole milk and Nestle Nesquik for making this milkshake. Packed with calories from milk and dry fruits, it sure is a rich way to kick off your morning. Use ½ a liter of milk and drink the whole thing.
- Whole milk – ½ liter – 2 cups
- Nestle Nesquik – ¼ cup
- Dates – 5, pitted, finely chopped
- Almonds – 10, finely sliced
- Banana – 1, medium, peeled, finely sliced into thin circles
- Add banana, almonds, and dates to a blender.
- Blend the ingredients on medium speed to a smooth mixture.
- Add Nesquik and give a quick mix.
- Add milk and blend the mixture to get a smooth and thick milkshake.
- Sprinkle Nesquik on the top and serve hot.
[ Read: Indian Breakfast Recipe Ideas for Kids ]
5. Whole Wheat Paneer Almond Sandwich:
White bread will help you gain weight faster, but there is a glitch! Whole wheat is healthier. That is why, it is advisable to opt for dense, healthy breads, such as oats bran, rye, whole wheat, multigrain, and so on. Make a sandwich packed with protein. A protein packed whole grain sandwich plus a banana and a glass of whole milk – this will be a great weight grain breakfast idea.
- Multigrain bread slices – 4, edges trimmed
- Almonds – 12
- Sweetened peanut butter – 2 tbsp
- Paneer or cottage cheese – ¼ cup, crumbled
- Nesquik or cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp, melted
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium to high heat.
- Grease the pan with 1 tsp melted butter.
- Place two bread slices on the pan and toast until both sides turn crisp and brown. Sprinkle butter now and then.
- Repeat with rest of the bread slices as well.
- Add ½ tbsp of butter to a small pan and allow it to just heat up.
- Add almonds to heated butter and roast on low to medium flame.
- Add the cocoa powder with the peanut butter and mix well until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Apply and spread one portion each of the mixture on each of the bread slices.
- Halve the cottage cheese mixture and sprinkle on two of the bread slices.
- Halve the almonds and sprinkle on the top of the cheese.
- Cover these slices with the slices spread with peanut butter.
- Serve immediately with apple and milk.
6. High Protein Oatmeal Cookies:
These cookies can be baked and stored in an airtight container. This, paired with a glass of whole milk and a banana, makes an awesome breakfast on the run. One cookie gives you about 77 calories and a good 5 gram of protein.
- Oats – 2 cups, toasted slightly
- Eggs – 1
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Applesauce – 1/4 cup, unsweetened
- High-protein protein powder – 2 scoops
- Butter – 1 tsp, melted
- Shredded coconut – 1 tbsp, toasted
- Almonds – 3 tbsp, ground
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Scoop out one tablespoon of the cookie mixture on the greased cookie sheet at 1 inch distance.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Take out and allow it to cool down.
- Store in an airtight container and use as desired.
7. Oats And Chocolate Protein Shake:
Oats, chocolate, apple, cottage cheese, and peanut butter – wow! The combination is not just yummy, but is a wonderful way to gain weight too.
- High-protein powder – 2 scoops
- Cottage cheese – ½ cup
- Cooked oats – ½ cup
- Almond butter – 2 tbsp
- Apple – 1, large, peeled, diced into small pieces
- Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp, unsweetened
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend to a smooth mixture.
- Transfer to a tall glass, sprinkle a little cocoa powder, and serve.
8. Banana Peanut Butter Shake:
This is yet another weight gain recipe that you can have after your workout or while on the run. Packed with protein, this comes with the goodness of flax seeds too. Toast a handful of almond slices and use it as a garnish.
- Whole milk – 2 cups
- Peanut butter – 2 tbsp
- Chocolate protein powder – 2 scoops
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Flaxseeds – 1 tbsp
- Banana – 1, peeled, thinly chopped
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender to a smooth mixture.
- Transfer to a tall glass and sprinkle toasted almond slices and enjoy.
9. Peanut Butter Blueberries Protein Milkshake:
Yet another protein rich breakfast recipe, it will help you gain weight in a healthy way. Roast the oats to a golden brown hue. Use whole fat yogurt for added benefits. A chunky almond butter drink flavored with cinnamon—lip smacking!
- Full fat yogurt – 1 ½ cups
- Almond butter – 1 cup
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Chocolate whey protein powder – 1 cup
- Roasted oats – 1 cup
- Blueberries – ¼ cup
- Dates – 2 tbsp, pitted, sliced
- Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Add blueberries and dates with protein powder and butter in a blender and blend to a smooth mixture.
- Add oats, yogurt, and honey and give a quick blend.
- Serve fresh sprinkled with cinnamon powder.
10. Soya Bean Wraps:
Here comes one of the best breakfast to gain weight as protein plays a major role when it comes to weight gain. And soya beans contain about 36 grams of protein per 100 grams serving. You can include this in your wraps along with a peanut butter spread for a high calorie breakfast option. Do not forget your lettuce leaves, capsicum slices, and onion slices. Plus, a generous sprinkle of herbs!
For The Filling:
- Soya beans – ½ cup, washed, cooked just to make it soft
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Onion – 1, large, sliced finely
- Red chili flakes – to taste
For The Dough:
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water – enough to knead the dough
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Lettuce leaves – 2, washed, shredded
- Cheese – 5 tsp, crumbled
- Mixed herb seasoning – to taste
- Salted peanut butter – 5 tbsp
- Add oil to flour and salt mixture and mix well.
- Add enough water to the flour mixture and knead to make a soft dough.
- Cover with a clean muslin cloth and keep aside.
- In a deep pan, heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds and allow to splutter.
- Add onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add cooked soya beans, season as desired, and cook for a few more minutes.
How To Proceed:
- Knead the dough again and divide it into 5 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a thick circle.
- Preheat a griddle and cook one roti at a time, on either side, until brown spots appear.
- Keep aside.
- Divide the filling into 5 equal portions.
- Take one roti, spread 1 tbsp of peanut butter, and add one portion of the filling.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp crumbled cheese atop the wrap and a handful of shredded leaves.
- Sprinkle a little seasoning.
- Fold into half and serve.
Gaining weight need not necessarily mean filling yourself with cakes, pastries, or other sugary or unhealthy foods. You can eat healthy and still gain weight. Make sure your meals are balanced, packed with loads of proteins, veggies, and fruits. These are just a handful of options. You can even have pasta and noodles for breakfast. Just make sure you include protein and other essential nutrients and not just carbohydrates for achieving the desired results.
So, what would be your choice when it comes to healthy breakfast for weight gain? Share your recipes with us in the comments section below.
- 25 Delicious Pasta Recipes To Try Out Today
- 15 Yummy Indian Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes For You To Try
- 15 Easy Vegetarian Breakfast Recipes To Try Out Today
Latest posts by Nithya Shrikant (see all)
- 15 Healthy Homemade Protein Shake Recipes - March 31, 2015
- 20 Brown Rice Recipes – Healthy & Tasty - March 31, 2015
- 10 Harmful Effects Of Skipping Breakfast - March 27, 2015
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits And Nutritional Value Of Fava Beans - March 26, 2015
- 10 Simple And Delicious Mussels Recipes You Should Try - March 24, 2015