Are you looking for an option where you can find peace, serenity and calmness? Here’s what you can do! Practice meditation on a daily basis and keep your mind, body and soul rejuvenated throughout the day.
Meditation has various types and forms like Zen meditation, OM meditation, Kundalini meditation etc. All types have their different styles and techniques of performing the activity. However, the basic root of meditation remains the same.
Zen meditation is a unique type of Buddhist meditation technique that has been followed in our country since ages. Zen meditation has different variations to its practice. It can be practiced by beginners as well as advanced practitioners.
[ Read: Kundalini meditation ]
Zen is a Japanese word for ‘meditation’. That is why Zen Buddhists are sometimes also referred to as ‘Meditation Buddhists’. Zen Meditation is also known as ‘Zazen’. If you are a beginner with Zen meditation, follow the simple step-by-step instructions given below and get started:
Zen Meditation Techniques
Here is how to do zen meditation. Follow these steps to practice it perfectly.
1. Zafu/ small pillow/ cushion: Get a cushion or a pillow so that it becomes easier for you to maintain your position during the meditation session.
2. Take your position: It is very important to sit in the correct position while practicing meditation. One can sit in Ardha Padmasana or Padmasana. For sitting in Padmasana, you need to sit on the floor with your legs spread straight in front of you. Bend your right knee, lift it up with your right hand and place it on the outer side of your left thigh. Bend your left knee, lift it up with your left hand and place it on the outer side of your right thigh. Keep your hands on your knees, close your eyes and relax. Padmasana is also pronounced as ‘kekkafuza’ in Japanese.
3. Cosmic hand mudra: Place the left palm over the right palm in such a way that the right palm faces upwards. This is known as cosmic hand mudra. Place your hands on your lap. The thumbs of both the hands should be facing in the front direction. Look straight.
[ Read: Padmasana ]
4. Close your eyes and start the session: Start your session by clearing all the unnecessary thoughts from your mind. Empty your mind. Try to remove all good/ bad thoughts as far as possible. It is very important to have a clear, thought-free mind while practicing meditation.
5. Going deeper with meditation and breathing: Inhale and exhale completely and deeply. Concentrate on your breath. Watch out the way your body breathes in and out.
[ Read: Quotes On Meditation ]
6. Open your eyes and give your body a little warm up: Open your eyes; move your hands and legs, and stretch them. This will help to bring your blood pressure to its normal rate.
7. Go back to the meditative state: Close your eyes, go deeper and deeper, and feel the stillness around you. Remove all thoughts from your mind and concentrate on your inner self. Zazen is all about realizing our inner strength and making optimum use of it.
8. End the session: As you sit in the meditative state for about an hour, come out of the state in the proper manner. Release your hands and legs, and sit in a comfortable position. Perform palming (rubbing both the palms against each other) and place the palms over your eyes. Feel the warmth and energy generated by you throughout meditation. Open your eyes slowly. Relax.
[ Read: Meditation Techniques ]
Meditation can be of great help for those who go through a stressed lifestyle. It is helpful for kids as well as the elderly. Follow our steps to enjoy the benefits of Zen meditation and take your practice to the next level! Happy practicing!
Latest posts by amruta (see all)
- Top 5 Yoga Asanas For A Healthy Heart - March 24, 2014
- Top 15 Yoga Videos From YouTube - March 5, 2014
- Iyengar Yoga – What Is It And How To Practice It? - February 28, 2014
- 10 Effective Power Yoga Workouts To Reduce Weight Fast - February 8, 2014
- Top 5 yoga Asanas To Do In Bed - December 20, 2013