Red lipstick is undoubtedly the real deal, and a red pout is the quintessential sexy look. This irreplaceable item has been a staple in our makeup bags since time immemorial. A swipe of it can instantly glam you up, and yes, it’s also universally flattering. Even Rihanna and Taylor Swift can’t stop singing about red lips. If you believe in the power of red lipstick, you should know that the way it looks on you totally depends on how you apply it. This is our handy guide on how to wear red lipstick with utter perfection and pulling it off like the boss that you are!
How To Wear Red Lipstick – Tips And Tricks
Before we begin with our tutorial on how to wear red lipstick, here are a bunch of things to keep in mind to rock the perfect red pout.
- Finding your perfect red is the first hurdle. Did you know that the color red is split into various tone categories? For instance, true red, blue tone, and orange tone. Experiment with different shades to find your signature red.
- Next comes finding the finish and formula you’re most comfortable with. You can choose between matte, glossy, sheer, cream, and liquid lipstick.
- Before you begin, exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub or an old toothbrush for a smooth and flawless application. This also helps to prolong the longevity of your lipstick.
- Don’t forget to apply a nourishing lip balm or a primer to moisturize your lips before you set out to apply your lipstick.
- If you want to prevent your glossy lipstick from bleeding or feathering, use a lip pencil to line your lips before application.
- If you are a beginner, we recommend a shade like “Russian Red” by M.A.C. It’s right in the middle of warm and cool tones, making it the perfect red lipstick for every skin tone.
Tutorial – How To Apply Red Lipstick Perfectly
Here are the essentials that you need before you start applying red lipstick.
What You Need
- Lip balm
- Red lipstick
- Lip liner pencil
- Lip brush
- Face powder
[ Read: Red Lipstick Shades For Indian Skin ]
How To Wear Red Lipstick: A Step-By-Step Tutorial With Pictures
To learn how to apply red lipstick properly, follow these simple steps.
Step 1: Prep Your Lips
Apply a nourishing lip balm, preferably before you start doing your makeup, so it has enough time to get absorbed into your skin. If your lips are chapped or dry, gently exfoliate them using a wet wipe and buff away any dead skin.
Step 2: Blot Away The Lip Balm
Do not go in with your lipstick directly after prepping your lips. Instead, use a tissue to blot away the lip balm. Next, apply a light layer of powder on your lips with a brush to create a nice and dry canvas for your lipstick to adhere to.
Step 3: Apply The Lipstick
Apply lipstick before you apply your lip liner. Use a lip brush to really work the formula into your lips.
Step 4: Time For Your Lip Pencil
Use a lip pencil in a shade that matches your red lipstick to define the edges and correct any unevenness or asymmetry on the lips. You can also use the pencil to slightly (yes, just slightly) overdraw the lips to make them look poutier and fuller.
Pro Tip: Don’t use a lip liner that’s significantly lighter than your lipstick unless you want to make your lips look smaller. Also, don’t use one that’s a lot darker than your lipstick, unless you’re going for an ombre look (in which case, you must remember to blend it out really, really well).
Step 5: Blot Your Lips
Take one ply of tissue paper and press it against your lips to absorb any excess oils and then reapply another light layer of your lipstick. This will double the wear time of your lipstick.
[ Read: Complete History Of Lipsticks ]
Step 6: Clean Up
Use an angular brush with a little bit of concealer on it to clean up and sharpen the edges of your lips. You’re using the brush like an eraser to achieve a crispy, clean edge. Finally, take a brush and dip it in some face powder. Use it to powder the skin right along the edges of your lips.
This will help absorb any excess oils in the area, preventing the lipstick from melting and bleeding.
Step 7: Check For Lipstick On Your Teeth
When wearing red lipstick, we make the common mistake of not checking for stains on our teeth. Make sure you do a quick check before stepping out.
And you’re all set!
Ladies, if you’re new to lipstick, don’t be afraid to rock red just because it’s a bold color. Embrace the confidence that your red lipstick lends you! Red lipstick not only looks great with your little black dress on a special night out, but it also looks incredibly cool with a pair of jeans and a casual sweater on a Saturday afternoon.
That was our take on how to wear red lipstick perfectly and make it last all day. If you have any go-to techniques when it comes to lipstick application, feel free to share them with us in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What type of red lipstick is right for me?
When it comes to red, true reds that do not have orange or blue undertones flatter all skin tones. Choosing your lipstick finish depends on your comfort level with matte, creamy, or glossy finishes. To find out what you like best, test away!
Should I keep the rest of my makeup simple when sporting a red lip?
Yes! This especially applies to your base makeup. Make sure you don’t have a lot of blush or heavy contouring going on as this can end up looking loud and gaudy. It’s okay to enhance your eyes with a winged liner look or even a subtle smokey eyeshadow. But keeping it minimal is key.
I have gorgeous red hair. Which red lipstick should I go for?
If you have flaming red hair, coral red lipsticks will look stunning on you. Even M.A.C’s iconic Ruby Woo would be a hit on you!
I have thin lips. How do I pull off red lipstick?
Bold colors can make your lips look thinner. But if you master the application technique, you won’t have any trouble with red. Use a lip liner and stick to a red lipstick with a cream finish to make your lips look fuller.
Which red lipstick will flatter my dark hair?
Hello, brunettes! Try true reds or bright berry-colored reds, and you won’t be disappointed.
What’s a good red lipstick if I have fair to pale skin?
First of all, don’t shy away from bold colors. We recommend trying a true red, a dark brick red or a cherry red.
- How To Make Your Glossy Lipstick Look Matte?
- How To Apply Lipstick On Thin Lips?
- Top 10 Burgundy Lipsticks Available In India
- 10 Best Selling MAC Red Lipsticks
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- 9 Of The Best Green Concealers To Cancel Out Redness - October 10, 2019
- The 9 Differences Between Loving Someone And Being In Love - October 9, 2019
- 9 Of The Best Rainbow Highlighters Out There - September 30, 2019
- 10 Of The Best Morphe Brushes Of All Time - September 30, 2019
- What Is the Difference Between Primer, Foundation, And Concealer? - September 30, 2019