Is your hair straight from the roots but starts to get wavy from the mid-lengths? You have 2B hair. Although they look tousled and naturally styled, the beachy waves can get frizzy. Hence, this hair type requires proper care and attention.
A hair care routine designed especially for your curl pattern will keep it smooth and healthy. This article explains how 2B hair types must be taken care of. Scroll down to explore 2B hair wash day routines and a lot more.
Table Of Contents
What Is 2B Hair Type?
Hair type is defined through a digit and an alphabet. Type 2 is wavy hair, type 3 is curly hair, and type 4 is coiled hair. The second part of the definition (the alphabet) is the sub-classification. A type means a large hair diameter, B type will have a moderate diameter, and C type will have a small diameter.
2B hair refers to wavy hair with a moderate curl diameter. The curl pattern is straight at the roots and wavy at the tips. From the center of the strand until its end, the S-shaped curl is evident.
This type of hair might develop frizz at the crown and get unmanageable, especially when exposed to humidity. Your hair can also get messy and dry when the climate is a little damp. 2B hair type is light and easily weighed down by hair products.
These are among the major challenges that can make maintaining 2B hair tricky. Here are a few ways to manage it effectively.
How To Take Care Of 2B Hair
1. Shampooing And Washing
2B hair is more prone to greasiness than straight hair since it covers a larger surface area and makes it difficult for extraneous particles to leave. The flakes are stuck in your tresses for extended periods, and hence, it is essential to have a set hair wash and shampoo routine. The best way to ensure that your hair remains healthy is by co-washing it every alternate day. You can also shampoo your hair about twice or thrice a week. Indulge in a deep conditioning treatment once every two weeks.
Plopping is useful for wavy and curly hair types to retain the shape of the curls. This technique involves wrapping your damp hair loosely with a cotton T-shirt or microfiber towel and placing it on your head like a mound to dry it after a wash. The curls get the scrunch naturally, which helps reduce frizz. Plopping also helps improve the definition and volume of your hair.
3. Managing Flat Roots
There are no curls at the roots in the 2B hair type. This comes in the way if you want your hair to have volume and definition. Style your hair upside down and opt for various clipping methods to make your hair appear voluminous from the roots.
4. Increasing Protein Intake
Protein is the building block of your hair, and its deficiency can often lead to weak hair or breakage. A protein-rich diet is crucial for healthy locks and hair growth. Up your protein intake to transform your damaged hair into healthy tresses within a few days.
5. Using A Diffuser
A diffuser is the best friend of the 2B hair type as it helps enhance the curls’ shape. It eliminates frizz and helps you achieve salon-like smooth and shiny hair.
Are you familiar with the curly girl method? Well, this technique helps treat your 2B hair. It softens frizzy waves and curls, repairs damage, and makes them healthy. You can also customize this flexible hair care routine as per the state of your hair. Check out the steps involved in washing your hair with the curly girl method. Scroll down.
The Curly Girl Method For 2B Hair
Note: Always use lightweight and chemical-free products during the curly girl method.
The following hair care routine is essential to keep your type 2B hair healthy.
2B Hair Care Routine
2B Hair Wash Routine
- Pre-wash: Apply a deep conditioning mask and leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Shampoo: Wash your hair with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo or cleanser.
- Condition: Apply a leave-in conditioner to your hair.
- Detangling: Use your fingers or a paddled brush to detangle your wet hair.
- Styling: Towel dry your waves or let them air dry naturally. Use a diffuser to heat style your hair for shiny, bouncy curls.
2B Hair Refresh Routine
You can try this 2B hair routine to rejuvenate your curls the next day:
- Spritz your hair with a solution made of water and a leave-in conditioner.
- If your hair still seems out of shape, apply some curl-enhancing gel and treat the waves that do not look fine.
- Flip your hair forward and run your fingers through the curls. This is effective if you want to make your hair look bouncy and voluminous.
Summing It Up
2B hair looks gorgeous, but the challenge to maintain it is real. This hair type often becomes frizzy, oily, and greasy, leading to breakage and damage. Hence, it is essential to follow a hair care routine specific to this curl pattern. Add protein to your diet and maintain a proper hair wash regimen to make your 2B hair healthy and smooth.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Does the curly girl method reduce frizz?
Yes. The curly girl method is extremely beneficial in reducing frizzy hair.
What ingredients should you avoid in the curly girl method?
Avoid sulfates, silicones, mineral oil, parabens, and petroleum in the curly girl method as they can damage your hair.
- 11 Best Products For 2B Hair
- 20 Must-Have Products For Wavy Hair
- What Are The Different Hair Types? How To Determine Your Hair Type?
- Different Types Of Curls – Curly Hair Type Guide
Latest posts by Shiboli Chakraborti (see all)
- DIY Ginger Face Masks And Their Benefits - April 15, 2021
- 10 Best Aluminum Kadais Available In India - April 15, 2021
- 10 Best TV Units Available In India + Buying Guide - April 15, 2021
- How Often Should You Exfoliate Your Skin? - April 14, 2021
- How Often Should You Wash Curly Hair? - April 14, 2021