Coming up with your 40th birthday ideas may not be as easy as you think. Do you want to celebrate it with pomp and grandeur but caught up in your busy work schedule? You cannot afford to take any chances. Of course, all birthdays are special, but something is more special about the 40th birthday. This phase in your life is considered as Ruby Jubilee, where you may be starting to achieve or have achieved what you had planned as a youngster. So, celebrate your success and make your birthday bash memorable for you and your guests. From choosing the menu and theme to organizing fun activities, this article lists some of the best ideas to celebrate your 40th birthday. Keep scrolling to check them out.
In This Article
Unforgettable 40th Birthday Party Ideas
Even if it’s not your 40th birthday, you can plan surprise parties, trips, and games for your loved ones by using your creativity. From a wide array of options to choose from, we’re here to rescue you by narrowing down the options to the most creative 40th birthday ideas.
40th Birthday Ideas For Her
Want some catchy ideas for a 40th birthday celebration for a woman? Considering the interests and personality of that woman reaching 40, you can plan to choose a gift for her birthday.
- Jade Roller Face Massager: With her advancing age, a woman cannot turn back to her younger appearance. However, growing old gracefully can be attained by using a jade roller to soothe her skin and keep it firm.
- Candles And Perfumes: Candles characterized by unique scents will be appreciated by every woman. Gifting fragrances are a mainstream thing; still, it never fails to impress a woman.
- Designer Bag: Whether you give her a Gucci or Chanel bag, she will light up with joy if she is obsessed with maintaining a collection.
- High-quality Wine: A bottle of vintage wine from a renowned brand can make for a highly sophisticated birthday gift that even the two of you can share a moment over.
- Antique Decor: A thoughtful and unique piece of decor that suits her home vibe and her taste or adds some value to her collection will show how much you pay attention to her.
- Sunglasses: A stylish pair of luxury sunglasses is one of the most useful gifts that a woman have, especially if she’s a working woman who needs to go out during the day.
40th Birthday Ideas For Him
To commemorate this special birthday, you can give a man something extraordinary, ranging from something simple to fancy.
- A Watch Case: To keep his watches organized and clean, an exquisite wooden and leather watch case with his name engraved on it can be one of the best gifts to give anyone.
- Connoisseur Wine Set Box: Is that man a wine lover? If yes, you can give him this amazing classy box set that comes with stainless steel wine glasses. It will be a unique addition to his collection.
- A Beer Brewing Machine: For someone hitting off their 40’s who is a beer lover too, what can be a better gift than a brewing machine?!
- Cruise Party: Renting a cruise ship for a grand celebration of one’s 40th birthday is quite extravagant.
- Leather Goods: All stylish men like high-quality leather accessories, such as a wallet, watch strap, belt, or briefcase.
- Art Pieces: Any piece of art that suits his taste and personality will be appreciated by a man who likes to build collections.
- Luxury Pen: A sophisticated fountain pen is a great present for any office-holding professional to use and keep on their table.
- Cufflinks: Designer cufflinks from a renowned brand makes any formal attire much more polished and detailed.
40th Birthday Celebration Ideas For Husband
Being together with him for more than a decade, no person other than you can be savvy about his preferences.
- Plan A Wine And Dine Feast: This can be planned at a luxurious eatery or home with his dear ones around.
- Get Him A Decanter Set: He will be beyond happy and won’t stop flaunting to his buddies if you give him a decanter set to hold his whiskey.
- A Dress Watch Will Add Elegance To His Personality: As he ages, let him wear a dress watch to match his professional wardrobe. That will beef up his personality.
- Hey, Have You Forgotten About A Card Holder?: A cardholder is a functional gift because it will let him keep his cards organized.
- A Golf-Set And A Golf Mat Are The Best Combination: You can see him play and relax together with his buddies during his leisure time or on weekends.
- Subscription Service: Get a subscription of services according to his interest, such as books, snacks, alcohol, perfumes, etc.
- Grooming Kit: A high-end grooming kit with multiple tools and luxury personal care products is a smart choice.
- Fitness Machine: If he is into fitness and you have a home gym, you can consider gifting a machine he would like to have in there.
- Photoshoot: For a person who likes to face the camera, a professional photoshoot can be an amazing treat.
- Gaming Set: Nothing can make a gaming enthusiast happier than having the latest gaming set to play and flaunt.
40th Birthday Celebration Ideas For Wife
The first tip for a spouse is not to crack sarcastic jokes about aging as she might take it the wrong way. Try and make her embrace her big 40th birthday by making it unforgettable. Also, never forget to consider her interests as she might prefer being simplistic over anything fancy. So, what are you waiting for? Take the chance and celebrate her big day!
- Organize A Romantic Getaway Dinner: When your wife is pretty low-key, it would be best to take her on a romantic dinner date.
- Book Her A Spa Appointment: The best way to pamper her is by booking her a salon service.
- Buy Her A Customized Set Of Hair And Beauty Care Products: A woman’s foremost preference for self-care products can be fulfilled by gifting her a customized set of beauty products.
- A Jewelry Gift Will Be Relished: This is a safe yet precious option to choose from. If she is an ardent jewelry lover, you can choose to engrave it with a birthstone, quote, or her name.
- Don’t You Think Cards Are A Good Idea?: For her 40th birthday, you can prepare a customized designer birthday card that would print her photo inside it. I swear, it would bring a smile to her beautiful face.
- Custom Portrait: Stimulate her artistic vein, and have her portrait made that she can proudly keep on display in her home.
- Luxury Shoes: If she is into designer footwear, there must be some luxury shoes that she has been eyeing for a while, which you can surprise her with.
- Flowers Bouquets: Most women love flowers, so just sign her up for a monthly bouquet subscription to see that smile every month.
- Cashmere Pieces: For a fall birthday girlie, this is the most suitable gift. A cashmere scarf or sweater is the perfect accessory for completing a fall birthday outfit.
- Staycation: Plan a weekend getaway in a high-end hotel and get her a well deserved break that she deserves on her birthday.
40th Birthday Trip Ideas
To make a milestone birthday memorable, you can plan trips or go on a vacation with your loved ones. Depending and reckoning on the budget, you can plan a one-night stay or a getaway trip for a week or so.
- Active Adventures: Hiking, trekking, mountain climbing, and camping are deemed exhilarating adventures.
- Safari: If you are an animal lover, plan on going for safari journeys. You can enjoy sightseeing, nature as well as wild animals.
- Beaches: You can enjoy the sun and the sea together if you go to a beach.
- Historical And Cultural Sights: Some people yearn to visit places of historical significance, and cultural value as those sights prove to be enthralling for them.
- Wine-tasting Tour: A perfect getaway for a wine connoisseur, this can be a lifetime experience alongside the best wine throughout the trip.
- Cultural Tour: A trip through Asian countries exploring temples, landscapes, and traditions could be a holistic life experience.
- Cruise: Let the voyager inside you take a fresh breath as you embark on a cruise trip on the deep waters.
- Road Trip: A road trip with your friends or family visiting all the landmarks on the way sounds like a Hollywood movie script, doesn’t it?
- Culinary Tour: For any foodie, a culinary tour tasting different cuisines for several days a stretch can be a dream come true. These places can be hidden gems in the city or even a world food tour.
40th Birthday Party Theme Ideas
Don’t you all agree that organizing a birthday party based on a theme makes it a lot more exciting and fun? Of course, it does. We tried to gather ideas for birthday party-related themes and listed them below for your convenience.
- Beer Theme Party: A beer bash inclusive of fun games and a great source of entertainment props based on beer themes can be a show-stealer.
- Retro Theme: A charming retro theme birthday bash will bring back all the memories of the past years that the person has lived and enjoyed.
- Beach Theme: For a summer birthday, get the full-on vibes of a beach by bringing in decorations such as a tropical drinks bar and organizing sandcastle competitions.
- Musical Theme: If the person is a music lover, plan a party based on their preference of musical genres, which can range from jazz to pop music. Hang pictures and play songs of the famous artists and bands belonging to the chosen genre.
- Casino Theme: Arrange a gambling night for your friends and family and keep small rewards and prizes to keep it light and jolly all along.
- Hollywood Theme: Pick one era of your choice and ask your guests to come dressed as their favorite Hollywood stars to your fun night.
- Superhero Theme: Who says superheroes are for kids only? If the birthday person is a fan of superhero movies or comics, this would make a great theme for their party.
- Garden Theme: For a sophisticated and high-class party, choose a garden tea-party theme and enjoy a tranquil time with your favorite people.
40th Birthday Decoration Ideas
If you are someone with a potential for unleashing creativity, you can be the best at choosing the decorations keeping in mind how subtle or vibrant they need to be.
- Color Coordination: Try to keep the entire decoration limited to one or two particular hues. It will give an organized and vibrant look.
- Pastel Decor: With pastel-colored accessories and dresses, go for pastel balloons and streamers as well.
- Colored Lights: Based on the mood of the party you want to create, you can go for DIY setups.
- A Photobooth: Installing a photo booth at the party adds fun and brings smiles to people’s faces.
- Balloons: Smartly curated balloon arches with different colors and elements like flowers and ribbons look amazing.
- Photos: Using collages for decorations adds a nostalgic touch and is a great idea for an intimate party.
- Candles: Scented candles not only make the room smell nice but also add a touch of sophistication.
- Flowers: Flowers bring life to any place and they especially enliven the party space be it a day or evening party.
40th Birthday Food Ideas
In addition to the snacks, appetizers, meals, and drinks, you can plan on these ideas.
- Wine And Champagne Tasting: Send Invitations to the guests to taste different types of wine as well as champagne.
- BBQ Grill: A barbeque setup in your backyard will give way to a perfect night party.
- Dessert Buffet: Who would not like relishing something sweet after dining? To offer this, set up a table with a cake, cupcakes, pastries, tarts, and other desserts.
- Food Stalls: A food truck, oriental food corner, or ice cream on wheels can be a bountiful addition to a party.
- Gourmet Pizza Stall: Who does not like pizza? Arrange a stall with different types of pizza and toppings for your guests to make their own unique kind.
- Seafood Feast: There’s nothing wrong with going a little extravagant once in a while, so include a seafood feast and watch your guests rejoice.
- Salad Station: Vegans and vegetarians should not be overlooked and what can be better than fresh salad plates and fruit bowls?
- Chocolate Stalls: Satisfy your party’s sweet tooth with a delicious platter of chocolate dishes.
40th Birthday Game Ideas
Looking for some game ideas suitable for adults celebrating their milestone birthday? Here is a list of game ideas for the 40th birthdays.
- Trivia Night: What can be more interesting than a fun trivia night with drinks and food!
- Predicting The Future: Provide the guests with a paper and a pen and ask them to predict the life of the birthday girl or guy after five years or so.
- Karaoke Night Competition: You can add karaoke to the birthday celebration as well. Get competitive with karaoke and have fun with your friends and family.
- Never Have I Ever: As cliche as it may be, it is one of the most fun drinking games to play with your friends, especially as you turn older with more experiences.
- Two Truths And A Lie: It is a great way to get to know more about your guests and make the party more interesting.
- Charades: Make your party more fun without any extra arrangements with this classic and awesome game that has everyone involved equally.
Infographic: Top 8 40th Birthday Ideas To Surprise Your Partner
Your partner’s birthday is always special. And if they are celebrating their ruby jubilee, it calls for a special celebration. While the list we have shared above will give you plenty of ideas to make their day special, we have shortlisted the best 8 gift and celebration ideas that stay in our memories forever. Scroll down and check out the infographic.
Turning 40 is indeed something special. This is the time of your life when you are reaping the benefits of your hard work. While your busy work schedule may not allow you much time, this article gives you some of the best 40th birthday ideas to make your birthday a thundering celebration. You can organize a simple and beautiful romantic dinner at home with some games and wonderful decorations to celebrate your partner. If you want something adventurous, book a safari journey, or a comfortable stay at the beach. Whatever you decide, make sure you make it a memorable one.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the 40th birthday called?
The 40th birthday anniversary can be called a ruby jubilee.
What do you wear to a 40th birthday party?
You should wear dresses that give you a royal look to a 40th birthday party. Fabrics like satin, silk, chiffon, and velvet can be a good pick. Furthermore, keep the theme in mind while getting ready for a party.
What should I cook for my 40th birthday?
The food options are virtually endless. So, you should cook a dish that you enjoy and is also loved by most.
- The 40th birthday, or the Ruby Jubilee, is truly special.
- You can plan surprise theme parties, trips, and games to make the day unforgettable, exciting, and fun.
- Make sure you keep in mind the tastes and preferences of the person to make it a memorable day for them.
Make your dear one’s 40th birthday memorable. Watch this video for the best gift ideas that will show how much you care for them.