6 Must Know Beauty Tips for Oily Skin
Oily skin can take you through tough times as the sebaceous glands are over-active, producing excess sebum, contributing to a shiny, greasy-looking face and skin concerns such as acne, blackheads and whiteheads, enlarged or clogged pores etc. Pollution and dirt can even lead to comedones (skin-bumps) for those with very oily skin. The solution for this is to keep the oil production in control by following some simple beauty and skin care tips for oily skin.
At the outset, you should know something positive about oily skin too. Oily skin is less prone to wrinkles and other signs of ageing primarily because the oil tends to lock the moisture into the epidermis which is the outermost layer of the skin.
In This Article
Beauty Tips For Oily Skin:
These are the 6 tips for facial for oily skin:
1. Say ‘Yes’ to Cleansing!:
One of the tried and tested ways to control excess oil is to cleanse it and keep it clean at all times. It is important to cleanse your face twice or thrice daily to rid it of all the accumulated dirt and oil build-up which leads to clogged pores, acne etc. Gel-based or foaming cleansers is the best of the tips for oily skin. Look for cleansers/face washes that are oil-free. Medicated soaps are also useful for cleansing oily skin. However, do not resort to abrasive cleansing techniques as this will strip your skin of its natural moisture, leading to the sebaceous glands producing more oil. Look for a product that contains one or more of these ingredients: Salicylic Acid, Tea tree oil, Neem, Turmeric, Honey.
[ Read: Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dull Skin ]
2. Scrubbing is Good for Oily Skin!:
It is imperative to exfoliate oily skin once or twice a week. This is another one of the very important oily skin tips. The excess sebum produced leads to dead skin cells on the skin’s surface, resulting in pimples, acne, whiteheads, and blackheads, and of course a dull-looking skin. To eliminate dirt and dead skin cells and renew your skin’s surface, as well as to keep breakouts at bay, include exfoliation in your skin care routine. Again, be gentle and do not scrub your skin in a harsh manner.
3. Weekly Face Masks are Highly Effective:
After exfoliation, follow up with a face mask. This weekly step of the oily skin care tips is very vital too. Those face packs or masks containing Kaolin and Bentonite clay, Sandalwood, Fuller’s Earth (Multani mitti) are very good for oily skin as these gently absorb excess oil.
[ Read: Homemade Cleansers For Oily Skin ]
Weekly home beauty tips for oily skin: Home made face masks:
- Mash the pulp of a ripe papaya, add half a lemon to this; mix nicely; apply on face and massage well; leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse with cold water. This controls oil very well.
- Peel a fresh apple and cut it into thin slices; blend these and add 2 tbsp of honey to it; make a smooth paste and apply on your face. Leave on for 15-20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. This will control shine, tighten pores and hydrate your skin naturally.
[ Read: Fairness Tips For Oily Skin ]
4. Use an Alcohol-Free Toner Everyday:
Toning daily will help in eliminating excess oil and banishing dirt from your skin. skin care with rosewater is very good toner. Even a good alcohol-free drugstore brand can be used for regulating sebum.
5. Do not Skip Moisturizer!:
Contrary to popular belief, oily skin needs moisturizing and hydration. Stripping the skin of moisture will only further encourage the sebaceous glands to produce more oil to compensate. Hence opt for an oil-free, non-comedogenic, water-based moisturizer.
6. Wear Sunscreen Always:
The fear of greasiness prompts many oily-skinned women to skip sunscreen. The end result – brown spots, pigmentation and freckles resulting from sun exposure. Hence opt for a gel-based sunscreen or a best sunscreen for oily skin, that will leave your face matte and offer adequate sun protection. Stay away from junk and sugary foods; drink lots of water to stay hydrated and flush out toxins, eat at least one fruit daily and include green, leafy veggies in your diet. All these together will regulate the amount of oil that your skin produces.
Makeup Tips for Oily Skin:
Now, after the basic routine is finished, we proceed with makeup application part. The key to applying makeup on oily skin is prepping your skin.
- Prime your skin before you start, use a primer which is formulated for oily, acne prone skin. Never opt to use an old primer because it tends to get sticky and shinier after a few hours. A good primer acts as a good base for your makeup. It plays an important role in absorbing the oil that our glands produce. This in turn will help in making our makeup last longer on oily skin. The oil that is produced causes makeup to fade, streak and look all weird if you don’t use a good primer. Always apply the primer after you have toned and moisturized your skin.
[ Read: Shanaz Husains BeautyTips For Oily Skin ]
- Oily skin looks the best when minimal number of products is used. Always opt for more concealer because it contains less oil than foundation. If you must use foundation, use an oil- free foundation or mineral foundation as it tends to fill your pores and make your skin look even. It also lessens the possibility of you developing acne and other skin problems. Always stick to applying the foundation with your fingertips – Make sure they are clean, using a brush with increase your chances of developing acne problems. Refrain from slapping on foundation on your problem areas like acne on your face – This will only accentuate them making your skin look uneven.
- After your foundation is applied, wait for it to settle into your skin for 5- 10 minutes. The next step after this will be to set your foundation with a translucent, light powder. Always refrain from using powders that have shimmer in it because it will eventually make you look like a disco ball. Always target the main areas like forehead and bridge of nose because that area tends to get oilier. Gently sweep the powder in circles using a kabuki or powder brush for an air- brushed look.
- If you wish to proceed further – You may apply blush and eye- shadow. Powder based blush and eyeshadow will work best for oily skin. Always prefer water- proof makeup products because products like eyeliner tend to get messy when they come into contact with your skin oils. Waterproof makeup tend to be resistant to oil and lasts longer. If you use makeup in powdered form it important that you blend your makeup well. Always blend eye-shadows, avoid harsh lines – this will only make you look like a clown.
- After you are done, set your makeup with a makeup finishing spray. This setting spray will set your makeup and help it to last longer. It forms a barrier over your makeup and resists oil production. Just a few sprays will help set your makeup. It also prevents you looking all caked up and lets your skin breathe.
Once, you are all set, you need to keep a small kit ready for standby in desperate times. Always carry a translucent powder and oil- blotting sheets. You can always add touch –ups of compact or translucent powder to control the oil. Oil blotting sheets also do a good job to control oil production. If you start looking like a shiny ball – just blot away the oil with the help of good blotting sheets. These are the must known natural beauty tips for oily skin make up!
[ Read: Shanaz Husain Beauty Tips For Skin Pigmentation ]
Following the above steps will definitely help you to deal with the common skin issues that oily skinned-women face. Feel free to share your experiences and thoughts if any with us.
- 7 Makeup Basics for Oily Skin
- Best Soaps For Oily Skin – Our Top 10
- Best Sunscreen Lotions For Oily Skin – Our Top 10 Picks
- Oily Skin – Causes, Prevention, Treatments
- Best Hair Conditioners For Oily Hair – Our Top 10