What Is A Promise Ring? How It Differs From An Engagement Ring
Understand when to use which ring to make it memorable for your partner.
Wondering what a promise ring is and why it is exchanged? It is a way of affirming your commitment and loyalty to your partner, and you are expected to abide by your promise at all costs. So, how and when has this tradition come into existence? It dates back to hundreds of years ago in Victorian England, where women used to gift engraved gold bands to men affirming their love and affection.
However, the age-old tradition has evolved and become a common practice for both sexes to exchange these rings. So, how do you give a promise ring? In this article, we will explore how a promise ring looks like, who should wear it, and how it differs from an engagement ring. Let us get started.
In This Article
What Is A Promise Ring?
A promise ring is given by an individual to their partner, promising them the intention of a future engagement. The two most popular metals for these rings are gold and platinum. The ring size is usually one-quarter or less than the size of the fiancée’s ring finger. This proposal may be either followed by a wedding ceremony or ‘ring warming’.
Promise rings are usually offered months or even years before an engagement, depending on the couple’s preferences. A promise ring is usually worn on the ring or middle finger of the right hand, but there is no hard and fast rule. It is gifted by young men when they ask their girl to spend the rest of her life with them and make a formal promise. This is perceived as the next step towards an engagement ring.
A promise ring signifies the commitment and is sometimes considered an engagement proposal. However, couples can also use a promise ring to show their loyalty and devotion. Keep reading to find out the real purpose of a promise ring.
What Is The Purpose Of A Promise Ring?
A promise ring symbolizes a couple’s commitment to each other. It is also a reminder that they will stay committed even if the relationship goes through hard times. Some couples wear matching rings to signify they belong to each other no matter what may come between. Promise rings are mostly worn by couples in a serious relationship but have not taken the next step to get engaged. They serve as a reminder of the promise between each other.
A promise ring is a symbol of commitment and is considered a pre-engagement ring. So, if you want to present a promise ring to your significant other, it is important to clarify what you are promising. Here are some tips to present the promise ring with elegance, courtesy, and pride.
How Do You Give A Promise Ring?
- You can catch your partner off-guard by surprising them with this gift in a romantic setting. It is best to gift a promise ring when you are alone without any witness to the moment.
- Take your partner for a walk in the woods or sit by the fire on a cozy night. This intimate setting will perfectly match the ring proposal and memorable event.
- Take a day off from work and go out on a date with your partner somewhere they have always wanted to visit or something they wanted to explore.
- Plan for a memorable weekend getaway and arrange a romantic setting with wine, flowers, and music before popping the question and presenting the promise ring.
- Plan this moment to coincide with your anniversary or their birthday, making it all the more meaningful. You can also choose Valentine’s Day as the perfect occasion for exchanging promise rings with your soulmate.
Which finger you wear your promise ring depends on personal preference, rather than on any hard and fast rule. Check out below a few options you can consider.
What Finger Is A Promise Ring Worn On?
Promise rings can be worn on any finger, but they are most commonly worn on the right hand’s ring finger. This spot is a less formal alternative to an engagement ring, often worn on the left hand.
However, there is no hard and fast rule. One can wear a promise ring on either hand as per their choice, but the most popular places are the right hand’s ring or middle finger (for women) and the pinky or ring finger (for men).
The next sections explain what a promise ring looks like, the differences between a promise ring and an engagement ring, and what happens to the ring after break up. Read on for more information.
What Does A Promise Ring Look Like?
A promise ring can appear like an engagement ring, or it can be simple like any other piece of jewelry. It is up to you and your partner what kind of design you want, but remember, the simpler the design, the less formal it will look (unless that is something you are interested in).
While an engagement ring is seen as a piece of fine jewelry, a promise ring is worn casually. It is often is more symbolic than the engagement ring and represents an unspoken commitment between two people.
Promise rings are usually made of metals plated with silver or gold, wood, or leather. They can be decorated with gemstones, engravings, ornate detailing, or even non-jewelry pieces like bracelets or necklaces.
You can decide to keep it simple or extravagant, depending on your budget and preferences. It is entirely up to you what you want to make the ring look like. The only constant factor behind the efforts should be the intent and commitment.
Promise Rings Vs. Engagement Rings
- Most engagement rings are worn on the left hand, while promise rings are usually worn on the right.
- Some choose promise rings because they believe their relationship isn’t mature enough to handle the commitment of an engagement ring. Also, engagement rings are for couples about to get married and not committing for the future unofficially.
- A promise ring signifies an unspoken promise between two people, while an engagement ring symbolizes the intention to get married. Couples present each other with promise rings before gifting an engagement ring.
What Happens To The Ring If You Break Up?
What usually happens is both parties keep the rings as a sign of respect for each other. But there are no promises or obligations to do so. If you have given someone a ring, you shouldn’t feel they are obliged to wear it if the relationship ends. Similarly, if you have received a promise ring, you can do whatever you want after breaking up.
It is entirely up to the couple what happens to the ring when things aren’t working out. Sometimes, people salvage their relationship or decide to return the ring. People also decide to ask back the ring as they see it as a symbol of their failed relationship and don’t want to keep hurtful memories.
Infographic: Tips To Choose The Perfect Promise Ring
A promise ring symbolizes your commitment to your partner and the desire to propose marriage eventually. Now that you know its importance and how to wear it, let’s move on to how to find the perfect ring. Check out the infographic below to make sure you choose the best ring for your partner. Keep scrolling.
Promising to spend the rest of your life with someone is a big deal, and it should be done after careful consideration. Once you promise and commit to your partner forever, it will always be that way, no matter what life throws at you. So while promise rings may or may not necessarily mean marriage, it is a serious step in your relationship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a promise ring the same as a purity ring?
No. A purity ring is put on the fourth finger of the left hand with the promise to remain sexually abstinent until marriage. Purity rings are usually given by parents or religious figures and not exchanged privately by couples.
Are promise rings bad?
No. The choice to get a promise ring depends entirely on the couple. If you both think it is an appropriate step in your relationship, go for it! However, if both parties aren’t ready for the commitment or feel pressured, do not move forward with the venture.
Do you kneel for a promise ring?
No, kneeling is for an engagement ring proposal.
What happens to a promise ring after engagement?
It completely depends on your personal preference and mutual decisions. You may chose to replace it with your engagement ring, wear both together, or move it to another finger as you feel comfortable.
Is 6 months too early for a promise ring?
If you are already discussing your future plans and plan to get married in near future, then 4-6 months is a good time to express your commitment with a promise ring.
- A promise ring is considered an engagement proposal. Couples give it to express loyalty and love towards their partner.
- A promise ring can be given on Valentine’s day, on your dinner night, or even on a peaceful evening walk.
- This ring is generally worn on the right hand’s ring finger, but you can wear it as per your choice.
- It can be made with any metal like silver, gold, or even wood or leather.