Looking for a way to transform your limp, lifeless, and lackluster hair? It’s time you added activated charcoal to your hair care routine. The beauty and wellness industry is flooded with charcoal-based detox drinks and faces masks. This trend has now taken over hair care, too! Products with activated charcoal gently exfoliate the scalp to remove product build-up and excess sebum without any side effects. It is suitable for all hair textures and claimed to promote hair growth and fight dandruff. So, is this natural, non-toxic product really great for your hair? Or, is it just a passing trend? Let’s find out.
Table Of Contents
What Is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal is made by processing carbon-rich materials such as coconut shells, coal, bone char, peat, sawdust, and fruit pits at very high temperatures to form a super adsorbent and fine powder.
It is different from the normal charcoal you get when you burn coal or other substances since it is usually prepared by the gas activation method and chemical activation. It is used for detoxification due to its porous nature and higher surface area (1). Thus, it is commonly used orally to absorb toxins from the stomach and kidney and topically used to cleanse your skin, teeth, and hair.
The detoxifying power of activated charcoal has made it a popular ingredient in the cosmetic industry. It is commonly used in face masks, face cleansers, and toothpaste. However, did you know that it can be used for cleansing hair, too? Find out the many benefits of using activated charcoal for your hair and scalp in the next section.
What Are The Benefits Of Charcoal For Your Hair?
There are many alleged benefits of activated charcoal on your hair. These include:
- Cleanser: Charcoal is a safe and natural alternative to cleanse and remove toxins, dirt, and excess oils from your hair and scalp. It absorbs all the grime and grease from the scalp, thus leaving it squeaky clean.
- Non-Toxic: It is free from harsh chemicals as it is made from organic substances.
- Gentle: The fine texture of activated charcoal allows for gentle yet effective cleansing without stripping the hair of its natural oils.
- Soothes The Scalp: Activated charcoal can be used by people with sensitive skin to treat various scalp conditions such as flakiness, irritation, and itchiness. Thus, it is recommended as a popular home remedy for treating dandruff.
- Detoxifier: It is used to remove toxins such as chemicals from your hair, especially due to pollution or swimming in chlorinated pools. It is safe to use on colored hair, but it can stain lighter hair colors.
- Suits All hair types: Since activated charcoal is made with natural ingredients, it can be used safely by everyone.
- Volumizer: Activated charcoal removes product residue from your hair, thus boosting its volume. It is especially effective in removing the leftover dry shampoo from your hair.
- Boosts Hair Growth: Anecdotal evidence suggests that activated charcoal unclogs the hair follicles to promote hair growth. Thus, it is a popular hair care ingredient used in shampoos for its cleansing and detoxifying properties.
It is important to note that all of these benefits of activated charcoal for hair are based on anecdotal evidence. There is no scientific evidence to prove the same.
Now, let’s check out how you can use activated charcoal on your hair!
How To Use Activated Charcoal For Hair Growth
There are two easy ways to use activated charcoal for hair growth.
I. Activated Charcoal With Shampoo
You can just add a tablespoon of activated charcoal to your regular shampoo (make sure it is sulfate-free). Wash your hair as usual with this activated charcoal-infused shampoo. Keep in mind that charcoal can stain your hair and is messy to clean. It is better to avoid this method if you have light or blonde hair.
II. Charcoal Hair Mask
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of activated charcoal powder
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Heat up the coconut oil until it has melted completely.
- Mix the activated charcoal powder with the coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp.
- Gently massage your scalp in circular motions. This will boost blood circulation and help in gentle exfoliation.
- Keep this hair mask on for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water and a mild shampoo.
If these DIYs are not your cup of tea, there are plenty of hair care products with activated charcoal that you can incorporate into your hair care routine. Keep reading to find out the best charcoal products for your hair.
Best Activated Charcoal Products To Try
This zesty charcoal-based conditioner helps detox your hair from all the products and treatments, leaving it soft, shiny, and healthy. This deep conditioner restores moisture to your tresses. It is safe for color-treated hair too. Simply use it once a week or alternate it between washes.
- Gets rid of the build-up on your hair and scalp
- Suitable for colored hair
- Imparts shine to the hair
- Contains phenoxyethanol
Briogeo Scalp Revival Charcoal + Tea Tree Scalp Treatment is an award-winning product. This antibacterial charcoal and tea tree scalp treatment are worth a try. It removes product build-up from your hair and soothes your scalp. Its regular use can combat itchiness and flaking. It also contains biotin, which is nourishing and promotes hair growth.
- Soothes dry, itchy scalp
- Strengthens the hair
Sweat, styling products, dirt, and natural sebum can build up on your scalp and hair over time. This often leads to clogged hair follicles and scalp itchiness and irritation. If left unchecked, this can even cause hair loss. This is where activated charcoal comes to the rescue. It gently but effectively absorbs product residue and removes scalp build-up. This natural, non-toxic cleanser and detoxifier is safe, effective, and easy to use.
- 7 Best Recommended Hair Masks For Dandruff – 2021
- How To Make Homemade Dry Shampoo? 10 Best DIY Dry Shampoo Recipes
- 14 Best Sulfate-Free Shampoos Available In India
- 17 Ayurvedic Treatments For Dandruff
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- Dull Hair – Causes, Treatments and Home Remedies - May 2, 2021
- Does Radiation Therapy Always Cause Hair Loss? - May 2, 2021
- PCOS Hair Loss: Causes, Signs, Treatment, Remedies and More - May 2, 2021
- Hair Loss After Surgery – Know The Facts Here - April 27, 2021
- Androgenic Alopecia – Causes, Treatment, And More - April 26, 2021