Acupressure Points for Hair Growth: Benefits And How To Do It
Learn everything about using acupressure points to get beautiful tresses.
Acupressure is the method of applying pressure on certain points of the body to achieve particular benefits. But can you use these acupressure points for hair growth? Science tells us that a good scalp massage can promote blood flow and stimulate hair growth (1). However, does this work for acupressure as well? Keep reading to know if acupressure can improve hair growth.
Acupressure is part of traditional Chinese medicinal techniques (like acupuncture without the pointy needles). It uses the flow of energy to resolve various issues. It is based on the principle that there exist certain acupoints (pressure points) on the body’s meridian (2). Energy, known as qi or chi, passes through these meridiansi XEnergy pathways in the body that allow the energy (qi) to flow through the body. connecting certain organs to each other.
Scroll down to know the science and benefits of using acupressure to aid hair growth.
In This Article
How Does Acupressure Promote Hair Growth?
- A 2016 study showed that massaging the scalp can improve hair thickness (1). Massaging boosts blood circulation and stimulates the hair follicles. Acupressure is a reflexologyi XMassages focusing on the reflex points in the hands, feet, back, and head to treat illnesses and release tension massage therapy and may have similar benefits.
- The pressure points at the fingernail beds can be pressed to stimulate hair growth and improve scalp health (3). The nerve endings under the fingernails are connected to the hair roots.
- Acupuncture may promote hair growth (4), (5), (6). It uses acupressure paired with needles to relieve blood flow and reduce hair loss (7). It is said to relieve stress that may otherwise cause different types of alopeciai XA medical condition characterized by loss of scalp or body hair that leads to partial or full baldness . Anecdotal evidence suggests that even the practice of acupressure without needles may stimulate hair growth.
- Acupressure done on two points on the middle finger of the left hand may slow down hair fall and hair graying. Acupressure on the top of the palm (between the middle and ring finger) may reduce excess sebum production and inflammation.
Acupressure is specific to a few points on the body that control energy flow. Listed below are the best pressure points for stimulating hair growth.
Best Acupressure Points For Hair Growth
There are said to be six acupressure points that may stimulate hair growth. You need to apply pressure to these locations.
- LI 1: Located at the right-hand index finger, just below the left side of the nail.
- GV 12, GV 14: Located at the top and bottom of the shoulder blades, right on the spine.
- LU 6: Located on the inside of the forearm. It is a point in the middle of the forearm, closer to the top.
- B 13: Located between the shoulder blades, on either side of the spine.
- LU 9: Located at the joint between the thumb and wrist.
Are you wondering how you can try an acupressure reflexology massage at home? Scroll down to find out.
How To Perform An Acupressure Massage A Step-By-Step Tutorial
1. At The Fingernails
- Place your hands together in the front with the fingernails of each hand touching each other.
- Your elbows should be approximately 90 degrees.
- Your thumbs should be straight out, resting on your index fingers.
- Rub your fingernails up and down in quick and short movements.
- Repeat this exercise for 15 minutes regularly three times a day, for three months.
2. At The Scalp
- Twirl your hair strands with your fingers, pulling gently at the roots to stimulate the scalp nerves.
- Use both your hands to mark a distance of 6 to 8 fingers above your eyebrows.
- Massage the area in small circular motions and slowly move to the rest of the scalp.
- Make sure you apply some pressure on the scalp without being too hard.
- Massage the occipital ridgei XThe little region on the rear side of your head where the skull connects with the spine located at the hairline above the neck. This acupressure point is said to reduce stress instantly. Apply pressure to the area for a few minutes and release to achieve deep relaxation. It is also said to improve blood flow.
- Draw a finger from the occipital ridge to the middle of the scalp. Apply mild pressure as you move back and forth. Finish by massaging the scalp along the front and back hairlines, followed by a general scalp massage.
Acupressure has several benefits. However, one must keep certain things in mind before performing it.
Is Acupressure Safe?
Acupressure is generally considered safe though it has a few side effects. Some people may feel lightheaded or sore after an acupressure session. Individuals with arthritisi XJoint pain and stiffness that occurs because of swelling and tenderness of one or more joints. , those recovering from cancer, and pregnant women must consult a doctor before trying acupressure. As acupressure focuses on specific pressure points that connect the nerves, getting it done by a professional is recommended.
Infographic: Steps To Perform An Acupressure Massage
We all want to flaunt long, thick, and gorgeous hair, but external factors often impede our efforts. Even the best hair care products may not help in stopping hair damage. Hair loss is a widespread issue that requires the proper diagnosis to be treated. So, what is the solution? Acupressure may be the solution to your problem and a remedy for your hair problems. To learn how to give an acupressure massage, see the infographic below.
Acupressure has been used for many centuries to overcome health issues. Research shows that the pressure points in the fingernail beds can stimulate hair growth. Massaging and pressing these points can improve hair health and promote growth. As mentioned above, acupuncture (using acupressure) can alleviate stress, which is known to cause various types of alopecia. There are certain pressure points on the fingers that may prevent hair graying and hair fall as well. Overall, there are some studies that support using acupressure points for hair growth, but more research needs to be conducted in this area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can acupressure cure baldness?
While acupressure may not cure baldness, regular practice can help stimulate the hair follicles resulting in hair growth, preventing and delaying baldness.
Can you get nerve damage from acupuncture?
Since acupressure deals with pressure points and nerve endings, it is essential to do it under the supervision of a trained professional to avoid any possible damage.
- Massaging the acupressure points at the fingernail beds can stimulate hair growth and scalp health.
- The acupressure points on your scalp can be stimulated to improve hair thickness.
- Some people feel lightheaded or sore after an acupressure session if this is the case, less is more. There should be pressure when receiving acupressure, but not pain. The body responds just as much if not more to a little pressure as heavy pressure.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Standardized Scalp Massage Results in Increased Hair Thickness by Inducing Stretching Forces to Dermal Papilla Cells in the Subcutaneous Tissue
- The magic Touch the Simple Guide to Acupressure from Your Own Home
- Effects of Reflexology Massage on Hair Regrowth After Chemotherapy-Induced Alopecia Among Women With Cancer: a Randomised Clinical Trial
- Acupuncture for Treating Alopecia Areata: a Protocol of Systematic Review of Randomised Clinical Trials
- A Randomized Controlled Clinical Study of Acupuncture Therapy for Seborrheic Alopecia in Young and Middle Ages
- Complementary and Alternative Treatments for Alopecia: a Comprehensive Review
- Alternative Medicine for Hair Loss