Does Aloe Vera Work For Dandruff?
Learn which attributes of this versatile herb can manage dandruff and ways to use it.
Dandruff is a common scalp condition that impacts many people. Alternative therapies like natural ingredients have become a popular remedy to treat this condition. Research indicates that aloe vera works for dandruff management (1).
Most branded anti-dandruff products tend to leave the hair and scalp dry. Instead, you can use a natural remedy like aloe vera. Aloe vera contains proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids that nourish and fortify hair. These nutrients may help in managing and treating dandruff. Keep reading to know what science says about using aloe vera to reduce dandruff.
In This Article
Does Aloe Vera Work For Dandruff?
Aloe vera has anti-microbial properties (2). In a study, individuals with seborrheic dermatitis experienced relief from dandruff with aloe vera. The plant could effectively fight the Malassezia fungus that causes dandruff.
Aloe vera has also been used as an alternative natural treatment option to chemical-based shampoos.
But how do you use aloe vera to reduce your dandruff symptoms?
How Can Aloe Vera Be Used For Treating Dandruff?
Apply the aloe vera gel to the affected area. You can apply it in the form of a gel that you purchase from the market or extract the gel directly from the plant. Here is the step-by-step process of applying aloe vera gel to your hair:
- Take the leaf of an aloe vera plant.
- Scoop the gel out with a spoon. You may blend it with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Rub the gel or the mixture directly into your scalp.
- Leave it on for an hour.
- Wash the mixture from your hair using a mild shampoo and then use a moisturizing conditioner.
- You can repeat the process 2 to 3 times a week or as required.
Using aloe vera for treating dandruff is simple. However, be informed that aloe vera may cause certain adverse effects. Remember to take due precautions before using it.
What Precautions Should Be Followed While Applying Aloe Vera For Dandruff?
Topical use of aloe vera gel may cause hives, skin irritation, and other allergies. You may experience these effects if you are already allergic to plants like onions and tulips that are part of the lily family (3). Do a patch test before using aloe vera on your scalp.
If you have purchased aloe vera gel from the market, ensure you follow the directions given on the product. Go for a brand recommended by your doctor. Choose a well-known brand to avoid any contamination in the form of other drugs or toxic metals.
While you can leave the aloe vera gel on your hair for an hour, can you do so overnight? Or would it cause any adverse effects?
Can I Leave Aloe Vera On My Hair Overnight For Treating Dandruff?
Yes, you can leave aloe vera gel on your hair overnight for treating dandruff. These are the steps to follow:
- Apply the aloe vera gel to your dry hair at night.
- Wear a hair cap to keep your pillow from getting stained.
- Rinse your hair with water. Shampoo and condition as usual, the next morning.
Summing It Up
Dandruff is a common condition that makes your scalp dry and itchy. Aloe vera has been used as a natural remedy for dandruff due to its medicinal properties. Aloe vera is the best alternative for chemical-based anti-dandruff formulas. It exhibits antimicrobial properties that can act against the dandruff-causing Malassezia fungus. However, limited research is available to prove these claims. It may be considered safe for many people, but it can also cause allergic reactions in some people. Hence, conduct a patch test before using it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can aloe vera be used for styling your hair?
Yes, aloe vera gel can be used for styling your hair. Here is how:
• Add aloe vera pulp, a tablespoon of lemon juice, contents of a vitamin C capsule, and a few drops of moisturizing oil into a blender.
• Pour the mixture into a jar and store it in the refrigerator.
• Use the gel on your hair within three days.
Is it safe to consume aloe vera?
No, it is not safe to consume aloe vera for dandruff. It could cause diarrhea or kidney damage (3). Stick to topical use only.
How can fresh aloe vera gel be preserved?
You can preserve aloe vera gel by storing it in a refrigerator. But remember to use it within three days.
Is aloe vera good for dry hair?
Yes. Aloe vera gel is lightweight and has moisturizing properties. Therefore, it may help manage dry and frizzy hair.
Does aloe vera reduce hair fall?
Although research is insufficient regarding aloe vera’s hair fall reducing properties, it may soothe flakiness and dryness caused by dandruff. This may minimize itchiness and scratching, which often damages the hair follicles, thus, reducing the risk of hair fall.
- Aloe vera contains proteins, vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids to nourish hair and scalp.
- Its antimicrobial properties can help fight against the Malassezia fungus that causes dandruff.
- You can apply store-bought aloe vera gel on the scalp or extract it directly from the plant.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Medicinal and Cosmetological Importance of Aloe vera
- Anti-Microbial Effect of Aloe vera Extract on Clotrimazole-Resistant Malassezia Furfur Strains Isolated From Patients with Seborrheic Dermatitis in the City of Sari
- Aloe vera: A review of toxicity and adverse clinical effects