While you may be familiar with the benefits of eating bananas, are you aware that banana peels can also benefit your health? Yes, you got that right. This article introduces you to the many benefits of banana peels and how to make the most of them.
While most of us know the banana as a delectable and nutritious fruit that is rich in potassium, vitamins, fiber and mineral content, we mostly tend to discard the banana peels (or use them for home composting). You would be surprised to know that banana peels are also replete with polyphenolsi XNaturally occurring micronutrients in plants that protect from oxidative stress and offer important health benefits. , carotenoidsi X Yellow, orange, and red organic pigments in plants known for their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and other health benefits. , and other antioxidants that can help remove the toxic free radicals from your skin and body (1).
Want to know more about the benefits of banana peels? Read on!
What Is It?
The outer covering of a banana.
What Are Its Benefits?
Banana peel can help with reducing pimples, wrinkles and even aid in skin issues like psoriasis.
Who Can Use It?
Anyone looking for skin benefits can use it, unless they are allergic to it
You can apply for it twice weekly.
There are no such side effects unless you are allergic to banana
In This Article
Banana Peel Uses
1. Sparkling Teeth
Rub the banana peel every day for a week on your teeth for about a minute. This may result in teeth whitening, which can cost a lot of money otherwise.
Rethabile-Marah, a blogger, found banana peels to be the perfect remedy for brownish teeth. She writes, “So after polishing and brushing my teeth for about 10-20 minutes with the outer part of a banana peel…I eventually checked my teeth, and they were white as snow (i).”
2. May Remove Warts
Anecdotal evidence suggests that banana peel helps in removing wartsi XA skin infection caused by human papillomavirus that leads to small, grainy bumps on the skin and spreads through skin-to-skin contact. and preventing the occurrence of new ones. For this, simply rub the peel on the affected area or tie the peel overnight on it. This is one of the simplest ways to use a banana peel for the skin.
3. Eat Them
Banana peels can also be eaten. You can find amazing Indian recipes that use banana peels in stir fries, chutneys, and curry preparations. Raw banana peels are also used to tenderize and preserve meat and chicken (2).
4. May Treat Pimples
Just massage banana peels on your face and body for 5 minutes every day to treat pimples. The results should be visible within a week. Keep applying the peels till the acne disappears.
5. May Reduce Wrinkles
Although there is no scientific evidence to support this claim, it is said that a banana peel helps to keep your skin hydrated. Add an egg yolk to a mashed banana peel. Apply this mixture on your face, leave it on for 5 minutes and then wash it off. The antioxidants in banana peel help prevent oxidative stress and reduce signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines (3).
6. Pain Reliever
Apply the banana peel directly on the painful area. Leave it for 30 minutes till the pain is gone. Banana peels have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can help reduce the pain (3). A mixture of vegetable oil and banana peel might also help in pain relief (4).
7. May Treat Psoriasis
8. May Treat Bites By Bugs
Massage the peel on the mosquito bites to get instant relief from the itching and pain. The antioxidants and vitamins help increase the blood circulation healing the pain and inflammation (3).
9. Shoes, Leather, Silver Polish
Rub a banana peel on shoes, leather, and silver articles to make them shine instantly.
10. UV Protection
Banana peel may help in protecting the eyes from the harmful UV rays. Make sure you leave the peel under the sun before rubbing the banana peel on your eyes. It is also said to reduce the risk of cataractsi X An eye condition that causes the natural lens of the eye to become cloudy, making things look blurry and less colorful. .
As mentioned before, banana peel can be incorporated into your diet. Here is a quick and delicious recipe you can follow to get started.
Banana Peel Recipe
Banana Peel Crisps
- 2-3 ripe banana peels
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
How To Prepare
- Clean the banana peels thoroughly and cut them into small pieces or strips.
- Mix the olive oil with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl to create a marinade.
- Toss the banana peel pieces in the marinade and coat them evenly.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the marinated banana peels one by one.
- Sauté until they become tender and slightly crispy.
- Serve as a side dish or snack.
Some Important Tips
- Use a fresh, yellow banana peel for best results.
- Never keep an unpeeled banana for long. The polyphenols turn it brown on exposure to air. Consume immediately after peeling. Also, the peel should be used immediately.
- Store bananas in a cool, dry place and always keep them away from heat or sunlight.
- Never store banana peels in a refrigerator.
- Avoid throwing banana peels on the roads or public places as they are slippery in texture. Use bins or save them for better purposes.
Infographic: Top 5 Incredible Benefits Of Banana Peels
You enjoy adding bananas to everything, from baked items to your daily porridge. But the peel? Not really – because you feel banana peels should be thrown out. However, the peels have dozens of possible uses that can be beneficial in numerous ways. Check out the infographic below to learn more.
The benefits of banana peels are many. They contain polyphenols, carotenoids, and antioxidants that help remove toxins from the body. They help whiten teeth, remove warts, and also help manage pimples, wrinkles, pain, and psoriasis. You can use them for composting or as fertilizers for your plants. Fresh banana peels always give the best results. Also, do note that banana peels change their color and lose their effectiveness if refrigerated.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does drinking boiled banana peel water help tighten the skin?
Mary Sabat, RDN, says, “Drinking boiled banana peels is not recommended. There is no scientific evidence that boiling banana peels can provide any health benefits or tighten skin.”
What do banana peels in water do?
Putting banana peels in water would leach their nutrients into the water. The resulting mixture is similar to compost tea.
Can I leave banana peels on my face overnight?
Yes. Banana peels may help rejuvenate your skin and deal with pimples.
Does banana peel lighten skin?
Possibly. Banana peels contain antioxidants and small amounts of vitamin C that may help brighten your complexion.
How do you make banana peel powder?
Cut the peels into small pieces and sun-dry them. Alternatively, you can dry the banana peels in the oven and grind them to obtain banana peel powder.
What does banana peel do to your hair?
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the antioxidants in the banana peels may help boost hair growth and leave silky soft and shiny hair behind.
- Banana peels can aid in digestion, inflammation, and skin health.
- Additionally, they might be advantageous for heart health, controlling weight, and preventing some malignancies.
- You can consume peels raw, cooked, or added to smoothies.
- Wash banana peels to remove any pesticide residue before utilizing or consuming them.
This video explains how banana peels can whiten your teeth, manage acne, even soothe a headache, and much more. Discover the amazing health benefits of this ingredient that would otherwise end up in the trash can. Play the video now!
Personal Experience: Source
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Antioxidant Activity and Protective effect of Banana Peel against Oxidative Hemolysis of Human Erythrocyte at Different Stages of Ripening
- Effect of Banana Peel Extract on Sensory and Bacteriological Quality of Marinated Beef
- Anti-Psoriatic Activity of Musa Mysore Aab (Poovan Banana) Peel Extract Using Human Keratinocyte Cell Line
- Benefits Of Red Bananas For Skin And Hair