Crab walking sounds offbeat and it actually is! It pushes your body beyond its comfort level and forces it into a position, which is unique. It is a full body workout that tones and works a number of muscles in your body.
The basic of this form of exercise is to balance your weight on your hands and legs while the front faces the ceiling. At no point are the hips to be used for maintaining balance. But crab walking is not just linear!
Types Of Crab Walking Exercises:
There are four kinds of crab walking exercises—all of them work to give you great health and a fit body. The basic crab walking move does not require any kind of equipment and is rather fun to do. Here are the different kinds of crab walking you can try:
1. Supine Crab Walk:
This is the basic crab walking move. Practice it for a few days and you’ll become faster pretty soon.
Muscles Worked On: Triceps, upper arm, shoulders, back, abdominal, hamstrings and upper legs.
How To Do:
- Sit on the ground with your feet in a comfortable position.
- Keep your palms behind your hips on the ground.
- Keep your abdominal muscles engaged and pull your body off the ground, with your weight balanced on your feet and hands.
- Now, use your left foot and right hand to walk one step forward.
- Repeat this action on the other side.
2. Prone Crab Walk:
This is the opposite of Supine Crab walking, but is equally beneficial.
Muscles Worked On: Inner and outer thighs, arms, abdominals.
How To Do:
- Begin from the push up position. Unlike the supine crab walk, you are facing the ground in this exercise.
- Bring out your left hand and left foot at the same time.
- Next, walk your right arm and right foot to the left of your body at the same time.
- Repeat this sequence with the right hand and right foot to the right side of your body.
3. Sumo Crab Walk:
Another interesting way to crab walk is the sumo crab walk—not to be confused with sumo wrestling! You need to be in standing position for this exercise.
Muscles Worked On: Inner thighs, quadriceps.
How To Do:
- Stand with your feet apart, toes facing out and your knees bent.
- Now, keep your arms at the back of your head.
- Next, holding your wide stand, you need to walk forward one step as far as you can.
- Now, take a turn around and just return to your starting position.
- Turn your toes out and keep your inner thighs busy during the walk.
- You have to keep working your quadriceps and hold them in a knee bent position. This position is known as an isometric hold.
[ Read: Plyometric Exercises And Their Benefits ]
4. Traditional Crab Walk:
As the name suggests, this is the traditional way of crab walking, a favorite among kids!
Muscles Worked On: Gluteus Maximus and buttocks.
How To Do:
- Start in a stading position with your toes forward
- Now, just come out to the left with your left foot and then, take your right foot inward.
- Now, do this step in the reverse.
- You can continue with this style with bent knees in a squat position.
- You can also simplify this step by straightening your legs. One can also use a resistance band to hold your ankles to make this style more challenging.
Benefits Of Crab Walking Exercise:
Crab walking exercise has lots of benefits. Though, we have discussed different forms of crab walking exercises, but the overall benefits you get from all the styles are similar. Here are some of them:
- This exercise makes your hamstrings strong, strengthens your triceps, as well as your shoulder and abdominal muscles.
- It is suitable even for the very young. Young children usually do this exercise in their fitness exercise coaching classes.
- It is also a very good cardiovascular exercise.
- It makes your workout regimen fun by warding off boredom.
[ Read: Plank Exercises To Strengthen Your Body ]
Variety is the spice of life—so, why not add some variety in your workout regimen too? Not only is crab walking good for your health, but it is a lot of fun too! Give it a try!
Have you ever tried crab walking? Was it fun to do? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Trampoline Exercises On Your Body
- 5 Amazing Effects Of Jumping Jacks Exercises On Your Body
- 14 Amazing Benefits Of Skipping Exercises For Your Body
Latest posts by Pubali Mukherjee (see all)
- What Is Cellophane Hair Treatment And What Are Its Benefits? - September 16, 2014
- Top 10 Benefits Of Oatmeal Soap - September 11, 2014
- Top 13 Simple And Effective Relaxation Techniques - September 5, 2014
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Buteyko Breathing For Leading A Healthy Life - September 2, 2014
- 10 Wonderful Benefits Of Burpee Workout To Strengthen Your Body - August 27, 2014