Nothing can match the feeling you get when you glide your fingers over your face and feel that soft and milky skin. Most of you follow a daily skin care routine at home. It might not be elaborate, but it at least helps you maintain your skin. But once in a while, it’s good to let the professionals take care of your skin. Yes, I am talking about the benefits of facials.
If you think that facials are nothing but a frivolous way to pamper your skin, you are wrong.
A facial is a multi-step way to take 360-degree care of your skin. How? That’s what I am going to address in this article. Read on.
If you think that facials are nothing but an hour (and money) wasted in the salon, think again! Because your skin is missing out on something that’s good for it.
Even if you do not have blemishes, hyperpigmentation, severe acne, or any other problems, your face needs to be pampered by a trained professional to keep it healthy and free of skin issues.
Moreover, it is the best way to find out if your skin needs anything or how it is reacting to hormones, pollution, stress, and other elements. I know that you have your DIY tips to take care of your skin at home, but a professional can help you truly understand your skin. And, not to mention, that amazing facial massage not only makes your skin glow but also destresses you and helps you relax.
Not convinced yet? Here are 16 reasons you should get a facial done today.
Benefits Of Facials
1. Reduce Stress And Relieve Psychological Distress
I am not claiming this. According to a study published in the journal Biomedical Research, facial massage activates your sympathetic nervous system. This reduces your anxiety levels and uplifts your mood (1).
There are hundreds of pressure points on your face that are connected to various systems in your body. When these pressure points are massaged, your body responds to it. A good facial massage not just keeps your skin glowing, but it also affects the functioning of the other organs. This is kind of an exercise for your face. And since it is not possible for you to know all the pressure points, you need to visit a professional to get that facial massage.
2. Cleanse Your Skin
An excellent facial will cleanse your face thoroughly, which is not possible at home. Think of it this way – you have all the medicines at home, but you still need to go for annual visits to your doctor. The facialist understands your skin type and knows what needs to be done to keep it in good shape. He/she uses steam to open up the pores and cleanse your skin thoroughly.
3. Prevent Aging
Admit it – you are not getting younger with each passing day. And because you have only one face, you need to take care of it properly. Regular facials and face massages boost cell regeneration and promote collagen development. This gives you younger looking skin.
4. Facial Massage Promotes Blood Circulation
A study says that massage improves the blood circulation in your body. The same applies to your face. Improved blood circulation in your face means that your cells get lots of oxygen and nutrients that are carried along with the blood. This translates to healthier and efficient cells and a glowing face.
5. Rejuvenate Your Skin
With age, your skin loses its luster. That’s natural. Your lifestyle and pollution make it difficult for your skin to recuperate. Facials can help rejuvenate the skin. The therapist or the facial expert uses various methods, products, and technology that help improve your skin texture.
6. Facials Help Detoxify The Skin
Your skin needs to get rid of the waste that accumulates on it on a regular basis. And if this is not done correctly, it results in breakouts. That’s why a skin detox is necessary. Apart from cleansing and washing your face every day, you need facials to detoxify it. Therapists use ingredients, such as antioxidant-rich creams, sea salt, herbal extracts, and oils, to make your face fresh and radiant.
7. Treat Acne And Acne Marks
When you squeeze a pimple (or acne), you run the risk of scarring. Acne marks can be stubborn, but facials can help you in treating them. Estheticians often use products containing salicylic acid to treat acne. A study shows that salicylic acid peels help reduce acne and the resulting scars (2).
8. Eliminate Whiteheads And Blackheads
Extraction is a crucial part of the facial. A skilled person uses the extraction tool to extract all the whiteheads and blackheads without hurting your skin. This is not possible at home. Blackheads and whiteheads clog the pores and make your skin dull. So, if your skin looks a bit bumpy, it’s time to go for a facial.
9. Open Up All The Pores
It’s impossible to avoid all the pollution and damage caused by the environmental free radicals. Your skin is bombarded with UV rays and other toxic substances on a daily basis. These accumulate on its surface and clog the pores. During a facial, the professional uses steam to open up the pores and remove all dead cells, thus preventing acne and other skin issues.
10. Exfoliate Your Skin
Exfoliation is the process where the dead skin cells are gently sloughed off your skin’s surface. The cells die and tend to pile up on the surface (if not removed), making your skin rough and dry. While you can exfoliate your skin using a scrub at home, if you want to remove the dead skin cells properly, going for a facial is the best option. It involves using chemical peels that thoroughly clean the skin surface, revealing a healthy layer of skin beneath.
11. Tighten Your Skin
With age, your skin loses its elasticity as the production of collagen diminishes. During facial treatments, the professionals use chemical peels, face packs, masks, lotions, and creams that are enriched with botanical extracts that stimulate the production of collagen and reduce the signs of aging.
12. Eliminate Under Eye Bags And Dark Circles
The skin under your eyes needs special attention because it is way thinner than the skin on the rest of the face. And when you don’t treat it in the right manner, you get under eye bags, dark circles, and crow’s feet. The estheticians know how to treat the delicate under eye area. The eye creams used by them are specially prepared to treat the sensitive skin around your eyes and have anti-aging benefits. Many use cucumber slices during treatment for soothing your eyes. Cucumber contains vitamin K that rehydrates tired skin and eliminates dark circles and wrinkles.
13. Facial Masks Make Your Skin Soft And Glowing
The esthetician prepares a mask that’s specially designed for your skin type. It hydrates the skin and refines the skin pores. It also contains ingredients that diminish hyperpigmentation and make your skin firm.
14. Boost The Absorption Abilities Of Your Skin
This is another advantage of going for a facial regularly. It increases your skin’s ability to absorb other products effectively. You might be spending a lot of money on cosmetic products but find that they aren’t being absorbed by your skin. Why? Because your skin’s surface is so rough that they cannot permeate it properly. With regular facials, your skin becomes smooth and ready to absorb the products.
15. You Get Expert Care
Facials come along with expert opinions and advice. Before any facial treatment, the expert esthetician asks you about your skin type, issues you are facing, and what problems you want to address. They examine your skin and analyze the problem before offering a solution. They pick products and treatments that are beneficial for your skin.
16. Give You An Even Skin Tone
Worried about those dark patches on your skin? Those are nothing but melanin that gives your skin and hair their color. Aging, too much sun exposure, and hormonal changes may cause too much melanin production, resulting in dark spots. A facial evens out those dark spots, giving you a bright skin tone.
So, as we have seen, facials have loads of benefits. Wondering how often you should get one done? It depends on a lot of factors. Let’s check them out.
How Often Do You Need Facials?
It depends on several factors such as:
- Your Skin Type: If you have oily skin that’s prone to acne and breakouts, you need a facial treatment once in every two weeks (until the issues have calmed down). And in case you have combination, dry, or normal skin, once every month is fine.
- The Condition Of Your Skin: Do you have blackheads or dull skin? Or acne and hyperpigmentation? The frequency of your facial treatments depends on the problem you have.
- Skin Care Goals: If you want beautiful and younger looking skin for a lifetime, you should start early. Follow the facial routine religiously as suggested by the esthetician. If you are someone who is concerned about the appearance of your skin, you should take facial routines seriously.
- Your Budget: Your budget affects your skin care routine. Many facial treatments will cost you a bomb. If you have a tight budget, try getting a facial done once every two months.
It is always better to consult an esthetician regarding the frequency of your facial routines.
But before you start, you need to consider a few things.
Precautions To Take During Facials
- Before starting any treatment, always do a patch test. This will help you understand whether the products that will be used suit your skin or not. If you have sensitive skin, you should be particularly careful about it.
- Go to a trusted esthetician or salon for a facial. They know your skin type and can suggest what exactly it needs. Even if you need a simple facial treatment to freshen up your face, avoid visiting just any random salon.
- Always talk to your esthetician and inform him/her if you have any product allergy. In case you are under medication or using any skin ointment, make sure you consult a doctor and the esthetician before applying any other product on your face.
- If you are pregnant and if any particular ingredient is not suitable for you, inform the esthetician immediately.
- Avoid going out in the sun just after getting a facial done. Use a sunblock cream, a hat, and an umbrella for at least a week after the facial.
- Do not undergo a facial procedure if you have bruises or burns on your face. Wait for them to heal first.
- Avoid using soap on your face for at least a day or two after the facial.
Facials are much more than just an hour of sheer bliss. They are a way of saying “I love you” to your skin. So, get a facial done and let us know about your experience in the box below.
- 17 Amazing Benefits Of Galvanic Facial
- 10 Simple Homemade Body Scrubs For Gorgeous, Glowing Skin
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Yogurt Face Mask
- 7 Simple Steps To Do A Facial Massage At Home
- VLCC Party Glow Facial Kit
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- How To Use Hair Butter To Protect Your Hair - March 4, 2021
- 13 Best Eyeshadow Singles For Gorgeous Eyes - March 4, 2021
- Avocado Oil For The Skin: Benefits And Ways To Use It - March 2, 2021
- Are Sulfates Really Bad For Your Hair? - March 2, 2021
- The 11 Best Antibacterial Soaps Of 2020 To Buy Right Now - March 1, 2021