What do you think a jolt of electricity can do to your sagging skin or those wrinkles and fine lines crisscrossing your face? Oh, I didn’t mean to scare you! Actually, electrical facial treatments have taken the beauty world by storm. And the one that I am talking about is the galvanic facial. Haven’t heard of it? Then, this article is just for you. Read on.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Galvanic Facial?
- What Are The Benefits Of A Galvanic Facial?
- Galvanic Facial: Who Is Not Suitable For This Treatment?
- Side Effects Of Galvanic Facial
- How To Do Galvanic Facial At Home
What Is Galvanic Facial?
Skin therapists call this procedure a ‘non-surgical facelift’ that gives you youthful skin without having to undergo any surgical procedure or poke needles into it. It involves using a low-level current to infuse medication into your skin. In other words, a galvanic facial uses medium-amperage direct current to stimulate your skin cells, soften your skin, and drive medicines or creams deep into the layers of your skin. This is done to improve the hydration levels of and blood circulation to your face, thereby making it more radiant. And don’t worry! It’s quite painless – you won’t even feel a thing.
Usually, skin therapists offer two types of galvanic facial:
- Iontophoresis: During this procedure, a positively charged gel is applied to your skin. Then, a negative electrode is placed near your shoulder, or you are asked to hold it. Now, a positively charged current is passed through your skin, which helps push the active ingredients applied to your skin deep into the epidermal layers. This dramatically increases the efficacy of all skin products that you use after undergoing this procedure.
- Desincrustation: In this process, galvanic current is used to soften and emulsify the keratin and sebum contained in your hair follicles. It is a way to prepare your skin for safe and painless removal of comedones. A manual extraction follows this procedure. This is meant for deep cleansing your skin and softening it at the same time.
Galvanic facial is suitable for all skin types (including sensitive skin). This specialized skin treatment has many benefits.
What Are The Benefits Of Galvanic Facial?
1. Reduces Dullness And Makes Skin Glow
Dullness is one of the main signs of aging. A galvanic facial removes all the impurities from your skin and improves the concentration of oxygen in it. This deep cleansing technique makes your skin glow.
2. Minimizes Fine Lines And Wrinkles
Age and constant exposure to the sun and dust can take a toll on your skin. You won’t even notice the fine lines and wrinkles beginning to creep up on your face. Treating yourself to a galvanic facial once in a while rejuvenates your skin, restores the balance, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, and tightens your skin. It is also beneficial in preventing premature signs of aging.
3. Improves The Elasticity Of Your Skin
When you are stressed, it is evident on your face. No, I am not talking about frowning and squinting. I’m talking about the effect of stress on your skin. Coupled with lack of proper care and other external factors, your skin tends to lose elasticity and sag. The galvanic current that is passed through your skin during the treatment helps in tightening it. This revives your aging skin and makes it firm again.
4. Detoxifies Your Skin
You can’t deny the fact that your skin feels great and relaxed after every facial session. But, apart from the relaxation, a galvanic facial has something more to offer than conventional facials. The electric currents enable lymph drainage and stimulate your skin. This improves your skin’s natural ability to cleanse itself of harmful toxins. Moreover, the facial draws out toxins from deep within your skin, making your face look brighter and healthier.
5. Boosts Blood Circulation And Oxygen Levels In The Skin
A galvanic facial boosts the production of fresh skin cells and collagen. As a result, the new cells replace the older ones much faster. It also stimulates the flow of blood to the surface of your skin, which, in turn, increases oxygen supply to your face. Oxygen makes your skin feel fresher and tighter and supports moisture retention.
6. Helps In Preventing Acne
The galvanic facial, especially the desincrustation process, targets the hair follicles and clogged pores. It extracts all the impurities stuck in your skin pores, leaving them clean. This helps in reducing and preventing acne.
7. Improves Complexion
I am not saying that this treatment will make you fair. Don’t carry that notion. When your skin is thoroughly cleansed, it looks clear and bright. That’s because harmful toxins are eliminated from your skin. The negative ions in the current trap all the impurities, toxins, and dirt. This, in turn, gives you a clearer and brighter complexion.
8. Thoroughly Moisturizes Your Skin
Worried that your moisturizing face cream is not working properly? The fact is that the product does not penetrate the layers of your skin. Moreover, your skin may not be able to retain moisture. A galvanic facial helps resolve this issue by removing dead skin cells and promoting cell regeneration. This revitalizes your skin, making it more elastic and increasing its moisture retention.
9. Better Product Penetration
Galvanic current contains negative ions, and the treatment gel (containing anti-aging and other ingredients) that is applied to your skin contains positive ions. The current pushes the products deeper into your skin. The products work hard in neutralizing the toxins and harmful free radicals in your skin. The deep tissues and cells within your skin layer are where the products work best.
10. Calms And Soothes Your Skin
Not only does aging turn your skin into a canvas of fine lines, age spots, and wrinkles, it also makes it rough to touch. A galvanic facial eases the facial tissues and muscles that get stiff with aging. When the muscles and tissues are relaxed, more blood and oxygen are carried to the skin cells. The pH balance of the skin is also restored, making it soft and smooth.
Sounds promising, isn’t it? But before you rush to book your appointment, there are some more things you need to know. Not everyone can opt for a galvanic facial. Why? It’s because certain factors make you a weak candidate for this facial.
Galvanic Facial: Who Is Not Suitable For This Treatment?
Do not go for this treatment if you:
- Have a pacemaker
- Are diagnosed with a heart condition
- Suffer from epilepsy or high blood pressure
- Have cuts, wounds, and abrasions on your skin
- Are pregnant
- Are diabetic
- Have metal implants in your body
- Have spider veins
- Are on skin thinning medication
- Recently underwent chemical peeling
I understand that the very thought of passing electricity through your skin sounds scary. But are there any side effects of this treatment? Is it safe?
Side Effects Of Galvanic Facial
So far, no study has been conducted to evaluate the side effects of a galvanic facial. However, galvanic current has been widely used for treating face paralysis and Bell’s Palsy, so it is considered to be a safe treatment. Nevertheless, one study evaluating the effect of electrical stimulation on human skin mentions that a few of the participants experienced an “unpleasant feeling.” Some of them also felt mild pain (1).
Again, the level of sensitivity to stimuli differs from person to person. Some may have a high pain tolerance, while others may be extremely sensitive to even mild stimuli. So, it depends on you and the condition of your body.
If you have metallic dental fillings, crowns, and metal braces, be careful. People with these dental fixtures may experience a metallic taste in their mouth during the procedure. Having metal inside the mouth may even give you a galvanic shock, which may trigger a mild headache or give you a tingling feeling. But, with a few precautions, you can go for this procedure.
Getting a galvanic facial at a spa may cost a bomb, but you can experience this luxury right at home without having to break the bank.
How To Do A Galvanic Facial At Home
Handheld galvanic facial equipment is readily available in the market, along with the special facial gels. Get them and then follow these steps:
- Clean your face and neck thoroughly with the cleanser you have at home. Pat dry and spritz on your favorite toner.
- Apply the treatment gel (as directed on the kit) on one half of your face and neck. Set the timer (in case the facial machine doesn’t have a timer).
- Wet your hands and then hold the device. Once you press the start button, touch the end of the machine to your skin where you have applied the gel and move it around.
- Stop when the timer goes off. Repeat the same steps on the other side of your face and neck.
- Once done, remove the remaining gel from your face with a wet cloth or towel. Apply a face serum or moisturizer once you are done.
Note: If the gel dries up during the treatment, apply a little bit of water and continue. Also, make sure that the flow of current is consistent.
It is always better to visit a professional aesthetician for a proper galvanic facial. Some spas offer this service. The benefits of this service are innumerable if only you keep in mind the words of caution. So, say goodbye to dull and lifeless skin, and welcome a new you with the galvanic facial.
Have you ever tried this facial? How did it go? Why don’t you share your experience with me? Just drop a comment in the comments section below!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
How long does the galvanic facial treatment take?
A session lasts anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.
How many galvanic treatment sessions are needed?
You may go for a galvanic facial twice or thrice a week, depending on your age. If you are in your 20s, you may try it once or twice in two weeks.
What is the cost of the galvanic facial treatment?
It depends on the area you are in, the salon, and the expertise of the aesthetician.
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Facials On Your Skin
- 3 Types Of Electronic Facials And Their Benefits
- 10 Best Facial Packages To Get Glowing Skin
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Oxygen Facial To Get Glowing Skin
- 5 Wonderful Benefits Of Aromatherapy Facials
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Rhodiola rosea: Benefits, Side Effects, And Dosage - July 19, 2018
- 10 Best Coconut Oil Face Masks For Flawless Skin - April 19, 2018
- 10 Best Essential Oils For Acne - April 10, 2018
- 10 Effective Ways To Use Tea Tree Oil For Rosacea - June 23, 2015
- 11 Must-Try Easy Homemade Pomegranate Face Packs - June 3, 2015