Are you developing a paunch and want to get rid of it? Exercise is the best method for it. Exercise has become a necessity today. If you want to live a healthier, fitter, and longer life, then you have to spare some time to exercise. Even half an hour of moderate to intense workout works wonder for you. It helps to keep a whole lot of diseases at bay, which can otherwise create havoc in your life. The rising cost of medical treatment is enough to encourage people to exercise to keep the health problems away.
[ Read: Kettlebell Exercises And Their Benefits ]
Abdominal Exercises Are Important:
One can choose from various kinds of exercises and activities to lose weight to make your body healthier and fitter. Most people tend to accumulate weight on their abdomen and hip, especially women. This can be dangerous. The fat deposits in the abdominal area are directly connected to the development of cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes.
Seated Russian Twist Exercise:
Various abdominal exercises will help to dissolve the fat around the area. The seated Russian twist is one such exercise. It is a core exercise, which involves all the core muscles. A twisting motion helps to work the muscles. The exercise is rumored to have originated in Russia during the Cold War period, thus the name.
Direction To Do The Exercise:
1. Start seated on the floor with both your knees slightly bent and heels in contact with the floor. The heel should be around a foot or so from the butt. 2. Lean back until you feel the abdominal muscles engage to stabilize your body. Ensure that the back is straight and not curved. 3. Hold both your arms straight out in front of you so that you can see them. Make sure your hands are positioned one on top of the other. Remember that your hands need to be in level or in par with the bottom of your rib cage. 4. This may be a bit difficult, but can be mastered with time. Take a deep breath and try to pull your navel slowly and steadily towards your spine and then twist slowly to the left side. The movement is bound to come from the ribs rotating, and not from any of your arms swinging. Now inhale through the center of your body and gently rotate to the right. This exercise completes one rep. 5. It is important to start the exercise with the feet on the ground to stabilize. Once you are stabilized, you can do the difficult version with the feet off the ground and a medicinal ball, dumbbell or plate. 6. Rotate as far as possible and touch the ball on the ground. It is important to rotate the entire torso with your arm. Along with the weight, turn your shoulder and eyes too. 7. After touching the ground, change direction and take the weight the other side. 8. Do as many reps as required. The back angle determines how much you can work out for your abdomen. It is also important to keep breathing through the exercise.
Benefits Of Seated Russian Twist:
- There is more to doing the seated Russian twist than a flat stomach or a six-pack abdomen. The exercise works more than just your abdomen.
- This core exercise is a good workout for the whole abdomen. It engages all the abdomen muscles.
- It strengthens the rectus abdominis, internal obliques, and the external obliques.
- It reduces the risks of cardiovascular diseases like strokes and heart attacks.
- It is not just your abdomen that is worked here. Your lower back too is strengthened due to the position of your back during the exercise.
- The seated Russian twist strengthens the oblique muscles on the sides of the abdomen.
- A strengthened abdominal muscle helps to prevent slouching and get a good posture. This projects confidence and trims your silhouette.
- A trimmed abdomen also helps you in your everyday activities like bending to put your shoe, pick up something from the floor or sitting in a low chair etc.
- It also helps to improve the balance of the individual.
- The seated Russian twist, once mastered, is one of the simplest exercises that can help work out the whole of your abdomen and keep you in shape. Set aside a few minutes each day to practice this twist, and you will soon feel a lot more confident about your body.
[ Read: Exercises To Strengthen Your Upper Body ]
Do you workout every day? Which is your favorite twist workout routine? Share with us in the comment section.