Are you developing a paunch and want to get rid of it? Doing the Russian twist exercise is one of the best methods for it. Exercising has become a necessity today. If you want to live a healthier, fitter, and longer life, you have to spare some time to exercise. Even half an hour of moderate to intense workout can work wonders for you. It helps to keep a whole lot of diseases at bay, which can otherwise wreak havoc in your life.
Abdominal Exercises Are Important
You can choose from various kinds of exercises and activities to lose weight and make your body healthier and fitter. Most people tend to accumulate weight around their abdomen and hips, especially women. This can be dangerous. The fat deposits in the abdominal area are directly connected to the development of cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes.
Various abdominal exercises will help to dissolve the fat around the area. The seated Russian twist is one such exercise.
If you play sports frequently, this is a very good exercise to enhance the flexibility and strength of the oblique muscles.
Seated Russian Twist Exercise
This exercise involves all the core muscles. A twisting motion helps to work the muscles. The exercise is rumored to have originated in Russia during the Cold War, hence the name. Find out below how to do Russian twists.
Directions To Do The Exercise
- Sit on the floor with both your knees slightly bent and heels in contact with the floor. The heel should be around a foot or so from the butt.
- Lean back until you feel the abdominal muscles engage to stabilize your body. Ensure that the back is straight and not curved.
- Hold both your arms straight out in front of you so that you can see them. Make sure your hands are positioned on top of each other. Remember that your hands need to be in level or on par with the bottom of your rib cage.
- This may be a bit difficult, but can be mastered with time. Take a deep breath and try to pull your navel slowly and steadily towards your spine and then twist slowly to the left side. The movement is bound to come from the ribs rotating, and not from any of your arms swinging. Inhale through the center of your body and gently rotate to the right. This exercise completes one rep.
- It is important to start the exercise with the feet on the ground to stabilize your body. Once it is stabilized, you can do the difficult version with the feet off the ground and a medicinal ball, dumbbell, or plate.
- Rotate as far as possible and touch the ball on the ground. It is important to rotate the entire torso with your arm. Along with the weight, turn your shoulder and eyes too.
- After touching the ground, change direction and take the weight to the other side.
- Do as many reps as required. The back angle determines how much you can work out for your abdomen. It is also important to keep breathing through the exercise.
10 Best Benefits Of Seated Russian Twist
- Russian twists are great calorie burners. Increasing the intensity and/or adding weights to the exercise helps burn more calories. This, in turn, helps take care of love handles or muffin tops.
- This core exercise is a good workout for the abdomen. It engages all the abdomen muscles. There is more to doing the seated Russian twist than getting a flat stomach or six-pack abs. The exercise works on more than just your abdomen.
- It strengthens the rectus abdominis, internal obliques, and the external obliques.
- It reduces the risks of cardiovascular diseases like stroke and heart attack by burning calories and using up stored fat in your tummy area.
- It also strengthens the lower back.
- The seated Russian twist strengthens the oblique muscles on the sides of the abdomen.
- Strengthened abdominal muscles help prevent slouching and promote a good posture. This projects confidence and trims your silhouette.
- A trimmed abdomen and a strong core also help in your everyday activities, like bending to put your shoe on, picking up something from the floor, sitting in a low chair, etc.
- It also helps improve the balance of the individual.
- The seated Russian twist, once mastered, is one of the simplest exercises that can help work out the entire abdomen and keep you in shape. Set aside a few minutes each day to practice this twist, and you will soon feel a lot more confident about your body.
Doing the Russian twist every day will help you burn calories, be in better shape, lose belly fat, improve balance and posture, and reduce the risk of obesity-related diseases. Add at least 3 sets of 25 reps of Russian twists in your abs day, and you will start to have a slimmer belly and stronger core.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Russian twist effective?
Yes, Russian twists are very effective when it comes to targeting the oblique muscles present at the side of your belly.
Do Russian twists burn love handles?
Yes, Russian twists help burn love handles or the excess fat at the side of your belly.
What muscles does a Russian twist work?
Russian twist works on the obliques, abs, and lats.
How many Russian twists should I do?
Start with 3 sets of 10-12 Russian twists. Gradually increase it to 3 sets of 25 Russian twists.
Are Russian twists good for obliques?
Yes, the Russian twist exercise is good for slimming and shaping the obliques.
Do Russian twists make your waist bigger?
No, the Russian twist doesn’t make your waist bigger.
- 5 Effective Twist Exercises For Your Abs
- Top 10 Oblique Exercises And Their Benefits
- Russian Makeup, Beauty And Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Ab Doer Twist Exercises