To some people, a day isn’t complete without munching on a crunchy snack. Unfortunately, most snacks are high in calories and fat – almost devoid of ‘real’ nutrition. One snack that’s a favorite of crunchy snack lovers is corn. Are corn kernels healthy? What are the benefits of sweet corn?
What about sweet corn nutrition? Well, corn is packed with high nutrients which are useful for a human body in many ways. It ensures idyllic functioning of several internal systems such as cell generation and prevents constipation and various other digestive problems. It is a boon for diabetic people. This nutrient packed starchy snack is low in total fat and has no saturated fat, sodium or cholesterol. It is high in vitamin C and a good source of fiber.
In This Article
Benefits Of Sweet Corn For Skin
Below listed are the various sweet corn benefits for skin!
1. Delays Aging Process
If you want to remain young and maintain youthful looks, then you definitely have to consume sweet corn. It is a powerhouse of antioxidants useful in preventing the aging process.
2. Enhances Skin Texture
With the regular massage of corn oil, there is a considerable enhancement in your skin texture. A host of essential minerals and vitamins, regular consumption of sweet corn ensures you have a radiant skin and good vision.
3. Removes Facial Acne Scars
Owing to its high vitamin E content, a paste created with sweet corn can work wonders to remove facial acne scars.
[ Read: Ways To Get Rid of Acne Scars Naturally ]
Benefits Of Sweet Corn For Hair
Let’s look into some of the sweet corn benefits for your healthy hair.
4. Enhances Blood Circulation In The Scalp
The corn oil enhances blood circulation in the scalp, thereby promoting the follicles to produce healthy and strong tresses.
5. Strengthens Hair Strands
The vitamin C, lycopene content, and various other antioxidants present in sweet corn helps in strengthening the hair strands. It works effectively in dealing with hair loss.
Sweet Corn: Health Benefits
Check out here some of the best health benefits of sweet corn.
7. Lowers Cholesterol
Sweet corn contains soluble fiber as well, which turns into a gel-like substance in the blood stream. This gel, in turn, absorbs bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol). Sweet corn also contains carotenoids and bioflavonoids. These control cholesterol levels in the blood (2).
8. Improves Vision
Sweet corn kernels contain beta carotene, which produces vitamin A that promotes better vision. The carotenoids also reduce macular degeneration (3), which impairs vision at the center of the line of sight.
[ Read: Benefits Of Corn (Bhutta) ]
9. Boosts Energy
Sweet corn is a starchy grain, which works as a storehouse of energy (4). It is higher in energy than most other veggies! So, athletes who want to eat carbohydrates to boost their performance can eat a cup of corn.
10. Prevents Diabetes
The vitamin B present in sweet corn regulates protein, lipid, and carbohydrate metabolism, and the phytochemicals present regulate the release of insulin. Sweet corn has a glycemic index of 58, making it a super food for those who are diabetic (5). Together, these help in controlling diabetes. Similarly, phenolic phytochemicals present in sweet corn also control hypertension.
11. Cardiovascular Health
Consuming food rich in omega 3 fatty acids reduces the risk of contracting heart ailments. Sweet corn contains oil, which has a very good fatty acid combination. As a result, it enables omega-3 fatty acids to remove harmful fatty acids (like LDL) and reduces the risk of heart attack. It also prevents atherosclerosis (deposition of cholesterol on the walls of arteries).
Sweet corn contains a lot of dietary fiber. The insoluble fibers help in digestion and also prevent constipation. Those with irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea will also find relief after eating sweet corn.
[ Read: Healthy Foods That Help Digestion ]
13. During Pregnancy
Sweet corn contains a high concentration of folic acid, which is actually prescribed to women during pregnancy (6). So, sweet corn is a healthy food every pregnant woman should adopt. However, if you have swollen feet, consult your doctor before this diet change.
How To Select And Store Sweet Corns
A good selection in sorting the corn will help reap excellent sweet corn health benefits along with beauty benefits. Here are some helpful tips for its right selection and storage:
- When it comes to purchasing sweet corn, always look for straight, fuller ones having a slightly golden stick.
- Never choose the corn with removed husk or the ones that have been in the sun for the whole day.
- Also avoid choosing the corn with discolored husks; yellowish husk indicates age or damage. So, always make sure to select the corn with green husk.
- The best way to store sweet corn is to place it them a refrigerator without removing the husk.
- You may also wrap the corn loosely in a dry plastic bag so as to keep it fresh for more than two days.
Sweet Corn Usage (Cooking And Eating)
Corn is among the few cereals that can be cooked and eaten in a variety of ways. You can consume sweet corn right out of the “maize ears” or use the corn kernels in gravy. It is used for dressing fried rice along with onion and chillies to make an amazing snack. Here are some helpful tips on usage of sweet corn:
- Grill corn with the husk left on. This will help retain the flavor.
- Don’t put the corn in cold water right after boiling them. This will make your corns soggy.
- While boiling the corn, make sure to add enough water so that the corn is completely dipped in it.
- Don’t preserve the corn for long and also avoid over-baking it. Overcooking turns the corn ruby and firm. Three-five minutes are just enough for corn to cook.
- Lastly, it is also advisable not to add salt in the corn while boiling as it will toughen the corn.
- Boiled corn cob seasoned with pepper and salt is the most popular recipe. It is a healthy snack and is extremely delicious. Or, you may also consider grilling the corn instead of boiling it.
- Corn kernels make an amazing, mouth-watering dressing of different soups, curries, and dishes. Moreover, they can also be added to salads for making them an extra healthy snack.
Hope you liked our post on benefits of sweet corn in detail. So try these tips in your delicious corn snacks for an unforgettable taste. Also, do post your own corn recipes in the comment box below.
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Corn Silk
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Corn Silk Tea
- 10 Surprising Side Effects Of Corn