We all know that using hair oils significantly improves hair texture, feel, appearance, and health. While much is known about the benefits of coconut, olive, and almond oils, not many are aware of the goodness of apricot oil. How effective is apricot oil for hair health? In this post, we have discussed the potential benefits of apricot oil for hair growth backed by research. You will also know how to include the oil into your regular hair regimen. Take a look!
Table Of Contents
Benefits Of Apricot Oil For Hair
Apricot oil is extracted from the apricot kernel or pit and has medicinal and pharmaceutical uses (1). It is a clear oil that is yellowish-orange. It can benefit hair in various ways.
- Apricot oil is rich in linoleum, linolenic, palmitic, stearic, and oleic acids (essential fatty acids). Its high fatty acid content makes it similar to sweet almond oil (2). It also contains vitamins A, C, and E, and minerals like iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. These nutrients play a role in hair health.
- Apricot oil contains vitamin E that may help in the treatment of hair loss. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that is known to reduce oxidative stress in the scalp. Research shows that oxidative stress may cause alopecia (3).
- It contains vitamin C as well, which promotes hair growth (4). A deficiency in vitamin C causes scurvy, which may also result in hair loss (5).
- The iron in apricot oil also helps. Iron deficiency is linked to hair loss as well (5).
- Apricot oil contains linoleic and linolenic acid. These fatty acids may stimulate hair growth (6). The fats may also moisturize the dry scalp.
- Research shows that the oil can be used to treat dandruff (7).
- The oil is believed to control hair fall (8).
- It could be used to condition the scalp and as a hair wax (9). It may also be used to detangle hair.
Read on to know the different ways you can use apricot oil to stimulate hair growth and deal with other hair issues
How To Use Apricot Oil
- Scalp Massage: Massaging the scalp can help increase blood flow and enhance hair thickness (10). You can massage your scalp every morning with apricot oil. Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes and shampoo as usual.
- Hot Oil Treatment: Warm the apricot oil a little and apply it to your scalp and hair. This warm oil will open your pores and nourish the scalp deep within.
- Aromatherapy: A study showed that pairing a carrier oil with essential oil can help stimulate hair growth through aromatherapy (12). You can also try massage-therapy by mixing apricot oil with other essential oils.
- Hair Masks: Apricot oil can be added to hair masks and packs. The oil may help moisturize the scalp and keeps hair hydrated. Pairing it with other natural ingredients can enhance its effectiveness.
- Hair Products: You can add apricot oil to other hair care products like shampoos and conditioners. This can add extra nourishment to your hair and scalp.
While apricot oil is safe, there are some adverse effects you should be aware of.
Side Effects Of Using Apricot Oil
Apricot oil is generally safe for use on hair and skin. But be wary if you are allergic to apricots. Anecdotal evidence suggests the oil may cause skin redness or irritation. Perform a patch test before you use the oil. Stop use and visit your doctor if you experience any adverse reactions.
Now you know the benefits of apricot oil for hair and the ways to use it effectively. Adding apricot oil to your hair routine, at least once a week, will leave your hair moisturized and nourished. It also makes hair maintenance easy. As we discussed, do a patch test before you use the oil. In case the oil does not suit you, your doctor will prescribe alternatives.
- Lavender Oil For Beautiful, Thick Hair
- Coconut Oil For Healthy And Shiny Hair
- How To Use Castor Oil For Hair Growth
- Is Rosemary Oil Good For Hair? How To Use It?
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- Oil Slick Hair: What Is It And How To Get It - February 23, 2021
- 9 Best Deodorant Soaps To Help With Body Odor - February 22, 2021
- Malibu Hair Treatment: Benefits and How To Do It - February 18, 2021
- How To Dye The End Of Your Hair - February 15, 2021
- 4 Ways To Curl Short Hair – A Step-By Step Guide - February 11, 2021