Argan oil is excellent for maintaining healthy hair. However, you will be surprised to know that you can use argan oil for the face. This nourishing oil is extremely gentle, lightweight, and has moisturizing benefits. In addition, its anti-inflammatory properties help to soothe your skin and get rid of dry patches. Keep reading to understand the benefits of argan oil for the skin and how to use it.
In This Article
Is Argan Oil Good For The Face?
Argan oil is considered the holy grail of oils for hair and skin because it falls right in the middle of the oil spectrum. It is neither too heavy nor too light. It gets easily absorbed into your skin and is also highly moisturizing. You hardly need a drop or two for your face. The best part is that you can apply it directly without a carrier oil.
Around 99% of argan oil is made up of triglycerides (oleic and linoleic acids), and the remaining 1% contains vitamin E, carotenoids, sterols, and polyphenols (1). These are known to be great for the skin.
Argan oil fortifies your skin, reduces inflammation, softens dry patches, and helps improve the overall skin health. Let’s look at some benefits of using argan oil for the skin.
What Are The Benefits Of Argan Oil For The Skin?
- Moisturizes Your Skin
Argan oil contains vitamin E and other fatty acids. It is light and is quickly absorbed into the skin. It hydrates, nourishes, and keeps your skin moisturized for a long time. If you live in arid and cold conditions, you need this oil in your closet. You can probably even replace your regular moisturizer with this one. It suits all skin types, so you have nothing to worry about.
- Treats Acne
Using oil on acne-prone skin (i.e., oily skin) might sound crazy, but argan oil acts as a healing agent. It has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce swelling and soothe acne (2). It also has anti-sebum properties that can help in reducing greasiness and improve the appearance of oily skin (3).
Our skin starts to wrinkle and tends to look duller than it is because it lacks moisture and hydration, which speeds up the aging process. Argan oil increases skin’s regeneration rate and improves its elasticity (4). Since argan oil is extremely hydrating, it locks in moisture and makes your face look plumper, brighter, and softer.
- Protects From Sun Damage
Argan oil contains antioxidants that protect and repair your skin from sunburn, damage, or hyperpigmentation caused due to sun exposure (5). Hyperpigmentation is usually caused due to an increase in the production and accumulation of melanin in your skin. The different components in argan oil work collectively to inhibit the production of melanin.
- Treats And Heals Skin Conditions
Inflamed and itchy patches characterize some skin conditions, like eczema or atopic dermatitis. Apart from your regular medication, using argan oil can reduce the redness of the itchy flaky skin, soothing your skin, locking in the moisture, and maintaining your skin’s barrier function.
- Improves Skin’s Overall Health
Argan oil is loaded with ingredients that are considered the best for maintaining your skin’s health (1). Using it in your everyday skin routine can make a lot of difference to your overall skin appearance.
- Heals Wounds
Argan oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that can help heal wounds (2).
The benefits are great. So, how do you use argan oil for your face?
How To Use Argan Oil For The Face
- Moisturizer – Take a drop or two of argan oil and apply it all over your face before you start your morning routine. Do this at night too and leave it on overnight.
- Hydrating Toner – Pour a drop of argan oil on a cotton pad with your toner on it and dab your face with this blend.
- Lip Exfoliator Or Moisturizer – Add a little bit of argan oil to brown sugar and gently exfoliate your lips with the mixture. Or dab the oil over the lips and leave it on for a while to let it moisturize and soften them.
- Serum – Add argan oil to your serum and let it soak in before you carry on with your skincare routine.
You also need to know how to choose the best argan oil to reap maximum benefits.
How To Choose The Best Argan Oil
- Look for cold-pressed argan oil. It is the most effective on both the hair and the skin.
- Avoid any product that has artificial fragrances, scents, or chemicals.
- Argan oil is all natural and needs no preservatives. So, look for something completely natural and organic.
- Argan oil is expensive because of its extraction method and limited availability of the fruit in only a few parts of the world. Do not fall for anything that is incredibly cheap.
Now that you know what to look for while shopping for argan oil, here are a few brands you can try out!
Best Brands For Argan Oil For The Face
- Viva Naturals Organic Argan Oil For Hair, Face, And Skin – Buy it here!
- Pura D’or (4 oz) Organic Moroccan Argan Oil – Buy it here!
- Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil – Buy it here!
So far, we have seen everything that is good about argan oil. What about the bad? Does it have any side effects? Let’s find out!
Side Effects And Risks
- Even though argan oil is highly fortifying, it can cause skin allergies or aggravate acne in people who have extremely sensitive skin or tree-nut allergies.
- Argan oil is actually made from stone fruit, but it might still cause reactions in some people. Always do a patch test before you go all out with it.
- If you are ingesting argan oil, observe how your body is reacting to it. It can cause severe bloating, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or breakouts.
Most of us use this potent oil for maintaining our hair health, but you can also use argan oil for the face. It has outstanding hydrating abilities and powerful antioxidant benefits. The oil is extremely viscous and, therefore, you will need a drop or two for your entire face. You can use the oil directly on your face or mix it with other oils and DIY remedies to improve your skin health. Follow the tips shared in the article. However, if you have nut allergies or sensitive skin, do a patch test before using the oil on your face.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does argan oil darken skin?
No, there is no evidence to suggest that argan oil darkens skin. On the contrary, argan oil may protect the skin against hyperpigmentation caused by free radicals and sun damage (5).
Is argan oil good for under eyes?
Yes, pure argan oil may help reduce puffiness and dark circles under eyes.
Is it okay to use argan oil everyday?
Yes, it is okay to use small amounts of argan oil on skin every day.
What colour is pure argan oil?
Pure argan oil is deep yellow in color.
Does argan oil have a smell?
Yes, pure cosmetic-grade argan oil has a unique, raw, and nutty smell which disappears soon after application as the oil is absorbed into the skin.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- “Benefits of Argan Oil on Human Health-May 4–6 2017, Errachidia, Morocco” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Argan oil” Alternative Medicine Review.
- “The effect of dietary and/or cosmetic argan oil on postmenopausal skin elasticity” Clinical Interventions in Aging, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Activation of MITF by Argan Oil Leads to the Inhibition of the Tyrosinase and Dopachrome Tautomerase Expressions in B16 Murine Melanoma Cells” Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, US National Library of Medicine.