Argan oil is extracted from the Moroccan argan tree. Argan oil popularly called ‘liquid gold.’ It is enriched with vitamins, fatty acids, and minerals. These nutrients help nourish your hair and promote hair growth.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that argan oil can reduce hair damage, improve overall hair and scalp health, and stimulate hair growth. But does science back this up? In this article, we take a look at how argan helps stimulate hair growth and improves hair health. Read on for more information.
In This Article
What Makes Argan Oil Good For Hair?
Argan oil consists of vitamin E, sterols, polyphenols, ferulic acid, carotenoids, squalene, and essential fatty acids (1). They are all excellent emollients that help to condition and moisturize hair.
- Vitamin E contains tocopherols that have good antioxidant properties.
- The essential fatty acids – oleic acid, linoleic acid, alpha-linoleic acid, palmitic acid, myristic acid, and stearidonic acid – have antioxidant properties. These antioxidant properties help reduce free radicals and eliminate oxidative stress that causes hair fall. They also fight against cell damage and premature aging.
- It also contains beta-carotene and carotenoids that protect the hair from UV radiation and free radical damage (2).
- It contains polyphenols that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to improve scalp and hair health (1).
- Ferulic acid is an antioxidant that protects the hair from UV damage and photoaging (3).
- Squalene, also naturally found in sebum, helps cell growth. It also has antioxidant, detoxifying, and emollient properties (4). Thus, it can keep your hair moisturized and protected from free radical damage.
- Sterols are moisture retainers, which may help keep hair nourished and hydrated.
Discussed below are the benefits of using argan oil for the hair.
Benefits of Argan Oil For Hair
- Argan oil improves skin hydration and maintains its water-holding capacity (5). It moisturizes the hair and scalp and forms a protective layer around the hair.
- Argan oil imparts shine and smoothness to hair and tames frizz.
- Argan oil prevents hair from becoming brittle. It promotes elasticity, thereby strengthening hair shafts (1).
- Argan oil can protect hair from hair coloring damage. A study showed that argan oil helped rejuvenate colored hair (6).
- Argan oil’s protective seal also rescues hair from damage by styling tools and chemicals (7).
- Argan oil contains the needed nutrients to help rejuvenate damaged hair.
- Argan oil protects hair porosity. Hair often absorbs water easily, which leaves the shafts open to hair damage. Argan oil increases the hair’s hydrophobicity (7).
- Argan oil penetrates the hair’s cortex and nourishes the hair shaft. It also repairs any hair damage from within.
- Argan oil contains vitamin E, which helps reduce lipid peroxidation (8). Lipid peroxidation is the process of deterioration of lipids due to the oxidative free radicals. Vitamin E helps reduce oxidative stress, which is one of the main causes of hair fall and hair damage.
- Argan oil has antioxidant properties that help protect the hair from heat and sun damage.
- Argan oil, on consistent usage, reduces and prevents hair loss.
- Argan oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties (9). These properties suggest that it can improve scalp health and prevent fungal infections like dandruff.
- Argan oil helps increase the production of keratin, stimulating hair growth. It also helps extend the life of hair follicles.
Now that we are aware of how argan oil benefits hair health, let us take a look at a few ways to incorporate argan oil into your hair care routine.
How To Use Argan Oil For Hair
1. Argan Oil Shampoo
Argan oil shampoo is great for revitalizing hair and promoting hair growth. It can make the hair shiny and soft and reduce brittleness. The best part about an argan oil shampoo is that you can use it like any other shampoo.
Squeeze a coin-sized amount of the shampoo on your palms and rub it into your scalp and along the length of your hair. Work up a lather and then rinse the shampoo with cool water. Use the shampoo once in two days to nourish and improve the appearance of your hair.
2. Argan Oil Leave-In Conditioner
An argan oil conditioner is ideal for hair growth. You can use pure argan oil as a leave-in conditioner. It is effective and chemical-free.
Take in a few drops of argan oil in your palm and rub your palms together. Finger it through your washed hair gently and massage the scalp thoroughly.
3. Argan Oil Mask
You can also use pure argan oil as a mask for hair growth by leaving it overnight on your hair.
Take a liberal amount of oil in a bowl and warm it. Massage the oil into your scalp, hair, and tips. Begin from the hairline and work your way backward, covering the sides. Continue the massage for 15 minutes.
Wrap your hair with a towel and leave it on overnight, allowing the oil to soak into your hair and scalp thoroughly. Wash your hair in the morning with a regular shampoo.
Leaving the hair mask overnight helps your hair absorb all the nutrients in argan oil. It becomes incredibly smooth, soft, and shiny.
4. Argan Oil And Castor Oil Mask
Castor oil works well with argan oil, and both have similar benefits. Castor oil helps condition the hair and repairs hair damage (10). It prevents split ends and hair loss. It also helps prevent dandruff. Since both oils are conditioners, this is an excellent hydrating mask.
- 1 tablespoon of castor oil
- 2 tablespoons of argan oil
- 50-100 ml of coconut milk (depending on the length and thickness of your hair)
- Mix all the ingredients well in a container and apply the mask thoroughly to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on overnight and rinse it off in the morning with shampoo.
5. Argan Oil And Coconut Oil Mask
Coconut oil and argan oil is another ideal combination for hair growth. Both oils can penetrate the hair shaft and nourish from within ( ). They can repair damage and protect it from UV radiation.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 drops of argan oil
- Plastic comb
- Hair band
- Mix the argan and coconut oil and keep it aside.
- Comb your hair.
- Apply the oil mixture to your hair and scalp. Concentrate more on the lower half of the hair.
- After applying the oil throughout your hair, comb your hair again to distribute the oil mixture evenly.
- Tie your hair up in a knot and wear a hair cap.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off. You can even leave it overnight.
- Shampoo your hair the next morning.
Let’s now find out what the best argan oil products available on the market are.
Top Argan Oil Hair Products
1. OGX Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo
The OGX Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo is a blend of argan oil and other moisturizers that revitalizes and softens your hair. It protects your hair from harmful UV rays and renews the structure of your hair cells. The product is not tested on animals and is paraben-free.
2. SheaMoisture Argan Oil
The SheaMoisture Argan Oil is a combination of argan oil and raw shea that makes for a fast-absorbing oil mist. It hydrates your scalp and keeps it healthy. The product imparts a shiny finish to your hair. It works as a pre-protection mask for styling hair with hot tools.
3. PureNature Argan Oil Conditioner
The PureNature Argan Oil Conditioner gives you salon-like conditioning. It strengthens and enhances dry hair. The conditioner has a mild pH, which is suitable for all hair types. It deeply conditions your hair and is safe to use on colored and blow-dried hair.
Argan oil is a safe and healthy solution for hair loss and damage. It not only moisturizes your hair and scalp but also protects your hair from everyday damage and imparts shine to it. Try any of the recipes and products listed in the article to reap the benefits of argan oil for hair growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often do I use argan oil?
Use argan oil regularly for hair growth. Use it 2-3 times a week to repair and condition your hair.
Do I have to dilute argan oil before using it?
No, you need not dilute argan oil before usage.
- Monfalouti, Hanae El, et al. “Therapeutic potential of argan oil: a review.” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology12 (2010): 1669-1675.
- Stahl, Wilhelm, and Helmut Sies. “β-Carotene and other carotenoids in protection from sunlight.” The American journal of clinical nutrition5 (2012): 1179S-1184S.
- Lin, Fu-Hsiung et al. “Ferulic acid stabilizes a solution of vitamins C and E and doubles its photoprotection of skin.” The Journal of investigative dermatology 125,4 (2005): 826-32.
- Kim, Se-Kwon, and Fatih Karadeniz. “Biological importance and applications of squalene and squalane.” Advances in food and nutrition research 65 (2012): 223-33.
- Boucetta, Kenza Qiraouani et al. “Skin hydration in postmenopausal women: argan oil benefit with oral and/or topical use.” Przeglad menopauzalny = Menopause review 13,5 (2014): 280-8.
- Faria, Pamella Mello, et al. “Hair protective effect of argan oil (Argania spinosa kernel oil) and cupuassu butter (Theobroma grandiflorum seed butter) post treatment with hair dye.” Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications03 (2013): 40.
- Gavazzoni Dias, Maria Fernanda Reis. “Hair cosmetics: an overview.” International journal of trichology 7,1 (2015): 2-15.
- Almohanna, Hind M et al. “The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review.” Dermatology and therapy 9,1 (2019): 51-70.
- Lall, Namrita, et al. “The Anti-proliferative and Anti-bacterial Activity of Argan oil and Crude Saponin Extract from Argania spinosa (L.) Skeels.” Pharmacognosy Journal1 (2019).
- Zaid, Abdel Naser et al. “Ethnopharmacological survey of home remedies used for treatment of hair and scalp and their methods of preparation in the West Bank-Palestine.” BMC complementary and alternative medicine 17,1 355.
- Rele, Aarti S, and R B Mohile. “Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.” Journal of cosmetic science 54,2 (2003): 175-92.
- 16 Best Argan Oils For Hair
- How To Stimulate Hair Growth And Maintain Hair Health
- 15 Best Argan Oil Shampoos – 2020
- Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo Review
- Mamaearth Argan Shampoo Benefits