If you are new to yoga, then you must definitely try practicing the unique art of living yoga at least once! This form of yoga gives you a refreshing experience and keeps you fit, healthy and rejuvenated throughout the day!
The Art of Living yoga has been founded by the spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. This foundation inspires thousands of people by motivating them to lead a stress-free, depression-free and healthy life.
Art of living has designed special courses which include poses/ asanas, breathing techniques (pranayama) and intensive meditation. It focuses on physical as well as mental fitness of an individual.
Art of Living yoga asanas includes standing poses, sitting poses, asanas lying on the back, asanas lying on stomach and others.
Few of the prominent Art of Living yoga postures have been mentioned below. Follow the steps and get started with an all new yoga style at home:
1. Utkatasana:This is known as chair pose.
- Stand on the floor in a straight pose.
- Move your feet slightly apart from each other.
- Join your hands in prayer position and stretch your hands upwards.
- Bend your knees and bring your thighs in a parallel line with the ground.
- Look straight.
- Remain steady and relax.
2. Prasarita Padotanasana:
This is known as standing forward bend with feet apart.
- Stand on the floor in a straight pose, hands at the side of the body.
- Bend your body downwards from your hips until your hands reach your feet.
- Hold the big toe of your feet with your hands.
- Lay the crown of your head on the floor.
- Remain steady for 15 seconds.
3. Purvottanasana:This is known as the upward plank pose.
- Lie down on the floor on your belly.
- Fold your legs from your knees and place your foot on the floor.
- Place your palms on the floor exactly besides your chest.
- Try to lift up your body in the upward direction.
- Look upwards towards the ceiling.
- Straighten your legs and place your feet on your heels.
- Remain steady for some time.
4. Anantasana:This is known as Lord Vishnu’s pose.
- Lie down on the floor on your back.
- Turn your body towards the left side.
- Lift up your right leg in a 90 degree angle in the upward direction.
- Place your left hand beneath your head in order to support the position.
- Keep the other leg straight.
- Clasp the right foot with your right hand.
- Remain steady for 10 seconds.
- Repeat this activity on the other side as well.
This is known as ‘the deep relaxation pose’ or ‘the corpse pose’.
- Lie down on the floor on your back.
- Spread your legs on the floor and relax your ankles.
- Spread your hands on the floor away from your body
- Spread your fingers and palms facing upwards.
- Relax your head on the either side of the body in a comfortable position.
- Breathe completely, slowly and deeply.
- Close your eyes.
- Concentrate on your whole body
- Visualize your body in front of you with eyes closed.
- Remain steady for 5-10 minutes.
Pranayama or breathing exercise is an equally important part of Art of Living yoga session. To learn the basic pranayama session, follow the instructions given below:
- Take a deep breath.
- Close the right nostril with thumb of right hand.
- Inhale with the left one and exhale with the same.
- Try and breathe with both the nostrils one after the other.
- Continue this activity for 2-3 minutes.
Do try practicing these unique asanas from the Art of Living module and get started with an all new yoga at home.
Latest posts by amruta (see all)
- Art Of Living Yoga – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits? - December 3, 2013
- Top 10 Yoga Poses To Improve Your Memory - November 27, 2013
- Siddha Samadhi Yoga – What Is It And What Are Its Benefits - November 8, 2013
- Nada Yoga – How To Do And What Are Its Benefits? - October 19, 2013
- 5 Baba Ramdev Yoga Asanas For Curing Diabetes - August 30, 2013