Have you tried a zillion hair care products, salon treatments, and home remedies to get those much-coveted luscious locks, only to end up disappointed? Then, you may have to take a closer look at your hair’s pH.
The right pH of hair allows it to thrive. But pollution, harsh products, and other aggressors disturb this pH balance and cause your hair to become dry, damaged, and lackluster. Imbalanced hair pH can also cause unwanted microbial growth on the scalp. Worry not – as here we have listed certain natural methods and products that can help balance the pH of hair. Keep reading to know how you can get those gorgeous locks you have always dreamed of.
In This Article
What Is The pH Of Hair?
The pH of the hair shaft is 3.67, while that of the scalp is 5.5. Optimum pH levels are crucial for the overall health of your hair. pH, or the potential of hydrogen, denotes the concentration of Hydrogen ions (H+). Thus, based on the pH, we can classify a substance as acidic (pH below 7), neutral (pH of 7), and basic or alkaline (pH above 7).
This shows our hair is acidic. In the upcoming section, we will further delve into the importance of hair pH and how you can maintain it.
Why Does The pH Of Your Hair Matter?
The optimum hair pH is acidic. An acidic hair pH regulates sebum production and microbial growth. Disturbance in the hair pH can mean loss of moisture or an imbalance in sebum production. This can lead to dry, brittle hair. Even the hair care products you use should not disrupt the natural pH balance of your hair.
- For instance, alkaline shampoos increase the negative charge on the hair strands (1). They cause the hair cuticles to swell up and open, making hair frizzy. Such shampoos can damage the cuticles and make hair prone to breakage.
- Similarly, an acidic pH regulates the bacterial growth on the scalp. Products with an alkaline pH can trigger microbial overgrowth and cause scalp infections, itchiness, and clog hair follicles.
- Alkaline hair is often characterized by a dry, itchy, and flaky scalp. It disrupts the natural sebum protection mechanism and makes your hair vulnerable to infections.
- Bleaches and hair dyes contain alkaline ingredients essential for pigment deposition. However, these also can upset the natural pH of your hair and cause cuticle damage.
pH-balanced hair care products can gently cleanse the scalp of product build-up and dead skin cells without stripping the natural moisture and oils. These can also restore the optimum hair pH and make your hair smooth, shiny, and healthy.
How To Balance The pH Of Hair Naturally
You can start by examining your hair for dryness, brittleness, or itchiness. Using acidic ingredients can help restore your hair pH. These shrink the hair fibers of the cuticles and cause them to lie flat on the hair shaft, making the hair smoother.
- Aloe Vera Juice Rinse
Apply aloe vera gel to your hair and rinse with warm water. You may also add a few drops of coconut oil if you have dry hair. This rinse also closes the cuticles and removes frizz.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Apple cider vinegar has a pH of 3. Hence, it is essential to dilute it with water before use. Use the diluted mixture on your hair strands to balance their pH.
- Aloe Vera Hair Mask
You will need
- One cup of aloe vera juice
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture to your hair by distributing it evenly along the hair length. Divide your hair into sections for proper coverage.
- You can also apply this mixture to your scalp to reduce dandruff. Massage gently with your fingertips in slow, circular motions.
- Leave this mask on for 20 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition as usual. Use lukewarm water.
Your hair pH is naturally acidic, and alkaline products can charge it with negative ions and open up the hair cuticles. Hence, go for pH-balanced products such as shampoos, leave-in conditioners, and simple homemade rinses with aloe vera juice or apple cider vinegar. These can restore your hair pH and even promote hair health.
- 11 Brilliant Homemade Hair Rinses That Work Wonders
- How To Wash Hair Without Shampoo: 6 Simple Ways To Try
- Best Hair Care Tips And Tricks To Include In Your Beauty Regimen
- 10 Simple Home Remedies To Detox Your Hair