The aroma of freshly brewed coffee may fill your mind with a pleasant feeling, especially on cold winter evenings, but have you ever thought about its uses as oil? Sounds incredible, doesn’t it? But yes, it’s true.
Coffee essential oil, apart from having an invigorating aroma, also has a number of health benefits!
Would you like to know what they are? Read on!
1. As An Antioxidant:
This essential oil has antioxidant properties (1). So, it can be used as an external solution to combat harmful effects of free radicals. A few studies have indicated that its antioxidants help enhance liver function and lower the risk of liver cirrhosis.
2. As An Anti-Depressant:
Coffee essential oil can help you fight depressing moments. You may use cotton balls soaked in this oil and keep them close to bed. The invigorating aroma will help lift your mood, and you will be able to get rid of depression.
[ Read: Uses Of Lemon Verbena Essential Oil ]
3. As A Respiratory Aid:
When you suffer from a blocked nose, using this essential oil can be helpful. It can help clear blocked nasal passages.
4. As An Aid To Fight Nausea:
You may feel nauseous for a number of reasons. Instead of using OTC medication to treat nausea, you may use this essential oil.
5. As Aromatherapy:
You may have used many essential oils for the purpose of aromatherapy. But coffee essential oil can be used as a means to deodorize rooms and invigorate the body. You may mix it with other oils for massaging purposes (2).
6. As A Natural Therapy For Bug Stings:
Bug and insect stings can be quite painful. Instead of rushing for an OTC product to reduce the swelling and pain caused by such stings, you can resort to coffee essential oil.
7. As A Soap For Its Therapeutic Effects:
You can mix a few drops of coffee essential oil with shower gel to obtain its therapeutic effects on the body.
Now that you know all about coffee essential oil benefits, let’s go ahead and check out how you can prepare it at home.
Preparing Coffee Essential Oil:
While you can very well buy this oil at the stores, making coffee essential oil at home is not much tedious.
- You will need to use olive oil and coffee beans, either roasted or green, for this purpose.
- Cover and cook this mixture on a very slow heat for a few hours.
- Stir the mixture now and then when it is on the heat.
- When the oil is ready, use a strainer to segregate and discard the coffee beans.
- Next, strain the oil again using cheesecloth.
- Pour the oil in an airtight glass container.
Commercially sold essential coffee oil is made in two processes. The first is the low heat procedure, which is also called the cold pressed method. The other method is known as the CO2 method. Both methods yield an oil with a thick and syrupy texture with a typical coffee aroma.
Ways To Use Coffee Essential Oil:
There are quite a few ways to use coffee essential oil:
- You can use it with other essential oils. As a matter of fact, you can mix it with plenty of essential oils. Examples are patchouli, sandalwood, ylang-ylang and rose oils.
- It can be applied as an infusion.
- Some people use it for flavoring with beverages.
Points To Keep In Mind:
Do not take the coffee essential oil internally. Kids and pregnant women should not use it without a physician’s approval. You also need to see if you are allergic to it before applying the oil to the skin.
How did you like this post? Tell us by commenting in the box below!
- 16 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Apricot Oil
- 10 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 10 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Babassu Oil
- 14 Amazing Health Benefits And Uses Of Lemon Essential Oil
- 10 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Lemon Verbena Essential Oil
Latest posts by Renold Rajan (see all)
- Why Should You Use Coconut Oil For Tanning? - September 2, 2015
- Beware! 10 Side Effects Of Lemon Myrtle Tea - August 31, 2015
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Spider Veins - August 17, 2015
- 10 Best Vipassana Meditation Centres In India - August 17, 2015
- Is Pineapple Good For Your Liver? - July 24, 2015