Who has not heard that popular saying ‘an apple a day, keeps doctor away’! Truly, an apple is full of nutrients. This mouth watering sweet and tangy fruit is adored all around the world for its manifold nutritional values. However, did you know that apple peel is as nutritious as the pulp? The skin of apple is stuffed with multiple health and skincare benefits. It makes an ideal food for one who wants to reduce excessive bodyweight fast. It is in fact unknown by many of us that the main part of the nutrients of apple resides within apple peel alone. Hence, do not throw off the peel next time you have this wonder fruit.
Table Of Contents
Apple Peel Nutritional Facts
Apple peel is the nutrient storehouse of the apple. A person, who leaves out the peel while having the apple, fails to enjoy the actual nutritional value of the fruit. Here is some data on the nutritional facts on apple peel.
Serving size: peel of 1 medium apple
Energy: 18 kcal
Calories from fat: 0 kcal
Total fat (% of RDA)
Saturated fat: 0gm
Trans fat: 0 gm
Polyunsaturated fat: 0 gm
Monounsaturated fat: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Potassium: 25 mg—1%
Total carbohydrate: 1 gm—0%
Dietary fiber: 2 gm—4%
Protein: <1 gm- 0%
Vitamin C- 1%
Vitamin A- 1%
*There are other vitamins and minerals as well in small amounts in apple peel.
Nutritional Value of Apple Peel
Apple peel is a rich source of mostly all types of vitamins. Among all types of vitamins present in the apple peel, the amount of vitamin A & C is more from others. A study conducted at the University of Illinois came out with the conclusion that half of the vitamin C of the apple is present in its skin alone.
1. While vitamin A is excellent for the eyesight and skin, vitamin C is the finest nutrient for strengthening immunity system. The same vitamin is also very good for the health of the skin. In addition to these vitamins, apple peel is also rich in vitamin K and folates. A vitamin called choline present in apple is quite helpful for building new body cells.
2. Apple peel is equally good in minerals. It is highly rich in calcium and phosphorous. In addition, there is an adequate amount of zinc, sodium, and magnesium present in the apple peel. Iron quantity in apple is satisfactorily high, and therefore makes a healthy food option for anaemic patients. The expecting women are often prescribed to eat this fruit in adequate amount due to the abundance of folic acid and iron. The calcium and iron are also good for bone and teeth health.
3. Apple peel is a significant source of edible fibre. The fibre in apple skin is present in both soluble and insoluble form. About two-third of the apple’s fibre is present in the peel alone. The presence of fibre makes it an ideal weight loss fruit. It targets the fat tissues of the body to melt down, and cleanses the immune system effectively. Eating an apple with the skin regularly is good for comfortable bowel movement too. This helps to maintain a healthy cardiovascular and digestive system.
4. Apple peels are greatest source of natural antioxidants. If you are in search of a fruit that tops in antioxidant photochemical such as phenolic acid and flavonoid, pick up an apple confidently. The antioxidants act as a protector from the impurities, free radicals, and destructive molecules. The apple peel, effectively trigger free radicals that often lead to brunch of health disorders. Eating an apple daily is therefore extremely important to resist diseases like heart attack and diabetes.
5. A recent study conducted at the University of Illinois reveals that apple contains a compound called triterpenoid that has the ability to fight with harmful cancer creating cells. Apple peel efficiently reduces the risk of liver, breast, and colon cancer.
Hope you understood the nutritional benefits of apple peel. We would love to read your feedback and views. So please do share us your feedback.
Latest posts by Shruti Goenka (see all)
- 10 Best Nu Skin Care Products – Our Top Picks of 2020 - March 18, 2021
- Best Victoria Secret Lip Glosses – Our Top 10 Picks - March 14, 2021
- Create Your Own Maybelline Makeup Kit With These 10 Amazing Products - March 18, 2014
- 10 Pictures Of Emma Stone Without Makeup - March 15, 2014
- Top 5 Keya Seth’s Bridal Makeup Packages - March 14, 2014