Bentonite clay may sound like something that belongs in a geologist’s lab. But, in reality, it is a great natural skin and hair care product that you need to stock up on ASAP. Now, some people may have reservations about putting what is essentially dirt on their hair. But, trust me when I say this – the results of bentonite clay for hair will astound you! Intrigued? Then let’s look at what bentonite clay is…
What Is Bentonite Clay?
Bentonite clay is a natural healing clay that is mined directly from the earth. Also known as Aztec Indian Healing clay, bentonite clay is an absorbent aluminum phyllosilicate clay. It is formed by the weathering of volcanic ash (how cool is that?!) in the presence of water. Bentonite clay is dried in the sun before being sold as a facial or hair mask.
Bentonite clay is a pretty cool product to use on your skin as it works wonders in lifting toxins and getting rid of impurities. Tons of women out there have seen an improvement in their oily, acne-prone skin after using a bentonite clay facial mask.
So what about its benefits for hair, you ask? Well, there are quite a few, so let me list them out for you…
What Are The Benefits Of Bentonite Clay For Hair?
There are two main reasons why bentonite clay has a ton of benefits. First, because it is negatively charged (when combined with water or apple cider vinegar). It draws out toxins from the hair, which is positively charged. Second, it contains many minerals that are essential for hair growth like sodium, potassium, and calcium. Pretty neat, huh? So it comes as no surprise that it is a holy grail product for hair. Here are all how it is beneficial for your hair:
- It gets rid of dandruff: Dandruff forms when a fungus called Malassezia infects your scalp. This fungus thrives on the extra sebum that is secreted by your scalp. Bentonite clay soaks up this extra sebum and makes your scalp inhospitable for this fungus, thus preventing the formation of more dandruff. It also scrapes off dandruff that has already accumulated on the head.
- Aids hair growth: As we mentioned earlier, bentonite clay contains sodium, potassium, and calcium – minerals that are essential for hair growth. But, additionally, it also removes dead skin cells from your scalp and cleanses hair follicles that, in turn, boost hair growth.
- Protects from infections: We’ve already talked about how the negatively charged bentonite clay mask draws out toxins from your positively charged hair. It also cleanses your scalp of oil and buildup. Both these actions combined protect your hair and scalp from bacterial and fungal infections.
- Adds shine to your hair: Besides working as an excellent hair mask, bentonite clay also makes for an excellent hair rinse that adds intense shine to your hair.
Find out more beauty benefits of bentonite clay here.
Bentonite Clay For Natural Hair (Type 4 Kinky Hair)
Anyone with type 4 kinky hair knows that it is thick, coarse, extremely fragile, and always in need of moisturization. A bentonite clay hair mask works like a charm for this hair type. It gently cleanses your scalp while deeply cleansing your hair. But its main benefit lies in providing deep conditioning and intense moisturization to your hair. As a result, you end up with elongated and supremely defined curls.
I’m sure you’re now fully aboard this bentonite clay train. So, let’s look at how you can make a hair mask with it!
[ Read: DIY Banana Hair Masks ]
How To Make A Bentonite Clay Hair Mask
- ½ cup bentonite clay
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon castor oil
- ½ tablespoon almond oil
- Plastic or glass bowl
- Wooden spoon
What To Do
- Mix the bentonite clay, coconut oil, castor oil, and almond oil in the bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the bowl and let it froth for 15 seconds before mixing it vigorously.
- Let the mixture sit for a couple of minutes. It should form a smooth, yogurt-like consistency. Make sure there are no lumps.
How To Apply Bentonite Clay For Hair Growth
- Rinse your hair with water to wet it. This will help in applying the hair mask smoothly.
- Pick up handfuls of hair at a time and apply the bentonite clay mask from the roots to the tips.
- If your hair starts drying, dampen it again with the help of a spray bottle.
- Roll up your hair and put on a shower cap.
- Leave the mask in for 20 minutes.
- Rinse out the mask with warm water. You can use shampoo.
- Condition your hair before rinsing it again.
Bentonite Clay Hair Wash
If shiny hair is what you desire, then that’s exactly what you’ll get with this simple bentonite clay hair wash that takes just 2 minutes to make.
- 2 tablespoons bentonite clay
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of water
What To Do
- Combine all the ingredients in a plastic mug/bowl.
- Pour this hair wash all over your hair after shampooing it.
- Let it sit for 3 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
Yes, bentonite clay is pretty damn amazing for your hair. But it also comes with its share of precautions that need to be taken to make sure you don’t ruin your hair or your bathroom!
- Don’t use a metal bowl or spoon when making your bentonite hair mask. Bentonite clay reacts pretty quickly when it comes in contact with metal, meaning its benefits would be rendered null by the time you apply it to your hair.
- You will need to wash off the hair mask with warm water before it is completely dry as it can be pretty difficult to remove once it dries up.
- Run some hot water down the drain after washing off the bentonite hair mask so that it does not clog up your plumbing.
Now that you know everything there is to know about making and applying bentonite clay to your hair, let’s see if it has any side effects…
[ Read: Effective Hair Masks To Treat Hair Loss ]
Side Effects Of Bentonite Clay
Concerns have been raised about the fact that bentonite clay contains aluminum and whether it’s safe to be used on our body. However, there is no need to worry about this as our bodies also contain aluminum and it’s safe to use it on our face, body, and hair. Besides, the high negative charge of bentonite clay makes it impossible to leach into your body through your skin. So, rest easy!
So, as you can see, bentonite clay for hair is a miracle product and you need to try it out as soon as you can! Comment below if you have any more questions for us!
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Honey For Hair Growth
- 10 Astonishing Benefits Of Yogurt For Skin And Hair
- 6 Simple Homemade Mud Masks
- 10 Simple Home Remedies To Detox Your Hair