Cardamom or elaichi is the ‘Queen of Spices’. But exactly what is black cardamom? Let us tell you that before we head to the benefits.
Black cardamom is a small herb with strong aromatic fragrances and can be availed in two varieties – ‘black cardamom’ and ‘green cardamom’. Black cardamom or hill cardamom is the most popular species among these two. It is widely used in cooking for its unique taste and powerful flavor. Black Cardamom is also known as ‘Kali Elaichi’ in Hindi, ‘Nalla Elakulu’ in Telugu, ‘Karupu Elakkai’ in Tamil, ‘Karutta Elakka’ in Malayalam, ‘Kari Elakki’ in Kannada, ‘Badi ilaychi’ in Gujarati, ‘Masalyaci Velci’ in Marathi, and ‘Baro Elaca’ in Bengali.
The oil extracted from the seeds of the herb is known as one of the most effective essential oils and is widely used in aromatherapy. From promoting your heath to making your hair shiny, there are a number of ways this spice can be used. In this post, we will discuss about the benefits of black cardamom for health, skin and hair.
In This Article
Benefits of Black Cardamom for Health
Many of us still don’t have any idea about how black cardamom helps us in maintaining our health. The spice has a number of medicinal benefits and we must learn about them in order to make use of it as a natural remedy.
1. Gastro-Intestinal Health: Black cardamom has high positive impact on the gastro-intestinal tract. It can stimulate the gastric and intestinal glands to secret essential juices with the help of its stimulative properties. It also helps in regulating the procedure of juice secretion in order to keep the amount of stomach acids under control. As a result, the chances of developing gastric ulcers or other digestive disorders go down significantly. The spice is also helpful in curing heart burn and stomach cramps, which are two most common symptoms of gastro-intestinal disorders. Digestive properties of the substance are also very important to heal chronic constipation and improve appetite. In addition, being carminative in nature, black cardamom can give you relief from abdominal gas. It helps you get rid of indigestion as well as flatulence caused by it.
2. Cardiovascular Health: Black cardamoms also influences the cardiac health to a great extent. Controlling cardiac rhythm is one of its most important benefits, which eventually keeps your blood pressure under check. Your heart remains healthy with regular intake of black cardamom. It reduces the probabilities of blood clot. This spice is also very effective in protecting you from heat stroke or sun stroke during scorching summer.
3. Respiratory Health: If you are suffering from serious respiratory troubles, black cardamom can be a great antidote for you. A number of respiratory disorders including asthma, whooping cough, lung congestions, bronchitis, pulmonary tuberculosis etc. can be treated successfully with this little spice. It warms up your respiratory tract so that the air circulation through the lungs becomes easier. Moreover, black cardamom works as an expectorant and helps you stay away from cough, cold, sore throat etc. by alleviating the mucous membrane and normalizing the flow of mucous through the respiratory tract.
4. Oral Health: Several dental disorders, such as teeth infection, gum infection etc. can be treated with black cardamom. Furthermore, its strong aroma can help in curing halitosis or bad breath.
[ Read: Barley Uses ]
5. Urinary Health: Being an effective diuretic, black cardamoms can facilitate urination and keeps your renal system healthy.
6. Anti-Carcinogenic Properties: There are two antioxidants named 3’-Diindolylmethane (DIM) and Indole-3-Carbinol (I3C) in black cardamom, which combat breast, colon, prostate and ovarian cancer. The anti-carcinogenic properties of the spice also raise the amount of glutathione (an antioxidant) in the body and prevent the generation and growth of cancerous cells.
7. Detoxification: Studies have revealed that black cardamom is a good detoxifier for your body. It is capable of eliminating caffeine from the blood so that you can stay safe from the adverse effects of the alkaloid.
8. Anesthetic Properties: The oil extracted from black cardamom is highly anesthetic and sedative. It can curb acute pain like headache and provide immediate relief. The essential oil prepared from the spice is also used in eliminating stress and fatigue.
9. Antiseptic and Antibacterial Properties: It has been seen that black cardamom can destroy microbes of almost 14 different species. Hence, its intake boosts your immunity and provides you protection against bacterial or viral infections.
[ Read: Black Salt ]
Benefits of Black Cardamom for Skin
You can take great care of your skin by using black cardamom both externally and internally. To know how this small spice can enhance your look, go through the following section:
10. Black cardamom is full of the antioxidants, vitamin C and the essential mineral potassium. Hence, regular consumption of the spice can keep your internal system free from toxic materials, thereby improving the circulation of blood throughout the skin surface and keeping it healthy. So, if you want to get a firm, toned and youthful look, start consuming black cardamom in a regular manner.
11. Black cardamom not only keeps your ageing at bay, but it also helps you in getting a fairer skin complexion.
12. Due to its antibacterial properties, black cardamom is used as a natural remedy for ‘contact dermatitis’ or skin allergy.
[ Read: Black Currant ]
Benefits of Black Cardamom for Hair
Whether you use black cardamom in cooking or use the cardamom oil topically, you can benefit your hair in both ways. Know more the benefits of black cardamom for hair:
13. The anti-oxidative properties of black cardamom are helpful in providing nourishment to your scalp and hair strands. As a result, you get strong, thick and shiny tresses.
14. As it is antiseptic and antibacterial by nature, its consumption is also good for preventing irritation and infection on scalp.
[ Read: Mustard Oil Benefits ]
If you like the article, do not forget to leave us a comment. Stay fit, stay healthy!