Breadfruit benefits your health in many ways. Firstly, it is actually not a fruit, but a vegetable botanically. Originating from a flowering tree called ‘Artocarpus Altillis’, it belongs to the mulberry and jackfruit family. It has a thick green skin and soft yellow fleshy pulp inside, similar to that of jackfruit. When cooked or fried, these taste similar to freshly baked bread, and hence the name! However, sometimes these starch-rich fruits can taste like potatoes as well!
This soft and mushy vegetable tastes delicious when steamed, fried, baked, barbequed, or grilled! With its high nutrition content, it offers you many health benefits as well! Especially when it comes to your skin and hair health, breadfruits have always seemed to have a promising effect! To know more about breadfruits, their benefits, and ways to include them in your diet, read on!
In This Article
Health Benefits of Breadfruit
1. Breadfruit is rich in fiber. The fiber content of the vegetable may help manage diabetes (1). Research found that regular intake of breadfruit could reduce the risk of diabetes and keeps the same under control. It does so by reducing the absorption of sugar by the human body from food.
2. For being rich in fiber, breadfruit is also an excellent energy booster. It gives the fullness of eating without increasing the calorie intake. Therefore, a person feels energetic and active after eating breadfruit. This vegetable is also good at reducing the risk of heart disorder and cholesterol problems. Studies have shown that breadfruit helps to reduce bad cholesterol while inducing the amount of good cholesterol in the body (2).
3. Breadfruit is a rich source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Besides being beneficial for skin and hair, these two essential fatty acids are quite good for maintaining a healthy heart. The omega-3 fatty acid is also essential for the growth of the brain and mind. Regular intake of breadfruit can help a growing child in the development of the brain to great extent (3).
4. Regular intake of breadfruit is beneficial for proper bowel movement and intestine functionalisms (4). The fiber present in breadfruit again helps to pass stool and also drains out toxins from the intestine.
5. Breadfruit is considered an ideal diet food as well. For people suffering from overweight, breadfruit is the best option. This great to taste food is good for an overweight person, as it contains less calories and high fiber amounts (5). The fiber in breadfruit is truly a multi-tasker, as it helps manage and reduce fats and cellulites.
Skin Benefits of Breadfruit
6. Apart from the various health benefits that breadfruit provides to all, it has some skin benefits as well. The vegetable is stuffed with a lot of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are both considered excellent for the skin. In addition, it is also a rich source of vitamin C, which is considered excellent for skin health (6).
7. Regular consumption of this food makes skin healthy from both outside and inside. Recent studies have established that antioxidants present in breadfruit are good for preventing skin infections and rashes (7). It is good to eat breadfruit for enhancing skin tone as well. A person would surely enjoy smooth and shining skin by eating breadfruit in the adequate amount.
Breadfruit Benefits for Hair
8. Breadfruit is an excellent source of all vitamins and minerals. For being so, it makes a healthy choice for the hair health too. Again, the omega- and 6 fatty acids prove to wonder for the hair follicles (8).
9. Regular intake of breadfruit strengthens hair roots and stimulates hair growth. The vegetable is a very good option for one who looks for healthy and thick hair.
Breadfruit Nutrition Chart
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.20 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||4.9 g||13%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Vitamin C||29 mg||48%|
|Vitamin E||0.10 mg||1%|
|Vitamin K||0.5 µg||<1%|
Breadfruit’s benefits go beyond its variety of culinary preparations. It is loaded with nutrients like dietary fiber, antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. Breadfruit may help with digestive health and facilitate bowel movement. It may promote heart and brain health as well. In addition, it may help manage diabetes and weight loss. Nevertheless, excess use may cause side effects. If you experience any such effects, limit its use and seek medical advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is breadfruit healthier than potatoes?
Can I eat breadfruit raw?
Yes. You can eat breadfruit raw when it is ripe or cook it when it is unripe.
Is breadfruit good for the liver?
Maybe. While breadfruit leaves are packed with beneficial compounds that protect liver cells, evidence that breadfruit pulp also has similar properties is lacking (12).
Is breadfruit acidic or alkaline?
Breadfruit is alkaline.
Does breadfruit cause gas?
Maybe. While anecdotal evidence suggests that breadfruit may cause gas, scientific evidence supporting this claim is lacking.
Is breadfruit anti-inflammatory?
Yes. Breadfruit is packed with flavonoids that have potent anti-inflammatory properties (13).