Hyaluronic acid is the hottest skin care trend that’s doing the rounds of the beauty industry right now. Right from serums to night creams, this magic ingredient is everywhere! And it is one ingredient that beauty bloggers and skin care fanatics swear by. What is it, and what does it do to your skin? Aren’t “acids” suppose to be bad for the skin? I know there’s much clarity required on this topic, and that’s what this article is all about. You will find all the answers to your whats, hows, and whys here. Read on.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
- Hyaluronic Acid: Benefits For Skin
- Ways To Include Hyaluronic Acid In Your Skin Care Routine
- Best Hyaluronic Acid Products You Can Get
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a substance that your body produces naturally. It is also known as hyaluronan and is mostly found in your joints and the fluids in your eyes. It acts as a lubricating agent in your body. Moreover, this acid can retain water in the skin (1).
This acid is now a key part of many anti-aging and skin care products. It is used for moisturizing the skin, and you will find hyaluronic acid in serums, creams, and lotions.
So, what exactly are its benefits? Let’s check them out.
Hyaluronic Acid: Benefits For Skin
1. It Keeps The Skin Hydrated
The application of hyaluronic acid can make your skin appear hydrated and dewy. This is because it can retain water molecules in your skin. Loss of moisture is a key factor that causes skin aging (2). As the cells and tissues lose moisture, they become dry and tend to sag. Hyaluronic acid helps in preventing water loss and diminishes the signs of aging.
2. It Decreases The Appearance Of Wrinkles
A 2014 study published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology concluded that products containing hyaluronic acid decreased the appearance of wrinkles and reduced skin sagging (3).
3. It Improves Skin Elasticity
A study published in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology explored the efficacy of nano-hyaluronic acid in maintaining skin elasticity and skin hydration levels. It found that the nano-hyaluronic acid increased the skin hydration levels by 96% and the firmness and elasticity of the skin by 55% (4).
Usually, when using beauty products and treatments, the application matters. You have to consider whether it can be layered with other products or applied alone. Also, the time of the day you are using it is important. Though there is no exact rule for applying the acid, there are some ways that work best. Here is how you can try including the acid in your beauty regimen.
Ways To Include Hyaluronic Acid In Your Skin Care Routine
- Mix it with your daily moisturizer: Add hyaluronic acid to your moisturizer. You will get the benefits of both the product and the acid.
- Apply it just after your shower: Apply hyaluronic acid just after you have showered or washed your face. Apply it directly on the damp skin. You can use it as a base for your makeup. And in case you want an additional layer of protection, apply moisturizer before putting on makeup.
- As your daily serum: You can also use hyaluronic acid as your daily night serum. Apply it, leave it on overnight, and wake up with baby soft skin.
Here is a list of products that must find a place in your beauty kit.
Best Hyaluronic Acid Products You Can Get
1. L’Oreal Paris Hydra Genius Face Moisturizer
Whether your skin is oily or dry, it needs proper hydration to look youthful. And this product claims to provide intense hydration for at least 72 hours. This lightweight face moisturizer contains aloe vera and hyaluronic acid that deliver a matte finish.
Buy it here.
2. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel Cream
The non-comedogenic formula of the gel provides rapid and intense hydration to your skin, keeping it soft and supple and restoring its natural moisture levels. The best part is, it is fragrance, oil, and dye free. This is best for you if you are looking for a gel-based formula instead of a moisturizer.
Buy it here.
3. Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Hydration Gel
This formula contains sodium hyaluronate, which has the same effect as hyaluronic acid on your skin. This brand takes pride in making products using ingredients that are non-toxic and safe for your skin.
Buy it here.
4. Clarins Hydra-Essentiel intensive Moisture Quenching Bi-phase Serum
This bi-phase serum contains kalanchoe extract along with hyaluronic acid, and both are intensely hydrating agents. It revives even the most parched skin.
Buy it here.
5. Kate Somerville Wrinkle Warrior
In case you are looking at treating your wrinkles along with dry skin, this product is a wise option. You can skip using any other moisturizer or cream when you are using this. The hyaluronic acid not only hydrates your skin but also targets different types of wrinkles. This serum contains an anti-aging formula that penetrates your skin and minimizes fine lines, leaving it refreshed.
Buy it here.
6. Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench
This product feels exceptionally gentle on your skin. It is extremely lightweight and non-greasy. The serum contains coconut oil, sodium PCA, and hyaluronic acid that moisturize the skin and emulsify oil and dirt.
Buy it here.
The skin care industry is always abuzz with ingredients with fancy names. Hyaluronic acid is not a skin care fad that’s going to fade pretty soon. This magical ingredient is backed by science and can transform your skin. Try it out and share your experience in the comments section below.
- 10 Best Supplements For Glowing Skin
- Azelaic Acid For Skin – Everything You Need To Know
- 12 Best Skin Tightening Creams for 2018 in India
- 10 Amazing Benefits Of Alpha Hydroxy Acid For Your Skin
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Does A Vegan Diet Benefit Your Skin? - March 12, 2019
- 10 Best Essential Oils For Wrinkles – Anti-Aging Oils For Younger-Looking Skin - March 6, 2019
- What Is Your Fitzpatrick Skin Type? - February 27, 2019
- Crepey Skin: What It Is, Causes, And Treatments - February 25, 2019
- How To Get Wax Off Your Skin – 6 Quick And Easy Ways To Do It - February 25, 2019