Ozone treatment for hair is extremely popular and helps prevent hair loss and maintain overall hair health. Trioxygen or Ozone(O3) is an inorganic substance. It is a blue-colored, pungent-smelling gas and a highly unstable allotrope of oxygen. It exists naturally in the atmosphere encircling the globe as a protective covering that collects and prevents harmful solar radiation from reaching the earth’s surroundings.
This gas can be collected from the air, created artificially using chemicals, or synthesized in a lab. Ozone protects people from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. It is also essential for the planet’s survival and has several industrial, commercial, agricultural, pharmaceutical, and treatment uses across the globe (1).
Ozone is used to manufacture sanitizers, disinfectants, insecticides, fabric care items, water bottles, halogens, air filters, and medical products. It is also used for beauty benefits like ozone therapy and spa treatments.
Ozone therapy is an alternative medical treatment that is used to treat certain medical conditions like diabetes, heart ailments, slip disc in the spine, eye problems, Parkinson disease, dental cavities, skin and hair problems, and even cancer (2).
This therapy is hugely popular in Europe and is based on the fundamental property of instability of the ozone molecule containing three oxygen atoms and the resultant high oxidation capacity. It basically involves injecting of ozone into the body after blending it with other liquids and gases.
[ Read: Hair care ]
Ozone Treatment for Hair and Scalp
- Ozone therapy for hair has widely been acknowledged for its effectiveness in treating hair and scalp problems like dandruff, hair fall, hair thinning and hair damage (3). These hair problems are mainly caused due to factors like ageing, hormonal imbalance, poor hair care, unhealthy diet, illnesses and infections, genetic traits, pollution and other external factors, which generally dehydrate or infect the scalp to further weaken and damage the hair follicles.
- Ozone with its unstable molecule containing three oxygen atoms has high oxidising properties and releases free oxygen radicals on being injected in any part of the body like the scalp.
- The scalp and hair on being infused with ozone get oxidised leading to the formation of peptones on the hair shaft located in the middle of the strands.
- A protective layer, like the ozone layer guarding the earth’s atmosphere, is formed over each hair strand by peptones that safe guard the hair from breakage, damage and fall. This treatment is provided with the help of machines, combs, ozone creams etc in salons, spas, clinics and by dermatologists.
Benefits of Ozone Hair Treatment:
- On coming in contact with the roots of the hair strands, ozone rejuvenates and fortifies the hair follicles to strengthen and nourish the hair and scalp. This therapy improves blood circulation and eliminates any microbial infection present in the scalp and hair.
- O3 therapy not only treats problems or hair breakage, thinning and loss but it also helps to treat other graver issues like psoriasis, seborrhoic dermatitis, balding and alopecia.
- It adds volume and density to the hair, repairs and reconstructs the strands like treating and eliminating the problem of split ends, controls frizz to make hair manageable.
- It stabilizes the scalp and treats dandruff issues, aids in regeneration of new hair, promotes hair growth and thus helps to create smooth, soft, radiant and beautiful tresses.
- Ozone is good for colour treated hair as the peptones strengthen the bonds between the hair strands and colour dye to protect the hair colour, make it last longer while adding luster to the locks.
- Ozone can have highly toxic and damaging effects on the body if injected in excess quantities.
- Small and regulated amount of ozone is sufficient for the therapy and O3 therapy should preferably be conducted on the advice and guidance of a dermatologist or healthcare practitioner while primarily keeping in mind the health condition of the person opting for the treatment like this therapy is not advisable for pregnant and breast feeding women, people with severe skin allergies etc.
The effectiveness of ozone treatment for hair quickly gained recognition worldwide. It prevents hair loss and maintains the overall health of the hair. Although the ozone treatment for hair is useful in treating scalp and hair problems, it might have adverse effects if used in excess. Therefore, this treatment should only be attempted with the help of a professional. An experienced and competent dermatologist should be consulted, and the treatment should only be followed up on prior recommendations. The good news is that if you receive approval for this treatment, it will be a one-time investment of both time and money. The treatment is highly successful and addresses a wide range of difficulties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does ozone regrow hair?
Yes. Ozone therapy reduces hair fall and stimulates hair growth. If you don’t notice any hair growth where hair loss has occurred, please consult a trichologist as it might be an underlying medical condition causing the hair loss.
Does oxygen therapy work for hair loss?
Oxygen therapy is an alternative to ozone therapy. It can be used to treat hair loss conditions effectively (4).
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Ozone therapy A clinical review
- Ozone therapy an overview of pharmacodynamics current research and clinical utility
- Fundamentals of the Use of Ozone Therapy in the Treatment of Aesthetic Disorders A Review
- Potential Applications Of Topical Oxygen Therapy In Dermatology