PanAway is a blend of four essential oils with a refreshing and invigorating aroma. This blend gives a cooling sensation when applied to the skin and helps people cope with various types of aches and pains.
This essential oil possesses anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial, and stimulating properties. These may help relieve chronic pain, eliminate headache, reduce inflammation, and promote digestion.
In this article, we have discussed the health benefits of PanAway essential oil in detail, along with its potential side effects. Read on for more information.
Table Of Contents
What Is PanAway Oil Made Of?
Four distinct essential oils are used to make PanAway essential oil. These include:
- Wintergreen Essential Oil
Wintergreen essential oil is extracted from the creeping shrub leaves and contains methyl salicylate. The minty and sweet aroma of this oil can stimulate one’s senses. This oil acts as an analgesic and astringent and soothes arthritis and low back pain (1).
- Clove Essential Oil
It is extracted from clove trees and has a strong and spicy aroma. Clove essential oil has proven antioxidant properties and has been used for centuries to treat many ailments. It is also said to possess antimicrobial, antifungal, anesthetic, and stimulating properties. The oil may help treat stress, asthma, skin issues, and headache (2), (3).
- Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is derived from a plant from the sunflower family. It is commonly used in aromatherapy and is said to possess anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antifungal properties. It benefits the nervous system and skin and has other restorative properties (4), (5).
- Peppermint Essential Oil
It is sourced from the leaves of the peppermint plant. This essential oil is known for its digestive efficiency. Peppermint essential oil also helps treat respiratory problems (like the common cold) and headaches and is used as a dietary supplement for treating irritable bowel syndrome (6), (7), (8).
Now that you know the important ingredients in PanAway essential oil, let’s check out its health benefits.
What Are The Benefits Of PanAway Essential Oil?
PanAway essential oil is highly beneficial for people with chronic pain, headache, inflammatory conditions, digestive problems, and anxiety disorders. These benefits are discussed in detail below.
1. May Relieve Chronic Pain
The ingredients in PanAway essential oil may help relieve chronic pain. Clove oil is one of the key oils in this essential oil that is said to possess an analgesic effect (9). This essential oil blend may help relieve pain in the joints and legs. It may also be effective in relieving back pain.
2. May Help Treat Headaches
The aromatic compounds in PanAway essential oil may stimulate the brain’s limbic system, reduce stress hormone levels, lower blood pressure, and offer relaxation. Some research shows that the oil has the ability to eliminate tension-type headaches (10).
Another study conducted by the University of Kiel found that essential oil preparations, such as peppermint and eucalyptus oils, often may help treat headaches (11).
3. May Fight Inflammation
The blend of essential oils of clove and peppermint is said to possess anti-inflammatory properties (12). These may promote blood flow and oxygenate tissues, which, in turn, reduces inflammation. However, more research is required to understand this benefit of PanAway essential oil.
4. May Promote Digestion
Essential oils are traditionally used to treat digestive system disorders (13). Peppermint oil, one of the key oils in PanAway oil, has been used for centuries to treat digestive disorders. This oil is also used in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (14).
5. May Boost Immunity
PanAway essential oil may help boost immunity. It contains clove oil, which has antiseptic and antibacterial effects. These may help boost immunity and fight against certain pathogens (15). Also, other antioxidant properties of this essential oil may stimulate the production of white blood cells (WBCs) and lower the risk of chronic diseases. However, more research is needed in this regard.
6. May Reduce Anxiety Levels
Essential oils, in general, are well known for reducing anxiety in patients. One study states the same using aromatherapy with rose water (16). Another study states that essential oils can work as therapeutic agents, and lavender essential oil could ease anxiety (17).
There is no direct research stating that PanAway oil can reduce anxiety. However, since it is made of potent essential oils, there is a possibility. The oil may reduce anxiety and help in depression treatment.
7. May Reduce Menstrual Cramps
PanAway essential oil may help reduce menstrual cramps. The peppermint oil in PanAway is said to possess antispasmodic effects that may reduce cramps.
Now that you know about the health benefits of PanAway essential oil, let us see its other uses.
Uses Of PanAway Essential Oil
PanAway essential oil has a number of uses, including medicinal, cosmetic, and topical applications.
- Massage Oil: PanAway essential oil is often added to other oils and used as a massage oil. The mixture may help relieve cramps and muscle spasms.
- Room Cleanser: This essential oil can keep your room clean with its antiseptic, antibacterial, and refreshing properties. You can use it in a diffuser. It can cleanse all airborne pathogens and other substances and keep surfaces clean.
- Deodorizer: The refreshing aroma of the essential oils in PanAway, such as that of peppermint and wintergreen, may eliminate bad odors. This essential oil is also good for personal hygiene and can give you a refreshed feel.
- Meditation: The relaxant properties of this essential oil blend can give you the optimal environment for meditation.
- Bath Oil: This refreshing oil is also used in cosmetic products. You can add this oil directly to your bath for soothing muscle pains and rejuvenating skin.
In the following section, we will look at how you can use the essential oil.
How To Use PanAway Essential Oil
This specially formulated blend of essential oils should be used in a diluted form. Mix it with a suitable carrier oil (like tea tree oil). The ratio can be 1:1. You may apply this mixture:
- Directly to the injured muscles and skin
- On the forehead and neck regions
- On the back region for potentially relieving pain
- For inhaling, using cotton balls
The application of PanAway essential oil offers a warm, comforting sensation to tired muscles and soothes the skin. It can be especially comforting to people with chronic pain and sports-related injuries. You will be able to find relief from several types of pain and physical conditions when you use PanAway essential oil.
Though PanAway essential oil is generally safe for use, it does have a few side effects that you need to keep in mind. Check them out in the next section.
Side Effects Of Panaway Essential Oil
Ingesting PanAway essential oil is not recommended as it may cause some adverse effects, including an upset stomach. The topical application of the oil may lead to skin inflammation in some individuals. People may also be allergic to certain ingredients in the essential oil. Hence, consult a healthcare provider before using this oil. Avoid using PanAway if you observe any side effects. Though there are no studies to support the side effects of PanAway, the following effects have been recorded by anecdotal evidence.
- May Cause Issues During Pregnancy
This essential oil is a blend of other oils. There is no research if this could be safe for pregnant women. Hence, consult a healthcare provider before using this essential oil.
- May Cause Skin Inflammation
Essential oils are a mix of volatile acids and active ingredients. Excessive application of this oil may cause inflammation on the skin. Hence, use this oil in moderate amounts and consult a doctor in case of any emergency.
- May Lead to Fatigue
Excess usage (inhalation) of this essential oil may lead to fatigue. It may cause insomnia when used in higher quantities. Hence, limit its usage. Dilute and use it. Stop use if you experience adverse effects.
PanAway is a topical essential oil with several health benefits. It is a blend of four oils that are well known for their anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and pain-relieving properties.
PanAway essential oil may help relieve chronic pain, eliminate headaches, reduce inflammatory conditions, and promote digestion. However, it may cause some side effects when used in excessive amounts. Hence, limit its usage and consult a doctor in case of any emergency.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Why is PanAway oil so expensive?
PanAway oil is expensive due to the presence of helichrysum, an essential oil. Helichrysum is expensive because of its low yield.
How many drops of PanAway oil should you dilute with a carrier oil?
You can dilute one drop of the essential oil with six drops of carrier oil.
Why does Panaway have a childproof cap?
PanAway essential oil has a childproof cap due to the presence of methyl salicylate. It is a key constituent in wintergreen oil. High amounts of methyl salicylate may cause swelling, pain, and severe burning (20). Hence, it has a childproof cap.
- Hebert, Patricia R et al. “Treatment of low back pain: the potential clinical and public health benefits of topical herbal remedies.” Journal of alternative and complementary medicine (New York, N.Y.) vol. 20,4 (2014): 219-20.
- Nuñez, L, and M D’ Aquino. “Microbicide activity of clove essential oil (Eugenia caryophyllata).” Brazilian journal of microbiology : [publication of the Brazilian Society for Microbiology] vol. 43,4 (2012): 1255-60.
- Han X, Parker TL. Anti-inflammatory activity of clove (Eugenia caryophyllata) essential oil in human dermal fibroblasts. Pharm Biol. 2017;55(1):1619–1622.
- Juliano, Claudia et al. “Antimicrobial activity and chemical composition of essential oil from Helichrysum microphyllum Cambess. Subsp. Tyrrhenicum Bacch., Brullo & Giusso collected in South-West Sardinia.” Saudi journal of biological sciences vol. 26,5 (2019): 897-905.
- Leonardi M, Ambryszewska KE, Melai B, et al. Essential-oil composition of Helichrysum italicum (ROTH) G.DON ssp. italicum from Elba Island (Tuscany, Italy). Chem Biodivers. 2013;10(3):343–355.
- Göbel H, Schmidt G, Dworschak M, Stolze H, Heuss D. Essential plant oils and headache mechanisms. Phytomedicine. 1995;2(2):93–102.
- Meamarbashi, Abbas. “Instant effects of peppermint essential oil on the physiological parameters and exercise performance.” Avicenna journal of phytomedicine vol. 4,1 (2014): 72-8.
- Alammar, N et al. “The impact of peppermint oil on the irritable bowel syndrome: a meta-analysis of the pooled clinical data.” BMC complementary and alternative medicine vol. 19,1 21.
- Kamkar Asl, Mina et al. “Analgesic effect of the aqueous and ethanolic extracts of clove.” Avicenna journal of phytomedicine vol. 3,2 (2013): 186-92.
- Göbel H, Heinze A, Heinze-Kuhn K, Göbel A, Göbel C. Oleum menthae piperitae (Pfefferminzöl) in der Akuttherapie des Kopfschmerzes vom Spannungstyp [Peppermint oil in the acute treatment of tension-type headache]. Schmerz. 2016;30(3):295–310.
- Göbel H, Schmidt G, Soyka D. Effect of peppermint and eucalyptus oil preparations on neurophysiological and experimental algesimetric headache parameters. Cephalalgia. 1994;14(3):228–182.
- Elshafie, Hazem S, and Ippolito Camele. “An Overview of the Biological Effects of Some Mediterranean Essential Oils on Human Health.” BioMed research international vol. 2017 (2017): 9268468.
- Firenzuoli, Fabio et al. “Essential oils: new perspectives in human health and wellness.” Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM vol. 2014 (2014): 467363.
- Cash, Brooks D et al. “A Novel Delivery System of Peppermint Oil Is an Effective Therapy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Symptoms.” Digestive diseases and sciences vol. 61,2 (2016): 560-71.
- Rhayour, Khadija, et al. “The mechanism of bactericidal action of oregano and clove essential oils and of their phenolic major components on Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis.” Journal of essential oil research 15.5 (2003): 356-362.
- Barati, Farzaneh et al. “The Effect of Aromatherapy on Anxiety in Patients.” Nephro-urology monthly vol. 8,5 e38347. 31 Jul. 2016.
- Dagli, Namrata et al. “Essential oils, their therapeutic properties, and implication in dentistry: A review.” Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry vol. 5,5 (2015): 335-40.
- de Sousa AA, Soares PM, de Almeida AN, Maia AR, de Souza EP, Assreuy AM. Antispasmodic effect of Mentha piperita essential oil on tracheal smooth muscle of rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2010;130(2):433–436.
- Grigoleit, H-G., and P. Grigoleit. “Pharmacology and preclinical pharmacokinetics of peppermint oil.” Phytomedicine 12.8 (2005): 612-616.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem Database. Methyl salicylate, CID=4133, https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Methyl-salicylate (accessed on Apr. 9, 2020)
Latest posts by Sindhu Koganti (see all)
- 51 Good Morning Messages For Her In A Long-Distance Relationship - May 12, 2021
- Foods High In Copper: Why You Should Include Them In Your Diet - May 10, 2021
- Living Apart Together (LAT): An Emerging Living Arrangement - May 4, 2021
- 16 Sweet Things To Say To Your Husband - April 26, 2021
- Itchy Scalp And Hair Loss: Causes And How To Treat - April 22, 2021