Passion fruit, also known as purple granadilla, is an egg shaped fruit with wrinkle skin and green pulp-like flesh. This fruit is widely grown in tropical and sub-tropical countries (1). Due to its distinct aroma and sweet taste, it is primarily used for juicing. This juice is also frequently added to other fruit drinks, ice-creams, cakes, sodas etc to impart flavour. Besides cooling the body in summers, passion fruit juice has several health benefits as it is highly nutritious.
While purple passion fruit is high in vitamin C, riboflavin, vitamin B2 and copper; yellow passion fruit generally has a higher nutritional value and contains alpha-carotene. Yellow passion fruits are normally used for juice processing. Passion fruit juice has a bright yellow or orange colour and a strong exotic flavour (2).
How To make Passion Fruit Juice?
This is one of the easiest and tastiest juices with excellent cooling effect. Before proceeding to extract the juice, ensure that you wash the passion fruit properly because sometimes its skin is covered with edible wax to prevent moisture loss. This delicious refreshing drink can be prepared within 15-20 minutes by following the given steps.
- Take 5 or 6 ripe yellow passion fruits. Make sure that they are crinkly but not rotten.
- Cut the fruit lengthwise and use the tip of the spoon to scoop out the flesh and place it in the blender.
- Add thrice the amount of water and run the blender for a minute so that the black seeds get separated from the jelly. The mixture should not be over blended otherwise the seeds might break up.
- Now filter the mixture into a jug through a sieve to separate the seeds and squeeze every drop.
- Again add thrice the amount of cold water and sugar or sugar substitute to taste. You can taste the juice to find out if more water needs to be added.
- Pour the juice through a funnel into a jug or a bottle and cool. 5 passion fruits can be used for making around 2 ½ liters of juice.
- Enjoy this juice with ice or with a cocktail. This juice can last for 5 days when stored in a refrigerator.
- This juice can be made even without a blender by sieving the fruit with a fork into a jug.
- Sometimes, while storing, the juice and water might separate. In that case just shake the bottle or stir the juice to mix it again.
Passion Fruit Juice Benefits For Health:
Since the passion fruit is rich in vitamins and other vital nutrients, there are several health benefits of drinking passion fruit juice. A cup of raw passion fruit juice provides around 1771 IU of vitamin A and 1035 mcg beta carotene whereas raw yellow passion fruit juice contains 2329 IU of vitamin A and 1297 mcg of beta carotene. Some of the health benefits of passion fruit juice are as follows.
1. A glass of passion fruit juice acts as an excellent coolant. Due to its refreshing cool taste, it can cure burning sensation in the stomach. It helps relax your nerves and mind, making you feel calm (3).
2. Passion fruit juice is a laxative food which aids bowel action. It is beneficial in digestive problems (4) and for those suffering from constipation. It is an excellent remedy for the treatment of hyperacidity, gastric and duodenal ulcers when taken in doses of 4 to 6 ounces every 2 hours.
3. Passion fruit juice contains alkaloids which have blood pressure lowering, sedative and antispasmodic action (5).
4. Passion fruit juice is rich in beta carotene which is responsible for the yellow and purple colour of passion fruits. It is also called pro-vitamin A as it is converted to vitamin A in the liver. Being an antioxidant, it helps prevent cancer, heart disease and high blood pressure (6).
5. Beta carotene contained in it promotes bone and tooth development, repairs body tissues and benefits the eyes besides reducing the risk of arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, infertility and depression. Moreover, beta-carotene is a non-toxic form of vitamin A as excess of vitamin A can be toxic (7).
6. Passion fruit is rich in vitamin B2, vitamin B6, folate and choline. Drinking passion fruit juice is beneficial as these B vitamins support the mucus membranes in the digestive tract as well as mental health and brain function. Apart from this, they lower cholesterol level and improve circulation.
7. Passion fruit juice has a calming effect on the nervous and hence is beneficial for insomnia patients. A glass of passion fruit juice before going to bed can facilitate peaceful sleep (8).
8. Being extremely nutritious and healthy, this juice can soothe asthma attacks. It contains vitamin C which helps in blocking histamine that causes asthma symptoms (9).
9. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps the body prevent and fight against diseases and infections. It also speeds up wound healing by facilitating the repair of tissues.
10. It also contains the mineral potassium in abundance (10). Potassium is vital for the proper functioning of the kidneys and muscle contractions and particularly beneficial for smokers, vegetarians and athletes.
11. Passion fruit juice can aid in weight loss as fruit is low in calories (97 calories per 100 g), sodium and fat. Moreover, it is rich in carbohydrates and natural sugars which enable the human body to recover quickly from a workout as the energy levels are replenished. It also lowers the cholesterol levels.
[ Read: Benefits of Jack fruit ]
Passion Fruit Juice Benefits For Skin:
This nutritious refreshing drink can be beneficial for the skin in many ways as it is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and other nutrients vital to skin health.
12. Vitamin A, particularly beta carotene contained in this fruit juice is required for healthy skin, cell growth and reproduction (11).
13. Vitamin C is an antioxidant (12) that provides protection against free radical damage, thus preventing pre-mature aging and keeping your immune system strong.
[ Read: Mosambi Juice ]
Hair Benefits Of Passion Fruit Juice:
14. Maintenance of healthy hair depends upon the delivery of oxygen and essential nutrients from the circulatory system to the hair follicles. Healthy hair are directly associated with a healthy body and hair problems are a result of nutritional deficiencies or prolonged illness.
15. As stated earlier, passion fruit is rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B2, vitamin B6 and minerals like copper and potassium which support healthy hair. Thus, drinking passion fruit juice can be beneficial for your hair and help in warding off hair problems.
Hope this article on passion fruit juice benefits has given you all the information you need! Do leave us a comment
- 16 Amazing Benefits Of Passion Fruit (Amlaphala) For Skin, Hair And Health
- 13 Amazing Benefits Of Jackfruit (Kathal)
- 13 Amazing Benefits Of Star Fruit (Kamrakh) For Skin, Hair And Health
- 27 Amazing Benefits Of Dragon Fruit For Skin, Hair, And Health