The 5 Best Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) Skincare Products – 2023
Say goodbye to acne and its marks with these expertly formulated vitamin B5 products.
Vitamin B5 or Provitamin B5 is highly likely to make it to the ingredients list of any skin or hair care products. So, are you curious to know the benefits of vitamin B5 for the skin? Then, brace yourself; the list is quite long. Many products center around this essential vitamin, thanks to its moisturizing and rejuvenating properties. Also, this wonder vitamin (pantothenic acid) is an ideal solution for many skin problems like dryness, redness, and itchiness. Keep reading to know more.
In This Article
What Is Pantothenic Acid Or Vitamin B5?
Vitamin B5 is a water-soluble vitamin and is mainly found in plant- and animal-based foods, such as eggs, meat, vegetables, legumes, cereals, and milk. It is one of the B-complex vitamins, which regulate multiple physiological processes inside your body and are considered the building blocks of your overall health.
Vitamin B5 is commercially available as pantothenic acid, which is a chemical prepared in laboratories. Pantothenic acid is widely used in skin and hair care products and also in medicines and supplements for oral consumption.
Provitamin B5 (or panthenol) is the alcohol form of vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid.
Your body needs vitamin B5 to
- Maintain proper functioning of your liver and the nervous system
- Keep your digestive tract working properly
- Produce red blood cells (RBCs) to supply oxygen throughout your body
- Maintain healthy skin, eyes, and hair
You can easily maintain a supply of vitamin B5 by following a balanced diet that includes:
- Fish and seafood (such as salmon and lobster)
- Meat (such as beef, chicken, and turkey)
- Dairy products (such as yogurt, milk, and milk products)Legumes (such as soybeans and split peas)
- Grains (especially whole grains)
- Vegetables (such as broccoli, avocado, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, corn, and sweet potatoes)
Panthothenic acid or vitamin B5 is listed in skin care products under the names d-panthenol (Provitamin B5), dexpanthenol, and dl-panthenol.
Pantothenic acid helps to maintain the skin’s quality by rejuvenating and soothing it. Let’s understand what it does to your skin in detail.
Skin Benefits Of Pantothenic Acid Or Vitamin B5
1. It Keeps Your Skin Moisturized
Applying vitamin B5 prevents water loss from your skin and helps in retaining moisture. This, in turn, prevents dry skin, flakiness, and itchiness and maintains softness and elasticity of your skin (1). It also helps to maintain the skin barrier function (2). This property of vitamin B5 is beneficial in healing atopic dermatitis (3).
2. It Prevents Skin Redness And Inflammation
Dexpanthenol has an anti-inflammatory effect on your skin. When applied topically, it protects your skin from erythema or redness caused by UV exposure (1).
A study found that dexpanthenol minimized skin roughness and inflammation caused by SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate), an ingredient commonly found in skin and hair care products (4).
Another study also found that it could help in managing skin irritation and napkin dermatitis or diaper rash (3).
3. It Can Heal Wounds
Applying pantothenic acid can heal wounds and make scars less visible (1). This is because pantothenic acid boosts the development of structural proteins (such as collagen) that your skin needs.
4. It Is An Effective Antioxidant
Provitamin B5 or d-panthenol boosts the production of glutathione in your skin. This component binds the free radicals and peroxides, which, in turn, reduces the formation of melanin and minimizes the appearance of dark spots on your face (5).
5. It Has Anti-Aging Effects
Pantothenic acid or Provitamin B5 helps in the production of fibroblasts in the middle layer of your skin (the layer where wrinkles form) and boosts collagen, glycan, and elastin production, which makes your skin appear youthful (5).
Impressive, right? Bet you can’t wait to use it on your skin and see the magic! Here is a list of vitamin B5 products that you may try.
- 1 Best Hydrating The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 The Ordinary $12.13 ON AMAZON Read More › $12.13 ON AMAZON
- 2 Best Non-Irritating Skin 90210 Hydrating Panthenol Cleanser Skin 90210 $22.0 ON AMAZON Read More › $22.0 ON AMAZON
- 3 Best Alcohol-free LâOreal Paris HydraFresh Toner LâOreal Paris HydraFresh Toner L'oreal Paris PRICE ON AMAZON Read More › PRICE ON AMAZON
- 4 Best Dermatologist-Tested Nivea Body Lotion With Provitamin B5 $5.49 ON AMAZON Read More › $5.49 ON AMAZON
Best Skin Care Products With Vitamin B5 Or Pantothenic Acid
Best Hydrating:The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5
This is a powerful blend of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5 that enhances the hydration levels of your skin. It makes your skin soft and supple and improves its texture. Here’s a personal review video to help you get a better understanding of the product.
- A little bit goes a long way
- Does not come with a safety seal
Best Non-Irritating:Skin 90210 Hydrating Panthenol Cleanser
This soap-free cleanser soothes and hydrates your skin. It contains panthenol and allantoin that prevent moisture loss and remove dead skin cells and dirt without irritating the skin.
- Suitable for dry, sensitive, and normal skin
3. Best For All Skin Types:Timeless B5 Hydration Serum
Timeless B5 Hydration Serum works wonderfully to cleanse, moisturize, and repair your damaged skin. It is enriched with vitamin B5, which gives a calming effect on the skin. The serum also contains hyaluronic acid that helps to retain moisture for longer periods and ot plump the skin. It helps to conceal the common aging signs such as wrinkles, fine lines, dullness, and dark circles. It is lightweight, oil-free, and does not clog the pores. The breathable formula improves the glow and softness on your face. The lotion also soothes common skin issues such as dryness, breakouts, redness, and allergy. It does not have an overpowering fragrance and is suitable for all skin types.
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Fast absorbing
- Smoothes skin texture
- Soothes the skin
- Stimulates skin healing
- Minimizes scarring
Best Alcohol-free:LâOreal Paris HydraFresh Toner
If you are aiming for soft, smooth, and hydrated skin, you must try the L’Oreal Paris HydraFresh Toner. The toner is gentle on the skin but truly effective in removing stubborn dirt and impurities from the pores. It is loaded with beneficial ingredients such as pro-vitamin B5 that keeps the skin hydrated for a long time. It also contains beta hydroxy acid, which increases the glow of your skin. It is easy to apply and fast absorbing. It can be used daily and without any unwanted side effects. It is also free from any overpowering fragrance and gives a calming effect when applied.
- Refreshes skin tone
- Brightens complexion
- Non-drying formula
- Increases skin hydration
- Improves skin elasticity
- Suits all skin types
Best Dermatologist-Tested:Nivea Body Lotion With Provitamin B5
This body lotion is specially formulated for very dry and rough skin. It provides intense hydration and claims to soothe your skin after just one application. It is dermatologically tested. Need more information on the lotion? Watch this video.
- Suitable for dry skin
- Long-lasting moisture
- Pump dispenser
- Ideal for daily use
- Overpowering fragrance
Incorporate vitamin B5 into your daily skin care routine, and you will be amazed by the results. Try any of these products and don’t forget to share the results with us in the comments section below.
Infographic: Buying Guide On Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5) Skin Care Products
Choosing pantothenic acid skin care products can be a hassle if you are not aware of how to look for the right ones. The infographic below keeps you informed about the various points that you need to keep in mind while selecting vitamin B5 products. It also discusses the skin types that benefit the most from pantothenic acid. Scroll down and check it out!
Vitamin B5, also known as pantothenic acid, aids in the maintenance of smooth, silky, and healthy skin. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect, which can aid in your skin’s healing. In addition, it is deeply nourishing and absorbs moisture from the air to keep your skin hydrated. Small amounts of vitamin B5 can be present in most food items, but you would have to eat a lot to experience any benefit. Therefore, look for vitamin B5 in your skin care products. So, why wait any longer? Incorporate the benefits of provitamin B5 into your daily routine to keep your skin supple, soft, and beautiful!
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Shiboli Chakraborti, the author of this article, is a certified skin care coach. She loves experimenting with skin care products made of active ingredients. So, she conducted deep research by browsing online and reading various reviews to provide you with the best night creams for acne-prone skin. These night creams are non-greasy, blend well on the skin, and help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is panthenol comedogenic?
No, panthenol is non-comedogenic. This means it does not clog pores and is safe for acne-prone and oily skin.
Which skin types are best suited to vitamin B5?
Vitamin B5 is suitable for every skin type. However, it particularly works wonders on dry and acne-prone skin.
Which skin types should avoid vitamin B5?
There are no particular skin types that need to avoid using vitamin B5.
Is vitamin B5 the same as hyaluronic acid?
No. While hyaluronic acid only tends to hydrate the skin, vitamin B5 hydrates (infuses your cells with water and increases the skin’s ability to absorb nutrients) as well as moisturizes (locks in moisture to improve your skin’s natural texture and barrier) the skin. The two work wonders for your skin if used together.
How does pantothenic treat acne?
Pantothenic acid repairs your skin’s moisture barrier while keeping harmful toxins away. Being non-comedogenic, it does not clog pores and reduces the appearance of large spots and pores.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) is a wonder vitamin with many skin rejuvenating and moisturizing properties.
- This vitamin is an effective antioxidant that can help heal wounds and prevent redness and skin inflammation.
- Vitamin B5 also boosts collagen and elastin production to keep your skin looking younger.
- “Topical use of dexpanthenol is skin disorders.” American Journal of Dermatology.
- “Effect of topically applied dexpanthenol..” Arzneimittel-Forschung, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Topical use of dexpanthenol: A 70th Anniversary Article” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, Taylor & Francis Online.
- “Dexpanthenol enhances skin barrier repair..” The Journal of Dermatological Treatment.
- “Comparison of Anti-Aging Effect..” International Journal of PharmTech Research.
- What Is Skin’s pH Level And How To Maintain It?
- Benefits Of Gold For Skin Care
- Amazing Skin Care Tips To Look Young