Who isn’t familiar with the awful pain of sore feet? Long hours at work and our uber-hectic urban lifestyles put an insane amount of pressure on our feet and legs. At the end of the day, all I can think of is unwinding at a spa with the most luxurious massage on the cards. Then reality hits, and I realize that that particular daydream will have to wait until I win the lottery.
However, did you know that you could use leg massagers for the same amount of comfort, without breaking the bank? That’s right, sore feet can be a thing of the past once you bring home an air compression leg massager. Read on to know more!
What Is An Air Compression Leg Massager?
An air compression leg massager helps stimulate blood and lymphatic circulation in your legs by applying pressure to them. The device can help alleviate conditions where fluid build-up or tension in your lower body is causing you pain. It encourages the flow of blood and relaxes your muscles gradually by applying gentle pressure with the help of air pockets. This causes endorphins to be released, providing you relief from the pain.
What Are The Benefits Of Using An Air Compression Leg Massager?
Leg massagers can help you deal with conditions like:
What this means is that leg massagers have a ton of benefits when it comes to stimulating blood circulation in your lower body. Blood and lymphatic circulation may be hampered for any number of reasons, such as:
- Mobility issues due to pregnancy or paralysis
- Increased physical activity
- A sedentary lifestyle and bad posture
In such situations, you may find your feet and calves aching more at night as your circulatory system struggles to remove blood from the lower body and prevent fluid build-up. Leg massagers stimulate the blood vessels and help ease pain and soreness.
Even if you do not have any medical conditions, air compression can offer a few benefits. For example, limited exercise, ill-fitting clothes, and shoes can contribute to pins and needles, swollen legs, dry and cracked feet, or general stiffness and aching feet. Using an air compression leg massager can be a quick and easy way to get some much-needed relief at the end of a long day.
Let’s now understand how this device works.
How Does An Air Compression Leg Massager Work?
An air compression leg massager is a simple yet effective device. It relieves stress by improving blood circulation. The device wraps around your legs and feet and compresses them like a pair of tight boots. Once you wrap it around your leg, it starts to inflate and deflate rapidly, varying the pressure applied to your muscles on and off.
By squeezing your legs, enough pressure is applied to flush out waste from the cells in your legs and feet. This lets fresh blood enter and nourish those cells with oxygen and nutrients. The pressure also releases endorphins, which act as natural painkillers.
Leg massagers vary in their functions according to the nature of pressure exertion. Some apply consistent pressure, while others have different pressure levels that you can choose and change manually.
Here’s a list of the best air compression leg massagers.
7 Best Air Compression Leg Massagers
Fit King Air Compression Foot and Calf Massager puts the focus on your calves and feet, giving you immediate relief from pain and cramps by improving blood circulation in this region.
Air compression leg wraps in three different places on your legs, giving you the flexibility to use it on differently sized people. The foot wrap ends at 17.5 inches, and the calf wrap at 20. It uses velcro strap fastenings, making it user-friendly for people of all ages and physical abilities.
The massager comes with 2×2 airbags to massage both the feet and calves evenly. It provides even pressure across your lower leg and helps prevent swelling or bruising, especially for those with very sensitive skin.
There are two modes and three different pressure intensities on the Fitking massager, giving you an extensive menu of various massage options. The compressions start at your feet and move upwards, promoting blood and fluid away from your legs.
However, keep in mind that the pressure on this one is quite intense. If all you need is a light massage, keep looking, as even the lightest option on this device feels intense.
- Gentle on sensitive skin
- Easy to use
- Automatic 20-minute shut-off
- Travel bag included
- 10 massage techniques available
- 3 massage intensities
- 2 size extensions
- 24-month warranty
Amzdeal Air Compression Leg Massager is your best bet if you’re looking for a massager that frees you from dependency on electrical sockets to power your device.
The Amzdeal leg compression massager has an integrated battery that gives up to 2 hours of massage once it is fully charged. It is best used while traveling using public transport or during long hours in the office or classes.
A bonus is how quiet this massager is. It allows you to sit back and relax discreetly as there is no wire and very little noise to attract any attention. There are three pressure intensities and two separate modes, allowing you different massages based on your needs.
The pressure increases ever so slightly every 10-15 seconds. It will finally shut off after it has been used for 15 minutes straight. If you want a more extended massage, you need to allow the device to cool down for 5 minutes before you press the reset button.
As for the wrapping style, there’s only one wrap, which works on the calves as well as arms but isn’t suitable for the feet or thighs.
- 18-month warranty
- Rechargeable battery-operated
- 2 modes
- 3 pressure intensities
- Automatic 15-minute shut-off
- Travel-friendly device
- Fully adjustable leg wraps
- Can be used to massage arms as well
- It may be uncomfortable for larger sizes.
InvoSpa Leg Massager comes with a wide adjustable strap that fits any size and intensity easily. It has 3 mode settings that can be customized as per the requirement. The massager auto offs after 15 minutes of usage. The corded design allows consistent power to experience better foot and leg performance.
The handheld controller provides 3 air pressure strength levels, 3 leg compression modes, and 3 full leg massage plans. The massager works with a 12 V power supply. The compression massager is ideal for foot massage, calf massage, thigh massage, improves circulation, relieves fatigue, and swimming legs.
It offers 4 intensity levels – low, medium, medium-high, and high intensity. You can adjust the intensity levels to match the air pressure strength level as per your relaxation needs. The kit comes in an easy-to-use carry bag.
- Adjustable straps
- Extension pads
- Customizable setting
- A bit expensive
calves simultaneously with the help of an easy-to-operate full leg massager device. It helps loosen up stubborn knots and tight muscles for faster recovery and pain relief.
This leg massager offers you three compression intensity levels high, medium, and low and three heating levels. Set the intensity according to your needs and tolerance, choose from four different massage modes, and enjoy a fully customized leg and/or foot massage in the comfort of your home.
The package includes a digital remote with an LCD screen that helps you adjust your therapy settings according to personal preferences. The wraps are made of high-quality, breathable fabric durable enough to last you a long time. ReAthlete also offers a 1-year exclusive guarantee with this leg massager to ensure that your purchase is protected.
- 3 compression levels
- 3 massage modes
- Optional heat massage function for knees
- Handheld remote control
- Easy to operate
- Complimentary travel bag
- 1-year warranty
- Requires a power outlet for use
Cincom Air Compression Leg Massager improves blood circulation, provides the best relief from fatigue, and helps you deal with more troublesome issues, such as restless leg syndrome and leg edema. The massager has 2×2 airbags, which help cover a more substantial portion of your legs.
There are two operational modes and three pressure intensities, and the device gives you a choice between seven massage techniques. It also shuts off automatically after 20 minutes, making it safer to use, especially in case the user falls asleep during the massage.
The handheld controller makes the device accessible and comfortable for young users as well as the elderly. The device comes with a mesh bag, making it easy to store when not in use. The wraps are padded with soft velvet on the inside to keep your skin protected.
- Adjustable leg wraps
- 20-minute automatic shut-off
- 3 pressure intensities
- 2 operational modes
- 7 massage techniques
- 24 months warranty
- May feel too tight for some users
- May seem too loud
- Not very sturdy
Reathlete Leg Massager provides full-leg coverage. This massager loosens the tight muscles, breaks up stubborn knobs, and provides greater relaxation. The leg compression massager is ideal for good circulation and proper blood flow. It is made from breathable fabric and is durable.
The massager is effective in decreasing pain and soreness. The device is equipped with 3 intensities – low, medium, & high, and 4 modes. It also offers knee massage for pain relief. The corded design of the compression massager delivers a consistent power supply.
The kit comes with a zipper bag for carrying all the accessories conveniently. You can also adjust the heat levels to obtain proper and controlled heat massage.
- Reasonably priced
Lunalife Air Compression Leg Massager gives you relief from pain and cramps not only on your legs and feet but also on your arms. The portable massaging device comes with a handheld controller that allows you to improve the circulation level and pressure intensity according to your needs.
The wireless leg massager allows for USB charging, and the long-lasting battery provides you with more than 2 hours of compression on a single charge. There are different operation and pressure settings on the controller that let you optimize the massage to the intensity that bests suits you.
Lunalife air compression leg massager is safe as well as useful. Compared with the cost of visiting a professional masseuse, the Lunalife makes for an economic investment that rids fatigue in the comfort of your home.
- Ease of operation
- Long-lasting battery
- Different pressure setting options
- Bulky design
- Not suitable for skinny or large people
- May feel too intense for a light massage
Before you start looking online to find that magical massager of your dreams, do go through this section and be informed about the things you need to keep in mind while investing in a leg massager. Yes, I say investing, because these devices do not come cheap. However, at the end of this post, hopefully, you will be able to find one within your budget according to your needs. Let’s get started!
What To Look For Before Ordering An Air Compression Leg Massager
- Travel-friendly – Long-haul flights aren’t kind to your legs. If you need relief from the stiffness while traveling, look for a massager that is lightweight, portable, and compact.
- Battery-operated – A massage device that needs to be plugged in may not be the ideal choice if you don’t want to depend on electricity. Look for a battery-operated massager that you can use with ease even while traveling.
- FDA Approval – An FDA approval comes with the assurance that your massager has been engineered to work correctly and that the health claims made by the manufacturer have been tested and proven.
- Coverage/Size – If your massager covers your feet and legs, you are sure to get better and quicker pain relief. But this would make the device bulkier and not travel-friendly. Also, check the size so that the wrap fits appropriately around your legs.
- Material – Always look for a high-quality, breathable fabric that is durable enough for long-term use yet comfortable on your skin when wrapped tight.
- Budget – Set a realistic price range before you start looking at options. It helps to know how much you can afford to spend before considering expensive products that are beyond your budget.
- Purpose – Some massagers help with particular conditions. So, before you purchase one, be sure of the purpose you are hoping to achieve with it.
- Time – Some massagers have an auto-shutoff feature that shuts down the device after 15 minutes. If you want to use it for longer, you will need to reset it. Make sure that you pick one according to your needs.
Technical Features To Look Out For While Buying An Air Compression Leg Massager
The primary function of an air compression leg massager remains more or less the same across various models. However, the features of each model may vary depending on the brand or the purpose of the massager. Let’s take a look at what you need to consider before making your purchase:
- Kind Of Wrap: Massagers come with a variety of wraps, which are meant for different parts of your legs, depending on your needs. Some will only cover your calves, while others will target your calves and feet. There are multipurpose wraps as well that can be used equally on your arms and calves.
- Plug-In Or Battery Powered: The power source also varies with each device. Some are plug-ins only, making them better suited for home use. Others have a rechargeable lithium battery with up to 2 hours of power and are ideal for use while traveling.
- Number Of Chambers: The number of pressure chambers in your device governs where pressure is applied and how evenly it is done. Fewer chambers provide higher pressure less equally, but with more chambers, the pressure is lower yet evenly distributed.
- Number Of Uses Per Day: Some massage devices have an automatic 15-minute shut-off, so you can only use them once or twice a day, for no longer than 15 minutes per use. Others can be reset immediately for more extended use in each session.
- Type Of Fastening: The wraps in massage devices come with velcro or zip for fastening. While velcro is more flexible, zip may not suit larger sizes. Also, quite a few massage devices do not accommodate calf sizes over 20″, so you need to check the size while buying.
- Sensitive Skin: For those with skin sensitivity issues, some massage devices come with a low-pressure setting and a soft lining.
- Foot Massaging Inserts: The footwraps in some massage devices have small foot massagers, which you can insert within the wrap to help increase circulation in your feet.
We hope this buying guide helps you make an informed choice, best suited to your needs and requirements. The best air compression leg massager for you should be able to give you relief from your symptoms while being affordable and easy to operate.
Which of the leg massagers on this list did you find most suitable for you? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What is the best time to use an air compression leg massager?
For best results, use a leg compression machine after a warm bath or shower. The heat relaxes your muscles before the massage, giving you maximum relief.
How often can I use an air compression leg massager?
Those with elevated symptoms can use it twice daily, once in the morning, and once before you go to bed. For others, once a day may be sufficient. Even if your symptoms are not acting up, regular use of the device can help prevent cramps or water retention in the future.
Can I use it before exercise?
No, these devices are not recommended before exercise or long periods of physical activity, including standing up. It would be counter-productive. The leg massager is best used while sitting, with your feet up, or before retiring to bed.
Can everyone use an air compression leg massager?
Although a leg massager provides immense relief in most cases, it may be uncomfortable or dangerous for those with gout, arthritis, or swollen joints. If you have tender joints that are too swollen, the pressure from these devices may be painful for you.
They should also be avoided in case of injury, surgery, osteoporosis, or extreme sensitivity. In such cases, foam rollers, vibrating footrests, compression stockings, or anti-inflammatory medication may be more suitable.
- 10 Best Foot Massagers To Buy In 2019
- 10 Best Handheld Percussion Massagers For A Deep Tissue Massage
- Top 11 Home Remedies To Relieve Tired Legs And Feet
- 12 Best Shoe Insoles For Running And Walking