There are many aquarium vacuum cleaners available in the market. They come in various shapes and sizes just to ensure that your fish tank is well maintained and clean at all times. If you are looking to buy an aquarium vacuum cleaner, you may get overwhelmed with the wide variety of options to pick from. But, getting the best aquarium vacuum cleaner is important as it provides a healthy environment for your fishes. We have compiled a list of the 10 best aquarium vacuum cleaners available online, so you don’t need to go wandering around all over the internet to figure it out. Check it out!
Table Of Contents
10 Best Aquarium Vacuum Cleaners Available Online
Python’s No Spill Clean And Fill Aquarium Maintenance System is one of the best aquarium vacuum cleaners. This super-efficient aquarium cleaner draws off and fills in water without the need to use any other container to replace the water in your fish tank. While you clean the tank, the décor or fishes won’t be disrupted the way they do during routine aquarium maintenance. This aquarium vacuum cleaner is compatible with most faucets and requires no other set-up to use. You can extend the length of its hose up to 25 feet, as per your requirement.
- Draws as well as fills the fish tank without any spillage or leaks.
- Cleans without disrupting the décor and the fishes.
- Compatible with most faucets.
- Ready-to-use system.
- Extendable gravel tube up to 25 feet.
- Tube Length: 15 inches
- Hose Length: 25 feet
- No leakage or spillage
- No set-up required
- No disruption to the fishes
- Extendable hose
- Value for money
- Saves time
- Difficult to use for new users
TERAPUMP Aquarium Cleaner has a large suction tube that makes it suitable for bigger aquariums of 10 gallons or greater capacity. The best thing about this aquarium cleaner is that it is multipurpose as it can be used to clean sand as well as water. This aquarium cleaner comes with two types of nozzles – a short one and a long one. The short nozzle is used for draining water, and the long nozzle is used to clean droppings, fine gravel, and leftover food. The kit also includes a hose clip to prevent the hose from falling off while cleaning. The entire cleaning and replacing water process does not disturb your fishes even when operating at 1.5 gallons per minute. The kit also comes with a sturdy suction cup that enables easy cleaning, even with a single hand.
- Suitable for bigger aquariums that are 10 gallons and over.
- Cleans sand and water.
- Two types of nozzles – short and long.
- Includes a hose clip and a sturdy suction cup for easy and hassle-free cleaning.
- Filter keeps large gravel from blocking the pump.
- Tube Length: 17 inches
- Hose Length: 5.5 feet
- Can be used to clean sand and water
- Adjustable flow control
- Easy to use
- Fast, effective cleaning
- Suitable for big aquariums
- Prevents blockage in the hose
- Manual cleaner
- Does not clean fine particles
Hygger Aquarium Gravel Cleaner is a super-efficient 3-in-1 multifunctional cleaner. Its siphon vacuum cleaner with built-in dual airbags and atmospheric cavity helps you change the water in your aquarium efficiently. It also offers sand washing with its 3D filter basket net and dirt suction with its gravel vacuum. The cleaner gets all the work done without you having to get your hands dirty. Its superior suction power with 2 thickened airbags can pump water and clean gravel and sand quickly. Its handle offers a comfortable grip to ensure convenient use. This aquarium vacuum cleaner comes with two adjustable tubes that can extend from 22.4 inches to 40.9 inches.
- 3-in-1 cleaner – water change, sand-washing, and dirt suction.
- Powerful gravel cleaner.
- 2 extendable tubes from 22.4 inches to 40.9 inches.
- Kit includes an air-pressing control body, 2 tubes, a tube connector, a duckbill suction, an outlet hose, a water flow clamp, and a fixture clamp.
- Tube Length:31.4-34 inches
- Hose length: 6.6 feet (79 inches)
- Convenient grip with a single hand.
- Multipurpose use
- Fast and efficient cleaning
- Extendable tubes
- Easy to use
- Not suitable for small tanks
- Average quality
LL Products Gravel Vacuum Cleaner is made for medium to extra-large fish tanks. It is a BPA-free vacuum cleaner that effectively cleans your fish tank and the gravel in it. It has a one-way flow system that prevents any water spillage or leakage. Its shut-off valve enables you to adjust the speed of water while you squeeze the hand pump to siphon the water. None of the fishes or décor are disturbed during the cleaning and refilling process. This aquarium vacuum cleaner comes with a rigid pipe that can be cut to fit 10, 20, 50, and100 gallon fish tanks.
- BPA-free aquarium vacuum cleaner.
- Effectively cleans the fish tank and gravel.
- Shut-off valve that adjusts the speed of water.
- One-way flow system.
- Rigid pipe that can be cut to any size as per the requirement.
- Tube Length: 4.5 inches
- Hose Length: 8 feet
- The cleaning process does not hinder the fishes or décor
- Prevents water spillage
- Shut-off valve to adjust water speed
- Suitable for medium to large fish tanks
- Hand pump may be complicated to use
- Leakage-prone joints
- Takes more time compared to other aquarium vacuum cleaners
SSRIVER Aquarium Gravel Cleaner is an extremely handy and compact cleaner. It is easy to install, clean, and operate. This cleaner fits fish tanks of almost every size. It refills and draws out water easily and without any blockages. After filtering, the cleaner effectively removes and separates the debris from your aquarium tank. It is easy to pump out water with its air-pressing button. It also comes with a flow adjuster to operate easily. The kit includes many other accessories like a soft hose, a water flowing clamp, a glass scraper to clean algae and stains, a hose clamp, and a pre-installed anti-backflow valve.
- The filter removes and separates debris and other particles from the tank.
- Air-pressing button to pump out water.
- Accessories include a soft hose, a water flowing clamp, a glass scraper, a hose clamp, and a pre-installed anti-backflow valve.
- Tube Length: 15.7 inches
- Hose Length: 6.7 feet
- Equipped with a flow adjuster
- Easy to install
- Fits fish tanks of almost all sizes
- Drains and refills water without any blockage
- Easy to use
- Average quality
- Chances of leakage and spillage
Lee’s 6-Inch Slim Jr. Ultra Gravel Vacuum Cleaner is convenient to use and extremely pocket-friendly! This cleaner is not only self-starting but also designed to separate debris from gravel and remove it from the fish tank during a routine water change. It comes a 72 inches long vinyl hose. Though it is inexpensive, it can be used to clean designer aquarium tanks, small tanks, and fishbowls. This handy device makes aquarium maintenance hassle-free and quick.
- Self-starting cleaner that separates debris from the gravel.
- 72” vinyl hose.
- Tube Length: 6 inches
- Hose Length: 6 feet
- Easy and convenient to use
- Self-starting mechanism
- Separates and removes debris
- Suitable for small tanks, designer aquariums, and fishbowls.
- Not powerful suction
- Long suction cup makes it difficult to clean fishbowls
Yokgrass 5-In-1 Fish Tank And Gravel Aquarium Vacuum Cleaner does everything from water changing and sand washing to excrement absorbing and algae scraping. It does it all without scratching the glass of the tank. It causes minimum water disturbance and no spillage, which is what makes it worth buying. It comes with an air-pressing button that creates a strong suction and a water flow clamp that enables you to adjust the flow. Its 2 inlet tubes can be extended when attached, while the flexible hose can be attached to the bucket with its clip to prevent water from spilling. The kit also has a fish protecting filter basket net that avoids jamming, clogging, and smaller fishes from getting sucked into the tube while cleaning.
- 5-in-1 multipurpose aquarium vacuum cleaner.
- Air-pressing button with strong suction.
- Adjustable water flow clamp.
- Comes with a filter basket to prevent clogging.
- Tube Length: 15.75 inches
- Hose length: 6 feet
- Multipurpose device
- No spillage
- No water disturbance.
- Does not scratch the aquarium glass
- Prevents jamming, clogging, and smaller fishes from getting sucked into the tube
- Does not suck up little dirt particles
- Average-quality scraper
COODIA Electric Auto Aquarium Gravel Cleaner is a 4-in-1 cleaner that cleans gravel, changes water, cleans algae, and extracts waste. From cleaning your aquarium to maintaining it, this cleaner does it all! The pump in it allows you to clean your tank with lesser water consumption compared to other aquarium vacuum cleaners. It also removes dirt particles without disturbing the bottom layer of the gravel. The attached filter bag collects dirt particles while the clean water is refilled in the tank. This aquarium water cleaner comes with an adapter and works at a safe voltage.
- Functions include gravel cleaning, water changing, algae cleaning, and waste extracting.
- Consumes less water compared to other cleaners.
- Removes and separates dirt without disturbing the bottom layer of the gravel.
- Equipped with a filter bag to collect dirt.
- Safe voltage adapter.
- Tube Length: 9.5 inches
- Hose Length: 2.3 feet
- Multipurpose device
- Consumes less water
- Easy to use
- Good suction
- Not suitable for big tanks
NICREW Automatic Gravel Cleaner is a one-stop device for quick cleaning and aquarium maintenance. It easily removes tiny particles from the water without disturbing the water, fishes, or bottom layer of the gravel. It also prevents the build-up of harmful toxins in your aquarium while reducing the strain on the pre-installed filters to make them work better. It can be used in both freshwater and saltwater aquariums with a water depth of up to 28 inches. The sponge filter on the inside of the cleaner traps debris and dirt particles, which makes it easy to remove and clean.
- Aquarium cleaning and maintenance unit.
- Reduces toxin build-up and reduces the pressure on the filters.
- Made with environmentally friendly materials.
- Extendable tubes up to 28 inches.
- Tube Length: 8.5 inches
- Hose Length: 2.3 feet
- Reduces toxin levels on the aquarium
- Easily removable and cleanable filter attachment
- Powerful suction
- Certified eco-friendly
- May clog sometimes
- Slightly short hose
KASAN Aquarium Gravel Cleaner is a 4-in-1 cleaner unit that washes sand, scrapes algae, arranges gravel and stones, and absorbs debris and sand particles. It comes with an air-pressing button, valves, scrapers, inlet and outlet tubes, and air clips. The valve is equipped with a net and a filter to ensure the gravel and fishes don’t get sucked into the tube. The scrapers do not scratch the glass of the fish tank. This aquarium cleaner kit includes 2 inlet tubes with adjustable length, which makes it compatible to be used on aquariums and tanks of various sizes. KASAN also offers 12 months of customer service.
- 4-in-1 cleaner unit – scrapes, washes, absorbs, and arranges.
- Comes with air-pressing buttons, valves, scrapers, inlet and outlet tubes, and air clips.
- Valve with a net and a filter to prevent the tube from clogging.
- 2 inlet tubes with adjustable length.
- 12 months of customer service.
- Tube Length: 15.7 inches
- Hose Length: 3 feet
- Efficient cleaning
- Prevents clogging
- Compatible with aquariums of various sizes
- Easy to use
- May cause leakage
Buying the perfect aquarium cleaner for your fish tank can be a daunting task. To help you out, we have compiled a buying guide that lists out all the factors you need to consider before making a purchase. Check it below!
Factors to Consider When Buying An Aquarium Vacuum Cleaner
- Size Of The Aquarium
When shopping for an aquarium vacuum cleaner, it is necessary to consider the size of your fish tank first. If your fish tank is small, a small-sized cleaner with a short hose would be an ideal choice and vice verse. Using a cleaner of a wrong size may cause problems when you siphon the water, thus harming or disturbing the fishes.
- Hose Length
Regardless of the size of your aquarium, it is always better to have a cleaner with a long hose. The longer the hose, the more convenient it is for you to drain or dispense water without worrying about leakage or spillage.
- Tube Length
Tube length is another important factor to consider, which depends on the size of your aquarium. Some tube lengths commonly available are:
- Standard/large size: 20 inches
- Small/slim size: 12 inches
- Mini/micro size: 6 inches
These are some things to consider before buying an aquarium vacuum cleaner. You may also check out the different types of gravel vacuum cleaners before you make your purchase. Find out more about them in the next section.
Types Of Gravel Vacuum Cleaners
- Electric Gravel Vacuum Cleaners: Electric gravel vacuum cleaners are automatic and battery-operated. They are considered to be faster and more efficient than manual cleaners. They don’t drain water from your fish tank. Instead, they pump water through it and trap debris, dirt, gunk, and food leftovers. They are priced slightly higher side but are worth the incident.
- Siphon-Style Gravel Vacuum Cleaners: Siphon-style gravel vacuum cleaners more popular. They are pocket-friendly and available in various sizes. There are different styles available, ranging from amateur to expert use. Siphon-style cleaners don’t depend on batteries and function manually. However, they siphon water as well as clean the gravel.
We know it can be difficult to find the perfect aquarium vacuum cleaner and even more difficult to use it correctly. But, we hope that our list of the 10 best aquarium vacuum cleaners helps you shortlist the best one for your use. Grab one to keep your fish babies healthy and happy!
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How often should I vacuum my fish tank gravel?
You should vacuum your fish tank gravel once every 1-2 weeks. Regularly vacuuming your fish tank will help your fishes lead a healthy life.
How do you use a gravel vacuum cleaner?
Follow these quick and easy steps to use a gravel vacuum cleaner:
- Get a good quality hose and tube or a siphon.
- Prepare your tank by removing all the décor from the areas you want to vacuum.
- Start the siphon and drain the water into a bucket.
- When you re-submerge the head of the cleaner, a pocket of air will form in the hose, which draws the water through the vacuum, down the hose, and into the bucket.
- Sift through the gravel in your tank to clean it thoroughly. The siphoning force of the vacuum will suck up all the debris and dirt.
How do you clean aquarium gravel?
- Transfer your fishes in a bucket with almost 50% of the tank water.
- Unplug and remove the filter, heater, and air pump from the tank.
- Using a scoop or a cup, remove all the gravel and place it in a sieve to it wash thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, drain, scrape, and rinse the entire fish tank.
- With a full-speed faucet, wash the gravel meticulously a couple of times.
- Once the gravel is clean and dry, put it back along with the décor and refill the tank with water.
- Once the water reaches the correct temperature, transfer your fishes back to the tank.
How do you clean aquarium sand?
- Transfer your fishes in a bucket and unplug your fish tank. Siphon the water.
- Hold the siphon approximately an inch away from the sand so that the waste and dirt get sucked in.
- Once done, move your fingers or a stick gently through the stand to stir it. This way, any leftover particles will float up.
- Follow the same process of cleaning if there are any leftovers.
- You can also dry the sand under the sun.
- Cleaning the aquarium sand should be done at least once or twice a month.
Latest posts by Harini Natarajan (see all)
- 11 Best Water Dispensers (2020) – Reviews And Buying Guide - August 7, 2020
- 12 Best Steam Cleaners – Reviews + Buying Guide - July 31, 2020
- 10 Best Futon Mattresses – Reviews And Buying Guide - July 30, 2020
- 7 Best Manual Espresso Machines - July 30, 2020
- 9 Best Propane Heaters And A Buying Guide - July 30, 2020