Our backs suffer a lot—just ask those who spend hours in front of the PC without any physical exercises! Sedentary lifestyle, bad posture, injuries—all lead to the debilitating backache. To prevent this problem, you need to strengthen your back. But, how do you strengthen your back? If that is what you are worried about, you need to try back extension exercises. Strengthening your back, these exercises will keep aches and pains far away.
In case, you’ve experienced some kind of injury, ensure to speak to your doctor before starting these exercises. It is possible that you might find a couple of these exercises challenging. But there is nothing to worry about. You can start off in an inclined position till you think that you are comfortable enough to handle it. If you find these movements easy, then you can move to a declined position. You should perform these exercises 2 to 3 times a week. But, if your back still feels sore, speak to your doctor or physician about it.
What Will You Require?
To carry out back extension exercises, you require a mat, a bench and a bottle of water. Wear your usual workout clothes. Remember that comfort is the key here. Keep in mind that there are several variations to these workouts. You also require a vertical bench and a few free weights. However, it is not a necessity.
Top 5 Back Extension Exercises:
Now, let’s look at some of the top back extension exercises that you can do at home. Ensure to follow each step carefully. There is no need to hurry while learning. Be patient. Some of the moves are not going to work out on the very first day. Give it some time to see a change soon.
1. Dart Move:
The Dart Move is one of the best among all Pilates extension exercises. They are great for your abdominals. These exercises help strengthen the spine. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Place your mat in front of you and lie on your stomach. Keep your arms by your side. Make sure they are straight.
- Now as you inhale, gently bring your abdominal muscles up.
- As you keep your muscles tight and pulled in, exhale. Your upper body should not be on the ground this time. It should be slightly off.
- Bring your arms behind you as the shoulder blades slide down. It’s time for you to anchor your bone. Do not strain yourself.
- You should be looking down. Make sure your eyes are not wondering here and there.
- Inhale and pause.
- As you exhale, start lowering your upper body to the ground.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times.
2. Swimming Pose:
The Swimming Pose is an effective stretching exercise and has been designed for all those who would like to learn how to balance themselves. In order to do it the right way, use the following steps:
- Place your mat in front of you and lie down on your stomach again. Keep your legs together. Don’t bend them.
- Don’t bring your shoulders near your ears. Keep the blades in your back. Your arms should be over your head now. Stretch for a few seconds.
- Make sure your abs are tight. Bring your navel above the ground.
- Now stretch out your arms, legs and spine as far as possible. But this should be in opposite directions. Make sure your face is down.
- Now, alternate your hands and legs and pulse for a couple of seconds.
- Breathe in and hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times.
3. Cow Pose:
The Cow Pose is best for increasing the coordination, stretching the hips and abdomen and calming the mind. Follow the steps to perform it:
- Get down on the mat in an all fours position. Your body should be straight and shoulders relaxed. Keep the abs lifted as well.
- Keep your head up and make sure you don’t let it fall back. Your neck should be an extension of your spine.
- Now it’s time for you to imagine a bit. Think that both your head and tail are moving far away from you. Don’t force yourself too much. After reaching a particular point, start to curve up.
- Breathe out and come back to the first position.
4. Plank Pose:
The Plank Pose provides strength to several sections of your body, including shoulders, biceps and neck. They also work your thighs, buttocks and calves at the same time.Follow the steps to perform it:
- The first thing you need to do is come to a plank position. This is pretty simple to do. Come to your knees and keep your hands in front of you. Your fingers should be straight. Keep your hands and elbows straight.
- Now it’s time for you to lengthen your spine. Make sure the energy in your body spreads from head to the tailbone. Extend your body till you feel that stretch.
- Now lean a little forward and allow your weight to rest on your hands.
- Keep your legs behind you and extend them. Don’t separate them. Instead, allow the energy to spread far through the heels. Allow some of your weight to be on the balls of your feet.
- Imagine you are pulling your sit bones at the same time. Take a couple of deep breaths.
- Now as you breathe, let it expand into your ribs as well as the abs.
- Keep yourself in that position for about 5 breaths.
- Give yourself a break and repeat.
- If you are a beginner, 5 times should be enough.
5. Swan Pose:
The Swan Pose opens up your hips and improves the digestive system. You could also strengthen your abdominal muscles by doing this. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Lie down on the mat on your stomach. Keep your arms close to your body. You can bend your elbows as well.
- You may keep your legs together. However, it is best to get this exercise done with your legs separated.
- Now make your abs tight and lift your stomach off the mat.
- Next you should be inhaling. Your spine will lengthen and energy shall spread from your head. It’s important to keep your back lowered.
- Breathe in as you breathe out, keep your abdominals off the ground. Keep your spine long.
- This movement should be repeated around 3 to 5 times. It’s important to relax throughout
Go ahead and give your back a break! Give it a chance to grow stronger with these back extension exercises. Say goodbye to those niggling back pains!
Do you suffer from back pain? Do you think your back needs strengthening? Have you ever tried back strengthening exercises? Share with us right below in the comments section.
- 10 Best Back Stretchers To Relieve Back Pain
- 10 Best Back Braces For Lower Back Pain And Support
- 10 Effective TRX Exercises To Strengthen Your Body
- 10 Effective Exercises To Strengthen Your Lower Body
Latest posts by Naomi (see all)
- 3 Best Exercises For Hiatal Hernia - August 6, 2015
- Baba Ramdev Yoga Poses For High Blood Pressure - August 5, 2015
- 3 Amazing Benefits And 2 Side Effects Of Tartaric Acid - July 31, 2015
- 3 Best Eye Exercises For Astigmatism - July 28, 2015
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Hot Oil Manicure - July 24, 2015