Red lipstick is a classic makeup essential which is a must-have in your makeup vanity. It is available in different tones, and if you are looking for something on the darker side, you opt for some of the best blue-based red lipstick available on the market. Stephanie D-M, a makeup artist with 17 years of experience, states, “ Red lipsticks come in different tones but the most universally adaptable shade that goes with most skin tones is a blue-based red lipstick.”Though red lipsticks flatter most skin tones, you should lean towards dark and olive tones if you are dusky. This article lists the 7 best blue-based red lipsticks to give you a bold and statement look. Read on!
In This Article
7 Best Red Lipsticks With Blue Undertones – 2024
1. Best Non-Drying Formula: NYX Professional Makeup Shout Loud Pro Pigment Lipstick – Wife Goals
This intensely pigmented satin lipstick by NYX delivers vibrant color in a single swipe. Wife Goals is a beautiful sultry red lipstick shade that channels your inner diva. The dark lipstick is made from a buttery formula that is packed with the goodness of castor oil, shea butter, lanolin oil, mango seed butter, and other saturating ingredients to deliver up to 4 hours of intense hydration. The custom-designed bullet lipstick has a beautiful heart stamp. This luscious and intense red lipstick formula glides across your lips for the perfect plump, glossy, and satin finish. Makeup and skin care blogger Jodi, writes, “I have to say that the pigmentation is absolutely amazing! The shade is such a perfect blue-based red – WOWZERS! I love the non-drying satin finish (i).”
- Smells good
- Goes on smooth
- Not transfer-proof
2. Best Pigmented Formula: Maybelline New York Color Sensational Made For All Lipstick – 385 Ruby For Me
This lipstick line by Maybelline New York is formulated to look stunning on all skin tones. It is infused with honey nectar and has state-of-the-art satin and matte formulas for a beautiful and smooth finish. This bold red lipstick is super pigmented and contains lush moisturizing ingredients like shea butter and sesame oil that provide intense nourishment and effectively lock in moisture. Reviews on Amazon have praised this ruby-red lipstick’s uniquely shaped bullet design that makes application easier. Beauty and Lifestyle blogger who has tried multiple shades from this line, including the Ruby For Me, writes, “Ruby for Me | a bright, slightly on the cool side, red. I’d say it’s a pretty classic shade. And while not one I wear super often, beautiful nonetheless…I have to say for a satin finish lipstick the color is pretty vibrant and doesn’t bleed (ii).”
- Non-drying formula
- Flawless finish
- Super pigmented
- Easy to apply
- Transfers easily
3. Best Moisturizing Formula: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Love That Red
This gorgeous lip color by Revlon is everything you can ask for in one lipstick. This warm lipstick provides a stunning finish while deeply moisturizing your lips. This creamy dark red lipstick is infused with avocado oil to lock in hydration. The high-impact shade uses fine micro-pigments that provide rich color while feeling lightweight. Reviewers on online forums have praised the luscious formula of the hydrating lipstick that melts onto the lips and leaves a non-drying matte finish.
- Glides on the lips smoothly
- Highly pigmented
- Moisturizing formula
- Value for money
- Not transfer-proof
NYX Professional Makeup Shout Loud Pro Pigment Lipstick – Wife Goals
Best Non-Drying Formula
Maybelline New York Color Sensational Made For All Lipstick – 385 Ruby For Me
Best Pigmented Formula
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick – Love That Red
Best Moisturizing Formula
|0.8 x 0.8 x 3.14 inches
|0.94 x 0.94 x 2.99 inches
|3.15 x 1.97 x 1.97 inches
4. Best Lightweight Formula: stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick – Fiery
Are you a fan of liquid lipsticks with darker colors? Then, this beautiful blue-based and vampy red lipstick is the perfect choice for you. It delivers bold color in a single swipe and dries to a creamy matte finish. The liquid lipstick is long-lasting and can stay put for up to 12 hours. The avocado oil and vitamin E in the liquid formula soften and hydrate your lips. Unlike regular liquid lipsticks, this vibrant red lipstick is super weightless and comfortable to wear. The doe foot lipstick application tip also allows for precise application with minimal effort.
- Highly pigmented
- Does not bleed or feather
- Transfers and smudges easily
5. Best Fade-Proof Formula: M.A.C Retro Matte Lipstick – Relentlessly Red
This iconic red lipstick by M.A.C has an intensely pigmented formula that provides full coverage. It is super creamy and dries to a zero-shine matte finish. The long-lasting matte lip color stays for about 8 hours without fading, smudging, or feathering. This vivid blue-red shade is a must-have for your vanity. However, if you have dry lips, test this matte lipstick before committing to it for regular use.
- Intensely pigmented
- Goes on smooth
- Does not feather
- Slightly drying
6. Best Long-Lasting Formula: Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint – Perfect Universal Red
This gorgeous blue-based red lipstick from the celebrity-endorsed brand Fenty Beauty dazzles your lips and dries to a velvety, soft matte finish. The weightless liquid formula sits perfectly on your lips and does not bleed or crease. The cool-toned red lipstick comes with a lip-defining precision wand that delivers intense color in a single swipe. It is very long-lasting and can stay put for up to 12 hours without budging or feathering. Additionally, this product is not tested on innocent animals, which makes it an ideal lipstick for makeup enthusiasts seeking ethical options.
- Highly pigmented
- Does not feather
- Easy to apply
- 100% cruelty-free
7. Best In Natural Ingredients: Karen Murrell Natural Lipstick – True Love
Nourish and protect your lips with the all-natural formula of this statement-making lipstick by Karen Murrell. This spectacular blue-based red lipstick is infused with avocado oil and evening primrose oil to deeply condition and moisturize your lips. The candelilla, carnauba wax, and cinnamon in the formula protect and soothe your lips, while the sweet orange extracts help decrease pigmentation, improving your natural lip color and leaving your lips pink and plump. The natural ingredients and essential oils in this long-lasting red lipstick ensure a smooth and creamy application.
- All-natural ingredients
- Goes on smooth
- Mineral oil-free
Red lipstick adds glam to your personality! A retro red lipstick with a blue undertone is perfect for a person who prefers cool undertone lippies. However, choosing a perfect lip look becomes difficult when you have so many perfect shades and branded formulas within your reach. This guide will help you find the best red lipstick for blue undertones.
What To Consider When Buying Red Lipsticks With Blue Undertones – Buying Guide
- Know Your Skin Tone: Red lips are always a classic, but most women find it difficult to pair the lip color with their skin tone. Lipsticks with blue undertones tend to look good on most skin tones, provided they are not too pink or orange. Furthermore, grayish tones and deep browns look gorgeous on hazel and dark brown eyes with dark hair.
- Versatility: Besides your skin tone, you should also consider how versatile the lipstick shade is. Not all colors will work for everyday wear. For instance, subtle red-orange lipsticks with blue undertones are great for everyday wear, whereas deep cherry or wine-colored lipsticks are mostly worn during glamorous events or parties.
- Texture And Pigmentation: Make sure that the color is pigmented enough to make a bold statement on your lips! If your skin has a dewy finish, go for lipstick that has a demi-matte finish with a creamy texture. You can opt for liquid textures but they can be drying during the hot weather. However, liquid tends to stay on for a longer period of time. Creamy textures, on the other hand, may need too many touch ups but they are not too drying on the lips. Also, opt for a waterproof red lipstick to avoid unnecessary fading and smudging.
- Price: The price of lipstick is one of the most important factors you should consider before buying. A high-end or luxury brand will cost you more, but they might not be very effective. Look out for online discounts, sales, and coupons to get the best deals while shopping for the lippies.
- Moisturization: If you have dry lips, make sure that the lipstick you use hydrates your lips. Look for a product that contains ingredients like aloe vera, calendula oil, coconut oil, and glycerine for exceptional results. These ingredients treat your lips naturally and keep them hydrated for a long time by creating a barrier against moisture loss.
- Long-lasting: Reapplying and multiple touch-ups are always annoying and a waste of time. Choose long-wearing and flattering red lipsticks that can get you through 8 to 9-hour events without any touch-ups.
Infographic: How To Choose The Best Red Lipstick For Blue Undertones
Your persona gets a glamorous boost from a glossy red lipstick. If you have a cool undertone, red lipstick with a blue undertone is ideal for you. There are different brands that offer different hues and formulas, and it can be challenging to choose the right lip color. Worry not! We have put together an infographic to help you choose the best red lipstick for blue undertones. Check it out!
Classic red lipsticks are the quickest way to add some glam and amp up your look. The listed red lipsticks with blue undertones are packed with natural ingredients that make the lips well-nourished. They provide the perfect plump while being effortlessly glossy and shiny. The NYX Professional Makeup Shout Loud Pro Pigment Lipstick – Wife Goals is ideal for achieving a bold lip color with a glossy finish at an affordable price. The Fenty Beauty Stunna Lip Paint – Perfect Universal Red offers offers a long-lasting stay with a semi matte finish. If you are looking for a hydrating formula with a non-drying and creamy finish, try the stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick – Fiery. These lipsticks glide on smoothly while being long-lasting and lightweight. When choosing a high-pigment red lipstick with blue undertones, you should also check whether the lipsticks are transfer-proof or not. Make sure that the lipsticks are superbly pigmented and have a non-drying formula to keep your lips chap-free all day.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a blue undertone lipstick?
Blue undertone lipsticks have a slight cool tone and look flattering on olive and warmer skin tones.
Does red lipstick suit everyone?
Yes, everyone can wear red lipsticks, but the key is to find the right shade that complements your skin tone.
Can blondes wear red lipstick?
A moisturizing red lipstick with blue-based tones can work best for blondes. Regular orangey and peachy tones tend to wash out their color.
What skin tone does blue-red lipstick suit?
Blue-red lipsticks are suitable for every skin tone, but it complements fair complexions more. It makes fair skin look radiant and makes your teeth look whiter.
Is burgundy a blue-based red?
Yes, we can consider burgundy a blue-based red color. Burgundy is a blend of purple and primary colors, such as, red, blue, and yellow.
How do you know if a red lipstick is blue-based?
Apply red lipstick to your wrist and check the color closely. If the lipstick is too orangish or pink, it is not based on the shade blue. On the other hand, if the lipstick seems to be purplish, it is blue-based.
How do I know which red lipstick suits me?
You can know which statement red lipstick suits you by identifying your undertone. Determine if you have warm, cool, or neutral undertones by checking the veins on your wrist. People with greenish veins have warm undertones. Red lipsticks with orange and pink hues are the best for warm undertones. People with blue and purple veins have cooler or more neutral undertones, and bluish-red lipsticks are perfect for them.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Baishali Bhattacharya, is certified in makeup artistry. Her expertise in this field helped her choose the list of the best red lipsticks with blue undertones. She has conducted in-depth research on several red lipsticks available on the market and checked the user feedback on trusted online forums and brand websites. These products are suitable for any occasion and impart a bold look.”
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.