15 Best Bronzer For Dark Skin Tones of 2023
Add warmth and sparkle to your skin and make your face appear chiseled and sleek.
As the major function of a bronzer is to darken the skin to create a tanned impression, it is often wrongly considered that bronzers are not suitable for darker skin tones. But that couldn’t be further from the truth! The best bronzer for dark skin can give you a sun-kissed luminous shine while highlighting your facial features. It is all part of the contouring routine.
Contouring is a popular trend that is sweeping the globe right now, and women use bronzers all over the world to enhance and shape their faces. Women with darker skin tones can use bronzers to give warmth and sparkle to their skin, just as those with lighter skin tones swear by them to mimic a tanned look. So, if you have dark skin and are hesitant to purchase a bronzer, here are some of the top bronzers suitable for a dark complexion that will persuade you otherwise. Keep scrolling!
In This Article
Top 15 Best Bronzers To Illuminate Dark Skin
1. Best Matte Finish: Physicians Formula Bronze Booster Glow Boosting Pressed Bronzer
A face that is sharply defined with a classy bronzer is hard to ignore, and when you are using this bronzer that is infused with vitamins, antioxidants, and moisturizers, your skin will glow up instantly. The bronzer features a lightweight and powder formula that smoothly glides and settles on the skin, providing a healthy-looking glow. Have a look at this video to learn more about the product.
- Hypoallergenic and sensitive skin-friendly
- Buildable formula for a lasting effect
- Streak-free and odor-free product
- Blends very well
- Complete matte finish
- May look powdery on medium skin tone.
2. Best For Everyday Wear: IMAN Cosmetics Luxury Pressed Powder, Dark Skin, Earth Medium
This nice and frost-free powder is an ideal product to give a rich finishing touch to your makeup. This powder can be worn on the skin for a warm glow or can be used as a bronzer for dark skin. This bronzer is perfect for sculpting your face and to create a more natural tanned look. Here is an informative video that tells you more about the product.
- Great for everyday wear
- Feels light on the face
- Controls oil without drying out the skin
- Completely matte powder
- May not work for sensitive skin.
3. Best For Shiny Finish: NARS Bronzing Powder, Laguna
These bronzers offer a perfect combination of pigment and shimmer. If you are looking for a bronzer that can sculpt your face and leave your skin with a hint of shimmer glow, this is the ideal bronzing powder to choose from. The brown powder comes with a golden shimmer and offers a dewy finish for medium to deeper skin tones. Also, this bronzing formula is recommended over any other heavier powder. For more information about the product, click this video.
- Fills pores and lines for smooth skin
- Shiny finish enhances skin color
- Long-wear product
- Offers a natural tanned look
- May look blotchy on the skin with cool undertones.
4. Best Oil-Absorbing: bareMinerals Invisible Bronze Powder Bronzer
If you are struggling to find the right bronzer for your skin tone, consider this invisible bronzer by bareMinerals that easily sits on the skin and has perfect pigmentation to make your skin look glowing. The bronzer also consists of mild glitter that will highlight the important areas of your face. It also leaves a beautiful brown tan with a pink undertone on your skin.
- Thin and dusty formula
- Offers a glittery radiant finish
- Oil-absorbing bronzer
- Can be used as a powder too
- Perfectly pigmented
- Some may find it muddy and chalky.
5. Best For Sensitive Skin: Bobbi Brown Bobbi Brown Bronzing Powder – Deep
If you are a fan of makeup products by Bobbi Brown, this deep and high impact bronzing powder is worth giving a try. The bronzer makes the dark skin look sun-kissed and glorious. The powder features a soft matte finish and instantly gives your skin a tanned effect. Especially if you have warm undertones, this will become your go-to bronzer. Once you use this, you won’t be able to quit bronzing quite soon.
- Works for sensitive skin
- Doesn’t look cakey
- Ideal for warm undertones
- Smoothes lines and wrinkles
- Blends in well with skin
- May require touch-ups
6. Best Long-Lasting Comfort: Guerlain Terracotta The Bronzing Powder
Provide an awesome finishing touch to your makeup with this terracotta bronzing powder. The rich, velvety texture of the powder glides easily on the skin and settles with perfection. The powder has a slightly luminous finish and, thus, is ideal for everyday use. Plus, the bronzer is also infused with minerals and moisturizing ingredients to keep your skin nourished and safe.
- Doesn’t dry out the skin
- Long-lasting comfort
- Offers a slightly shimmery finish
- Leaves no residue
- Offers a light coverage
7. Best Oil-Free: COVERGIRL Queen Collection Natural Hue Mineral Bronzer- Ebony Bronze
You can warm up and glorify your skin with this mineral bronzer that is designed especially for darker skin tones. This mineral-enriched powder-based bronzer offers a tanned effect without any shimmery effect. Plus, it features a hypoallergenic formula that won’t clog pores or damage your sensitive skin. This is undoubtedly one of the best bronzers if you want to look like a tanned diva.
- Offers controlled shine
- Good coverage
- Blends and sets quickly
- Doesn’t look creasy on skin
- Oil-free powdery consistency
- May not work for medium skin tone.
8. Best Smudge-Free: Cargo Bronzing Powder, Dark
This bronzer can become your ultimate travel companion and it works well even during summers. The bronzer easily glides on the skin and smoothes out fine lines and wrinkles while leaving your skin flawless. The bronzer will never look patchy on your skin and offers a very natural look, so whenever you are off for a date night or a vacation, carry this and look stunning always. It is the best bronzer for african american skin.
- Doesn’t leave brown streaks
- Subtle hints of glitter
- Available in an attractive packaging
- Smudge-free product
- Not a water-proof bronzer
9. Best For Oily Skin: Iman Cosmetics Sheer Finish Bronzing Powder Afterglow
Women love this bronzer for its illuminating and refreshing afterglow. The bronzer comes in 3 different shades and can be worn as a complete complexion enhancer when you are off for a special event. The bronzer offers a long-lasting and tanned effect plus. It lasts for hours, so you don’t have to get frequent touch-ups. The rich brown hues of this bronzer will definitely become one of your favorites. It is the best bronzer for medium dark skin.
- Comes in 3 different shades
- Less sheer and more opaque
- Highly pigmented
- Can be used as an eyeshadow and blush too
- Works well for oily skin
- Feels more like a blush
10. Best Cruelty-Free: NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Matte Bronzer
Makeup products by NYX professionals are always highly functional and seamless, and this bronzer will bring life to your skin for offering a completely irresistible look. This matte bronzer provides a radiant and warm glow without any glitter, and thus, if you are looking for a natural everyday wear bronzer, this one is an ideal pick available at a great bargain!
- Cruelty-free product
- Offers full coverage
- Aids color correction
- Doesn’t cause breakouts
- Lasts all-day
- Some find it chalky.
11. Best Waterproof: Rimmel Natural Bronzer- Sun Bronze
Enriched with SPF-15, this natural bronzer will keep your skin safe from the sun while offering a sun-kissed glow. Its rich formula makes it easy to apply and feels lightweight on the skin. Simply grab your favorite bronzing brush and apply this creamy formula on your face for a perfectly sculpted look.
- Works for neutral undertones
- Easy-t- apply
- Water-proof formula
- Lasts for 10 hours
- Complete matte finish
- May look dark on medium skin
12. Best Illuminating Duo: Sleek Makeup Face Contour Kit (Dark)
If you are a fan of highlighting and contouring your face, sculpt your jawline to perfection with this sleek makeup contour kit. Ideal for dark skin, this bronzer comes as a duo of compact powder with a shimmer highlighter to give your face a perfectly illuminating glow every day. It is the best drugstore bronzer for dark skin.
- Strong pigmentation
- Stays all-day
- Doesn’t irritate the skin
- May feel creasy on dry skin
13. Best Gluten-Free: RMS Beauty – Buriti Bronzer
Make the high points of your face more noticeable with this ultra-sheer and super glowing bronzer. This deep bronzer is designed to suit dark skin tones and bring out the warmth without making the skin look greasy or too glittery. The creamy, rich formula doesn’t dry off the skin and easily blends with the skin for a natural look.
- Infused with buriti oil for nourishment
- Highlights the skin
- Offers a translucent glow
- Smell-free product
- Not for fair skin
14. Best Buildable: Too Faced – Dark Chocolate Soleil Deep/Tan Matte Bronzer
Bronzing will turn more delicious and exciting with this dark chocolate deep tan bronzer. The bronzer defines and sculpts the face with a buildable and flattering tan. Plus, it is infused with 100% cocoa and smells delicious. Plus, it’s free from parabens, sulfates, and harmful toxins that can damage your skin. Also, this long-wear bronzer will look stunning for up to 8 hours without creasing.
- Soft and velvety texture
- Offers a dark matte sculpt
- Blends well
- Buildable coverage
- May look unnatural if not applied properly
15. Best Pigmented: Becca Sunlit Bronzer – Bronzed Bondi
Here’s a bronzer that effortlessly blends pigments with liquid for a smooth, creamy texture. The bronzer feels super soft on the skin and doesn’t dry off or create lines. This bronzer is ideal for dark skin tone and is free from sulfates and other harmful toxins so you can apply it on your skin without worrying about breakouts.
- Long-wear product
- Doesn’t look ashy on the skin
- Doesn’t irritate the skin
- Opaque and thick
- Richly pigmented
- Some may find it too sparkly.
We have guided you with some of the best bronzers available. Now it’s the time to consider some features before buying the bronzers for dark skin.
How To Choose The Best Bronzer For Dark Skin
If you are struggling to choose the right bronzer for your dark skin, here are the things you can keep in mind and pick the bronzer that doesn’t make your skin look muddy and patchy.
- The first thing to keep in mind while buying a bronzer is the undertone of your skin. If you have dark skin tone, pick the shades with warm hues such as gold, copper or red this will create a buildable texture on your skin and enhance the glow
- The other thing to keep in mind is the shade of the bronzer. Keep in mind that you pick 1 shade darker bronzer than your skin tone. This will prevent a muddy look and will help you contour and highlight your cheeks, temples, jaw, etc. areas for a youthful glow.
- The third thing to keep in mind is to pick a bronzer with a shimmery base. The glittery bronzers are ideal for dark skin tones as dark skin tones are pigmented in areas like chin, jaw, temples, etc. You simply need to highlight these features, and that can be easily done using a bronzer with shimmer or glitter base.
How To Apply Bronzer For Dark Skin
You may find it tricky to apply bronzer on dark skin tone, but with the right bronzer and correct technique, you can easily apply bronzer on your skin. Here are the tips you need to keep in mind.
1. Pick the right shade
Remember that for dark skin tones, you need to pick a bronzer that is 1 or maximum 2 shades darker than the skin tone. Pick a bronzer with warm undertones like red and copper to enhance and highlight the key features of your face.
2. Choose the bronzer with the right finish
There are plenty of bronzers available these days. Some bronzers offer a crisp matte finish while some are glittery or shimmery. For dark skin tones, a radiant and healthy glow can be achieved by highlighting the features. So pick the bronzers with a shimmer base.
3. Use the proper technique
You can’t apply the bronzer all over your face when you have a dark skin tone unless you want your skin to look oily and patchy. Your purpose is to highlight the special areas of your face and, thus, use it to highlight your cheekbones, jawline, temples, and nose tip for the best results.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Chaitra Krishnan, is a makeup enthusiast who loves experimenting with different trending looks. Her extensive research on bronzers ideal for darker skin shades has helped her narrow down the best products for her readers. Chaitra also went through hundreds of online reviews to ensure that the products recommended in the list are richly pigmented, blendable, and made with safe ingredients. These bronzers give you a sun-kissed glow while highlighting your best features!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bronzer good for dark skin?
Yes. Bronzer is beneficial for women with dark skin as a bronzer can naturally bring out the glow and radiance of dark skin. Though women with dark skin tone do not need a fake tan, they do need the bronzer to highlight and define the most delicate features of their face for an edgy look.
Is Hoola Bronzer good for dark skin?
Hoola by Benefit is the ideal choice of bronzer for plenty of ladies. Catering to the demand of bronzers for dark skin tone, Hoola launched bronzers like Hoola Caramel and Hoola Dark for women with dark skin tones. The bronzers are designed for warm undertones and over a rich matte finish with buildable coverage for a glorious glowy look. These bronzers offer a slight shine to the skin without making it look blotchy or oily and are thus great for dark skin tones.
What do I do if my bronzer is too dark?
If your bronzer is too dark, you need to blow off the excess bronzer, and for this, use a fluffy brush. If you are using a liquid-based bronzer, use a sponge to remove the excess bronzer and then blend it in and again remove the excess that makes your skin look dark or patchy.
Should I wear blush or bronzer?
Blush and bronzers are designed for different purposes. Blush gives a vibrant glow to your cheeks while the bronzer is used for contouring and highlighting the face. So if you are willing to make your skin look tanned or contoured, use a bronzer. Using a bronzer, you can highlight areas like jawline, temples, nose tip, etc. and make your face look more appealing.
There is a misconception that bronzers don’t suit darker skin tones. Tanned skin gives a luminous glow irrespective of skin color. The bronzers on our list contain moisturizing ingredients and antioxidants that give an instant sparkling glow to the skin. These products are highly-pigmented, blend well with other products, and are easy to apply. They are available in various shades to match different skin tones. You can even select a shade up or down to change your skin tone temporarily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put bronzer all over my face?
No, you cannot put bronzer all over your face. Instead, apply bronzer for the subtle hints of glow, not to tan your face completely.
What can bronzer do when you apply a dark complexion?
Bronzers bring warmth to your face even if you have a naturally dark complexion. You can apply bronzer to your nose and cheeks that usually capture the warmth.
How dark should a bronzer be?
A bronzer should be 2-4 shades darker than your complexion.
Is bronzer necessary for makeup?
Yes, bronzers are a major step in your makeup routine. Usually, when you apply foundation or concealer, they make your face look pale or flat. Applying bronzer helps gain the warmth back on your face.
What is bronzer made of?
Cinnamon powder, cocoa powder, nutmeg, and cornstarch help you make a basic bronzer for the glow on your face.
Is bronzer safe for the skin?
Yes, bronzers are usually safe for your skin as long as you apply them with care.
- 15 Best Drugstore Bronzers
- Best Bronzers Available In India – Our Top 10
- Best Leg Bronzers To Buy Online – 2023
- Basic Makeup Tips For Beauties With Dark Skin