If you have been looking for innovative ways to style your hair, you need to grab the best color depositing conditioner out there, stat. More sophisticated than at-home colors that need careful application, these conditioners contain pigments that subtly enhance your natural hair color and neutralize uneven tones. They have been formulated to be super-easy to apply without the messiness of regular hair dyes.
Whether you’ve got beautiful blonde highlights that are starting to turn brassy or a ravishing red base to which you want to add some fire, these concoctions are the fastest and simplest way of getting it done. In addition to coloring, they’re also used to protect your hair from UV rays and reduce heat damage. Can’t wait to try it out? Pick from our 8 highly recommended options and make every hair day a whole lot brighter! Scroll for detailed reviews.
What Is Color-Depositing Conditioner?
Colored hair requires proper maintenance. Frequent heat styling, sun damage, washing, or simply the passage of time can make your hair color fade. Besides using a color-safe shampoo and conditioner, you can use a color-depositing conditioner. If you want to keep your hair color looking vibrant, a color-depositing conditioner will be your saving grace. Color-depositing conditioners contain a small amount of pigment that can amplify the color of your hair and also help to neutralize the unwanted brassy tones that are often found in blonde or naturally gray hair.
A color-depositing conditioner basically helps to dye your hair temporarily. If you are looking for a convenient solution to maintain your beautifully colored tresses, this is the best way. It preserves your color between salon appointments. Another good thing about color-depositing conditioners is that you can also use them on your natural hair. However, it is important to note that color-depositing conditioners cannot lighten your hair. They can only alter the pigment in your hair for a slightly lighter appearance.
So, let’s check out the best color-depositing conditioners available in the market right now.
8 Best Color-Depositing Conditioners – 2022
This color-enhancing conditioner provides instant hair color while nourishing the strands. It conditions the hair, softens, and hydrates it. It is a one-step home treatment that extends the life of light blonde to blonde hair colors. It refreshes hair, adds shine, and moisturizes the hair in just 3 minutes.
- Easy to use
- Keeps your hair color fresh
- Requires little product per use
- Gentle formula
2. Best For Dry Hair: Best Scalp Cleanser : Aveda Color Conditioner – Clove
This luxurious color conditioner enriches the warm tones in medium to dark brown hair. It contains organically grown cloves that help enhance the warm hues in your brunette hair and cleanse the scalp. It also deeply conditions dry and damaged ends. The creamy formula leaves your hair feeling soft and manageable. This conditioner is an ideal choice for brown and honey shades.
- Pleasant fragrance
- Adds shine
- Perfect for covering up an uneven ombre
The Joico Color Infuse Red Conditioner is a nourishing formula infused with powerful ingredients. It refreshes red tones and enhances red highlights, improving hair color vibrancy and shine. It is a fade-proof conditioner that works instantly and can be used 2-3 times a week.
- Instant results
- Easy to use
- Improves shine
- Doesn’t deposit much color
4. Best Fade-Resistant Conditioner: Best Cruelty-Free Formula : Celeb Luxury Viral Hybrid Colorditioner – Purple
This intense color conditioner helps maintain your vivid hair color and controls fading for weeks. This conditioner works well on highly lightened, bleached, and palest blonde hair. It helps to refresh and maintain your hair color in 2-5 minutes. Its hydrating formula rebuilds the bonds deep in the core of your hair fibers to give you 3x stronger and silkier hair. You can try out the Purple shade in this range to add a badass vibe to your look. This conditioner is available in 10 beautiful colors.
- Delivers quick results
- Mineral oil-free
- Can leave a waxy film on your scalp
- Does not work on virgin hair
5. Best For Lightened Hair: Best For Hair Nourishment : Keracolor Color + Conditioner – Hot Pink
Color your hair while you cleanse and condition it! This dual-purpose product is designed to infuse color into your hair instantly with every wash. It adds stunning hues and maintains the vibrancy of your hair color without fading. It also adds strength, shine, and softness to your tresses. Its nourishing formula is enriched with keratin complex, coconut oil, shea butter, rosehip oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil. It works well on lightened hair. This multipurpose product is available in 19 colors. Try out the shade Hot Pink to channel your inner Barbie!
- Improves hair texture
- Long-lasting color
- Wide range of colors
- May stain the skin
6. Best For Hydration: Best For Dry Hair : Davines Alchemic Conditioner – Copper
This luxurious color conditioner is ideal for brown and warm red hair. It maintains and enhances the existing red tones in your hair. It also hydrates dry and rough hair. Its formula is infused with direct pigments that deposit color without an activator. It also contains hydrolyzed milk proteins that condition your hair and impart shine and silkiness to it. In addition, it protects your hair color from fading and maintains its vibrancy.
- Improves hair texture
- Adds shine
- Long-lasting results
- No side effects
- Slightly expensive
7. Best Natural Conditioner: Best For Gray Coverage : Best Earth Naturals Color Boost Color Enhancing Conditioner – Brown
No matter what shade of brown your hair is, the Color Boost Brown Color Enhancing Conditioner by Best Earth Naturals in the shade Brown will be your best companion. It can be used to add a temporary shade of brown to your hair or to enhance your natural hair color. It also covers up grays effectively. It is enriched with wheat protein that fortifies the hair strands to prevent breakage. Panthenol or vitamin B5 helps heal the scalp and promotes healthier hair growth. Chamomile enhances your hair color. This conditioner also locks in moisture and enhances the vibrancy of your hair color after each use.
- Enriched with natural ingredients
- Prevents breakage
- Covers up grays
8. Best For All Hair Types: Best For Hair Growth : oVertone Coloring Conditioner – Vibrant Purple
This color-depositing conditioner from oVertone in the shade Vibrant Purple is perfect for adding a blue-violet hue to platinum to light blonde hair. The formula is loaded with nourishing and hydrating oils like coconut oil to stimulate hair growth and encourage thicker hair and jojoba oil and avocado oil to prevent breakage. Other moisturizing ingredients, like glycerin and shea butter, offer anti-inflammatory benefits. This color depositing conditioner offers healthy hair and effortless color after every use. It is also available in a wide range of 40 shades.
- Offers quick results
- Suitable for all hair types and textures
- Artificial dye-free
- Wide range of shades
The CHI Ionic Color Illuminate Conditioner is a color enhancing formula specially formulated for natural light brown color. Just in one step, it offers color balance and preservation. It contains Silk Amino Complex that penetrates the cuticle and deposits color while moisturizing the hair. It maintains salon-fresh color on color-treated or natural hair color. It can be used weekly or more frequently, as desired.
- Suitable for all hair types
- Can be used as desired
- Effective formula
- Covers grays
This color-depositing conditioner in cinnamon canelle shade enhances the look and shine of natural warm brunettes. It conditions hair 10X times more without causing any dryness or damage. This vegan formula is suitable for all hair types.
- Ideal for light to medium brown bases
- Easy to use
- Very conditioning
- Suitable for all hair types
- The color can be a bit less
Though color-depositing conditioners are convenient for refreshing your hair color, they come with their own set of pros and cons. Check them all out below.
Pros And Cons Of Color-Depositing Conditioners
- You can use a color-depositing conditioner to refresh and enhance your existing hair color when it starts to fade. With each use, it replenishes the color pigments and helps to maintain your shade between appointments. With the help of these conditioners, you need touch-ups less often and your hair looks freshly colored at all times. It works especially wellfor colors like red and purple that tend to fade quickly.
- It can be used to get unique hair colors on pre-lightened hair. You can completely change your hair color or just slightly tint your hair, depending on your preference. It is perfect for anyone who does not want a permanent change in their hair color. You can also mix it with a regular conditioner to create soft pastel shades.
- It eliminates brassy and yellow tones from bleached or blonde hair. The pigments present in these conditioners help to combat the dullness and unwanted warm tones that can appear in between salon appointments. If your base hair color is darker, it still works to cancel out unwanted undertones as well.
- It helps to enhance the shine and porosity of your hair. Most of these conditioners are enriched with nourishing ingredients that make your hair look healthier and shinier.
- The results of most color-depositing conditioners are only noticeable on hair that has been bleached.
- Not following the instructions properly while using color-depositing conditioners might stain your scalp and the skin around your hairline. This is because the pigments in them can be very intense.
- Some color-depositing conditioners may leave your hair dry. So, it is important to apply deep conditioning treatments to prevent hair damage.
Color-depositing conditioners are a gentle and effective way to refresh your hair color. But, you need to take certain precautions while using them to get the best results. Let’s have a look at them!
Precautions To Take While Using Color-Depositing Conditioners
- Though color-depositing conditioners are rich in moisturizing agents, they are known to dry out hair if used too often. This happens because of the sulfates (cleansing chemicals) that are found in color-depositing formulas. To prevent dryness, apply a leave-in conditioner to your wet hair after stepping out of the shower.
- If you have gotten a Brazilian blowout and keratin treatment, avoid color-depositing conditioner completely.
- Avoid sleeping on light-colored bed sheets after using these products on your hair as they can stain the sheets.
- Apply the conditioner while you are in the shower for maximum control. This will prevent unnecessary staining of clothes or skin.
- Most color-depositing conditioners contain strong pigments. In some cases, it may take only a minute or two to achieve your desired color. So, keep checking the color what shade your hair has reached every few minutes to wash it off in time.
With the wide variety of color-depositing conditioners to choose from in the market, it can be confusing to pick the best one for your needs. Scroll down to check out the factors you need to consider while choosing the right conditioner for your colored hair.
How To Choose The Right Color-Depositing Conditioner For Your Hair – A Buying Guide
- Choose The Right Color
If you have light hair, the best option is to choose a tint conditioner that will enrich your hair color and neutralize the brassy tones. If you have dar hair, make sure that you choose a color depositing conditioner that explicitly states that it works on dark hair. A toning conditioner with orange and reddish tones is suitable if you already have a cool-toned color in your hair. It is also suitable for people with cooler skin tones.
- Check The Ingredients
Color-depositing conditioners should address your specific hair needs. You can do this by checking the list of ingredients on the packaging. For example, if your hair is fragile and prone to breakage, then it needs some protein. If you have dry hair, consider buying a conditioner with nourishing oils and extracts. Always look for color-depositing conditioners that are infused with natural ingredients. This will keep the softness and bounce of your hair intact.
Are you ready to plunge in? In the next section, let’s learn a few tips on how to use color-depositing conditioners.
How To Use Color-Depositing Conditioner
1. Wash Your Hair
Always start the process with freshly washed hair. First, use your regular shampoo as you normally would in the shower. Then, after washing your hair, take a washcloth or towel and scrunch your hair to get the excess water out of your hair. This is because the pigments in the conditioner won’t bind to your hair if it is drenching wet.
2. Section Your Hair
Divide your hair into manageable sections. Use clips to secure each section of hair. This will make it easier for you to work with your hair.
3. Apply The Conditioner
Grab your favorite color-depositing conditioner and apply it generously to each section of your hair. If you are looking for a pastel finish, you can dilute it with your regular conditioner. Then, use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the conditioner more evenly through your hair. You can also do this with your fingers if you are wearing a pair of gloves.
4. Leave The Product On For Some Time
Leave the conditioner in your hair for at least 5-15 minutes. Check the instructions on the packaging for the recommended duration. Leave it on for as long as it takes to get the desired shade. Set a timer if needed.
5. Rinse Off With Cold Water
Rinse your hair thoroughly using cold water. Make sure that the conditioner has washed off completely. Otherwise, it might leave patchy streaks and uneven color once your hair dries.
6. Style Your Hair
Blow-dry and style your hair how you like it. Make sure you apply a heat protectant before using any heat styling tools to prevent the color from fading.
Note: Before applying a color-depositing conditioner on your hair, make sure you perform a strand test to ensure that the product you are using suits your hair color. It will also give you a better idea about how long you should leave the conditioner on your hair.
A color-depositing conditioner can add a temporary boost of color to your hair between salon appointments. It can be used at home to infuse as much or as little color into your tresses as you like in a matter of minutes. To refresh the look of your red tresses, you can try out the BIOLAGE ColorBalm Color Depositing Conditioner – Red Poppy. For those who have lightened hair, the Best For Hair Nourishment : Keracolor Color + Conditioner is the best pick. If you are looking for various shade options, go ahead with the oVertone Coloring Conditioner. Pick your favorite color depositing conditioner from the ones listed above, and try it out now!
Why Trust Stylecraze
Oyendrila Kanjilal, the author of this article, is a hair care enthusiast. She loves trying out new products and reviewing them for her readers. Her recommendations on the best color-depositing conditioners are based on extensive research. She checked the product specifications and user feedback on different online platforms to shortlist the top-rated products for the list. The ones mentioned in this list are easy to apply and keep your hair color fresh and vibrant.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can color-depositing conditioner lighten your hair?
Color-depositing conditioners cannot lighten your hair. Instead, they alter the pigment in your hair for a slightly lighter appearance.
How long should I leave the color-depositing conditioner in my hair?
You should leave a color-depositing conditioner in your hair for at least 5-15 minutes. Check the instructions given on the packaging for the recommended duration.
often should you use color-depositing conditioners?
The frequency of using a color-depositing conditioner depends on the selected product. On average, you can use it every 2-3 weeks.
Does color-depositing conditioner wash out?
Yes, the color you get from using a color-depositing conditioner will wash out after 10-15 shampoos.
Can you make your own color-depositing conditioner?
Yes, you can make your own color-depositing conditioner at home. Simply mix a conditioner with hair dye in a 1:1 ratio. Preferably use a white-colored conditioner. You can also mix hair dye with a deep conditioning mask and apply it once a week for a color boost and deep conditioning treatment at once.
Can I put color-depositing conditioner on dry hair?
Yes, you can apply color-depositing conditioner to dry hair.
Can I put conditioner in hair dye?
Yes, but you can only mix conditioner with semi-permanent hair dyes. Permanent hair dyes that need a developer don’t mix well with any conditioner.
- Best 2-In-1 Shampoos And Conditioners To Buy
- Top Conditioners For Dry And Frizzy Hair
- Natural Conditioners For Dry Hair