Have you experienced the misery of a sleepless night and woke up grumpy the next day? A good night’s sleep can affect your mood and productivity. There are so many products available that promise to help us get a good night’s rest, and among them is the cooling pillow. The cooling pillow comes handy on Californian or Texan summer nights when just cranking up the AC isn’t enough. If you don’t want to wake up a grumpy bed-head zombie, we suggest that you stack up on some cooling pillows.
Don’t know much about them? Don’t sweat it since we bring you a list of the 15 best cooling pillows in the market to help make your life easier. To gain a better understanding of cooling pillows, here are two basic facts you ought to know about these pillows- what cooling pillows are and how they work.
What Are Cooling Pillows?
The Cooling Pillow, a.k.a, the ‘Cillow,’ is a scientifically designed pillow that regulates temperature and keeps you cool while you sleep. Made of breathable or memory foam, this pillow absorbs your body heat and cools it down until it reaches the optimal temperature. After that, the pillow maintains this temperature so you can have a good night’s rest.
How Do Cooling Pillows Work?
Cooling pillows are made from different materials like memory foam, breathable foam, gel, or graphite and most often than not are covered with Phase Changing Materials (PCM.) PCM is designed to absorb body heat until it reaches a suitable temperature, which it maintains for the rest of the night.
Now that the basics are clear, we have listed below 15 of the best cooling pillows for you to choose from.
Top 15 Cooling Pillows Picks for 2020
Highly rated by Good Housekeeping, Bustle, and The Insider, Coop Home Goods Eden Adjustable Pillow is one of the best options for light sleepers. This GREENGUARD Gold and CertiPUR-US certified pillow allows you to adjust the fill in your pillow to your liking. Its gel memory foam and microfiber filling regulates temperature and provides edge-to-edge support. With Lulltra fabric and polyester case, this pillow is soft and breathable. It is also hypoallergenic and dust-resistant, making it the ideal choice for people prone to allergies.
- Adjustable filling
- Provides edge-to-edge support
- Hypoallergenic and dust-resistant
- Slightly expensive
The most common complaint that people have against cooling pillows is that it can’t be used in winters. The Classic Brands Reversible Cool Gel Double Sided Pillow nullifies this charge once and for all! This pillow has dual functionality, with one gel layer on one side for summers and a memory foam layer for winters. It is designed to cradle your head gently and takes its shape to ensure maximum comfort. Its apt 5-inch raise makes it suitable for all sleep positions.
- 3-year warranty
- Mesh-knit cover is machine washable
- The gel has a strong smell
The Tempur-Pedic Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow has gel layers on both sides to keep you cool all-night-long. Its one-of-a-kind material molds itself to take the shape of your head for personalized comfort. Its durable cotton cover is long-lasting and 100% machine washable. This pillow is available in both king and queen sizes.
- Gel layer on both sides
- Material molds to take your head shape
- 100% machine washable
- Not very comfortable for people who prefer to sleep on their side
What makes the Classic Brands Cool Sleep Gel Foam Pillow so great is the fact that it not only regulates temperature, but its cool-pass performance knit absorbs sweat. Its soft medium push feel gives adequate support to your neck while sleeping. Its 4.5-inch loft makes it suitable for all sleep positions. As it is dust, mold, and bacteria-resistant, it doesn’t trigger allergic reactions.
- Medium push feel
- Effectively disperses your body heat
- Heavy and bulky in size
Everyone knows that you get the best sleep over the weekend! This pillow, much like its name, promises to give you that fantastic weekend-like sleep every night! Its pin core technology ventilates the pillow and allows for air circulation and temperature control. This product’s memory foam is CertiPUR US certified and ensures superior pressure relief and comfort. The pillowcase is easily removable and 100% machine washable.
- Ventilated design enables effective circulation of air
- CertiPUR US certified
- Machine-washable pillowcase
- Thin memory foam
Are you worried about your pillow going flat every few months? Not anymore, the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow is here to save the day! It’s shredded style combination never goes flat, and comes with a 20-years warranty! It provides optimal orthopedic support to your neck, stomach, and back to make sure you don’t wake up with any aches or pains. This pillow is CertiPUR US certified and free from harmful chemicals, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead, and other toxic substances.
- 20 years warranty
- Orthopedic support to neck, stomach, and back
The Maloufz Shredded Gel-Infused Memory Foam Pillow caters to everyone’s needs as it is available in king, queen, and travel size. Its patented Gel Dough formula makes you feel supported and comfortable in any sleep position. Its gel dough is enclosed in a gel dough sleeve to make sure that the filling is evenly distributed. Its bamboo and rayon case is machine washable and dryer friendly, making it super easy to clean.
- Available in king, queen, and travel size
- The pillowcase is hypoallergenic
- Slightly low in height
Have you tried many pillows, but can’t seem to find one with the perfect height and filling? If yes, then Xtreme Comforts Adjustable Thickness Kool-Flow Pillow is the one for you! This pillow allows customizable filling to suit your needs and comfort. Its shredded foam design effortlessly takes the shape of your head, thereby supporting your head and neck. Its Kool-flow Micro-vented bamboo cover makes it breathable and enables air circulation.
- Adjustable thickness
- Enables air circulation and breathability
- May get lumpy
Sleeping on the Perfect Cloud Double Airflow Memory Foam Pillow feels like sleeping on clouds! Here’s why. Its perfect height and density enhance the sleeping experience, especially if you are a side sleeper. Its unique ventilated foam guarantees to keep you cool, even on the hottest nights. Its easily removable zipper allows for easy washing and reinstalling.
- Especially designed for side sleepers
- Ventilated foam keeps you cool
- Heavy and bulky
Stuffed with grey goose feathers, sleeping on this pillow will make you feel like royalty! The Puredown Natural Goose Down Feather Pillow is made from best-in-the-market imported cotton. Its gorgeous double diamond lattice quilting and piping avoid any pricking from feathers. With a few pats in the morning, this pillow quickly regains its original shape. Certified by OXIPOWER, this pillow is completely odorless and lightweight.
- 100% cotton case
- Grey goose filling
- Odorless and lightweight
- This pillow is too soft and may not be suitable for people who prefer medium or hard pillows.
Say goodbye to waking up with a sore back and shoulder pains with the PharMeDoc Memory Foam Cooling Reversible Orthopedic Pillow! Its soft memory foam supports your neck and back while you adopt your most comfy sleeping position. It can be used on both sides as it has the cooling gel on one side and memory foam on the other. Its smart gel technology keeps you cool all night long.
- Suitable for people with back and shoulder pains
- Lifetime warranty
- May have a strong smell
Made from pure cotton, this pillow is so comfortable and soft, it must have been the pillow Goldilocks slept on! It is tailored to perfection to suit any sleep position, on the back, side, or the stomach. These pillows are mold and mildew resistant and allergen-free. This pillow ensures that no filling shifts giving you all the support you need to have a good night’s rest. Its white case is stain-resistant and machine washable, so you don’t have to stress about keeping them clean.
- Designed with plush material
- Mildew resistant and allergen-free
- Not suitable for people with orthopedic problems
The Clara Clark Bamboo Foam Pillow will have you sleeping like a baby in no time! Its shredded memory foam supports your head and neck to keep you snug and comfy all night. Its self-adjusting memory foam keeps migraines, back pain, and snoring at bay. This pillow is also available in king and queen sizes.
- Back and neck support
- Available in king and queen sizes
- May get flat easily
Rated as Wirecutter’s No.1 body pillow, the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow is perfect for sleeping on or snuggling. Its rectangle design provides ample orthopedic support for the body while sleeping on the side, stomach, or in any other position. This pillow is CertiPUR US certified hypoallergenic and free from harmful chemicals, PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead, etc.
- CertiPUR US certified
- Dust resistant
The Z Gelled Microfiber Bed Pillow’s gel-infused microfibers offer superior feel and comfort. This pillow is a must-have for people who suffer from allergies as it is allergen-free and resistant to dust. With a relaxing ‘down feel’ and 5-inch lift, this pillow is sure to send you to dreamland without much tossing and turning.
- Sinks in after multiple uses
Now that we have listed the best cooling pillows out there let us run you through an intensive buying manual that will help you make a smart choice.
Buying Guide – Shopping For The Best Cooling Pillow
Finding the right pillow isn’t as easy as it may seem. It is vital to understand the fabric, filling, and other features to make sure that it is the right one for you. This guide that we have put together for you is sure to help in the process of finding the perfect cooling pillow.
What To Consider When Choosing A Cooling Pillow
Having the wrong pillow can give you sleepless nights and cause muscle catches and pains. Therefore, researching your options before considering buying them is the best way to go. Here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Temperature Neutrality- The fundamental function of a cooling pillow is to regulate temperature. It works by absorbing body heat until it reaches optimal temperature and then maintains it.
- Noise- While most other pillows make creaking sounds when weight is laid on it, cooling pillows don’t, as they are made of materials like latex and memory foam.
- Support- One of the significant benefits of using cooling pillows is that they mold themselves to take the shape of your head. Thus, giving you maximum support and comfort.
- Pain and pressure relief- some cooling pillows are orthopedically designed to provide support to your back, neck, and shoulder. This, in turn, reduces pain and muscle tension.
- Durability- Cooling pillows, especially ones that are made of latex or cotton, are highly durable and can be used for many years.
- Cost- the pricing of cooling pillows is higher than regular pillows, owing to their material, construction, and features.
- Weight- Cooling pillows are heavier than the regular ones, as they may have gel-infused foams or gel fillings.
- Odor- One of the biggest complaints against cooling pillows is that they have a strong odor owing to latex or gel. While most pillows lose this smell after being exposed to direct sunlight, some don’t.
- Allergy potential- for people who are allergic to latex or rubber, buying a cooling pillow may not be the best idea as it might trigger allergies.
- Maintenance- These pillows require more care than regular pillows. Cooling pillows made of memory foam need to be fluffed regularly to maintain shape. Latex ones need to be dry cleaned.
- Availability- Since cooling pillows are not as widely used, they can be harder to find in stores. Therefore, buying them online is a better option.
There are two kinds of cooling pillows, gel, and water cooling pillows. Each has features that are unique to them, making it essential to understand the difference before making your choice.
Types Of Cooling Pillows
Cooling Pillows fall under two categories depending on what they contain-
- Gel Pillows- these pillows are the most common type of cooling pillows. They are often combined with memory foam to ensure comfort. The primary function of the gel in the pillow is to keep it cool. Its effectiveness depends on the quality of the gel used.
- Water Pillows- Water-based cooling pillows provide excellent support to your neck and back. The only flipside to them is that they can be a tad bit noisy while turning in your sleep.
Cooling pillows are made of different materials and have different stuffings, from memory foam to latex. Understanding the material of your pillow will help you gauge which one suits you best.
Common Filling Materials In Cooling Pillows
- Cotton- A majority of cooling pillows are made of cotton or have a cotton case. This is because cotton enables better ventilation and has a soft texture and comfort. Among the different kinds of cotton, Egyptian cotton and Pima are the best.
- Rayon from bamboo- some pillows have rayon covers, as this material is known to be soft and cool.
- Phase-Change material- This material helps absorb body heat and maintain it when it gets to an ideal temperature.
- Copper- Companies use copper in cooling pillows as they help maintain a cool temperature and enhance blood flow while sleeping.
Cooling pillows are made in four different sizes, so you can experience maximum comfort while you sleep. Picking a size that caters to your sleeping habits and patterns allows you to get the best out of your cooling pillow.
What Are The Different Sizes Of Cooling Pillows
Cooling pillows are available in the following sizes:
- Standard- this size is widely available and most cost-efficient among the lot.
- Queen- these pillows are 4 inches longer than standard pillows. They are best suited for people who tend to move a lot in their sleep.
- King- 10 inches bigger than the standard pillow, the king size is the biggest and most luxurious size available. Like, the queen size, this one too is suitable for people who tend to turn and toss in their sleep.
- Specialty- this cooling pillow is 24 inches wide and 16 inches long in dimension.
So everything boils down to one question: is buying a cooling pillow the right choice for you? To help answer this question, here are a few tips that will be of help.
Who Should Buy A Cooling Pillow
- If you experience sleepless nights because of sweating and excess heat, then investing in a cooling pillow is a good idea, as it regulates and maintains temperature.
- A cooling pillow might be beneficial to people with sleeping disorders, as it helps cool down your prefrontal cortex, thus helping to sleep better.
- Cooling pillows are mostly of a medium loft, which side sleepers prefer.
- Light sleepers, who are easily disturbed by noise, might find cooling pillows helpful as they produce minimum to zero noise.
Now that you are convinced that cooling pillows are the way to go, be sure to give these buying tips a read before you make your final decision.
Buying Tips For Cooling Pillows
With a rise in the demand for cooling pillows, they have become easily accessible in both brick and mortar stores and online retailers. Before investing in a cooling pillow, you must be in a position to make an informed choice.
The first thing to remember is that these pillows are more expensive than non-cooling pillows. They can range from $60 to $200. Most retailers allow you to try samples of cooling pillows at a minimal price, to determine which suits you best. Doing this is always a good idea as you get to experience all options.
The cost of maintaining a cooling pillow is higher than a low maintenance standard pillow. While non-cooling pillows can be machine washed, most cooling pillows cannot. Latex cooling pillows need to be spot cleaned regularly, while shredded memory foam ones need to be dry cleaned.
Cooling pillows are gaining popularity, and owning one during the horrid summer can save you from the hassle of having a night of disturbed sleep. We are sure that with this post, we have answered all your queries and shared with you all you need to know about cooling pillows.
If you still have questions, suggestions, or anything else on your mind, be sure to let us know in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
How long do cooling pillows stay cool?
Gel and water cooling pillows work by expelling the body heat and maintaining it once it reaches a desirable, cool temperature. They take about 15 to 20 minutes to reach this temperature, after which you can feel the coolness. The duration that it will stay cool depends on its size, room temperature, and the quality of the pillow. A good quality pillow can keep you cool all night long, while low-quality ones may not.
Do cooling pillows lose their cooling ability?
Most cooling pillows are highly durable and long-lasting if cared for properly. While most latex cooling pillows have shown to have a lifespan of multiple years, pillows that are of low quality can lose their coolness and become ineffective.
Latest posts by Atulya Satishkumar (see all)
- 11 Best Cruelty-Free Drugstore Mascaras Of 2020 - July 9, 2020
- 11 Best Mascaras For Bottom Lashes (Lower Lashes) Of 2020 - June 29, 2020
- 11 Best Yellow Nail Polishes To Wear This Summer - June 29, 2020
- 13 Best Magnetic Nail Polishes Of 2020 - June 25, 2020
- 13 Best Water-Based Primers Of 2020- A Buying Guide - June 25, 2020