Do you trip, fall, or struggle while practicing yoga? You may want to use your supposed lack of balance or clumsiness as an excuse to give up on working out. However, a simple switch to a cork yoga mat can solve your problem. Cork yoga mats are durable, non-slip, and natural alternatives to your regular yoga mats! They are made with sustainable and recyclable materials that are antimicrobial and odor-resistant. This means you do not have to spend lots of time cleaning and maintaining it. Cork yoga mats are the perfect choice for environmentally conscious yogis! Keep reading to learn more about the benefits and versatility of cork yoga mats.
In This Article
13 Best Cork Yoga Mats Available Right Now
Lotuscrafts Cork Yoga Mat is made with sustainable and recyclable materials such as natural cork and Thermoplastic Elastomers (TPE). Thus, this ecologically friendly cork yoga mat is an excellent choice for those hot and sweaty yoga sessions. It is also slip-resistant and sweatproof. It ensures your safety and comfort while working out. It does not contain latex or plasticizers, so it does not have that typical rubbery smell often associated with yoga mats. This also means it is lightweight and easy to carry. The natural materials of this mat are self-cleansing and odor-repellent.
- Sweatproof surface
- Made with 100% sustainable and recyclable materials
- Suitable for hot yoga
- Not durable
Gurus Sprout Natural Cork Yoga Mat is an ideal travel mat as it is lightweight and compact. This eco-friendly mat is 4 mm thick and made with high-quality, sustainably sourced, and durable cork. It has TPE on the top and a flexible bottom. Thus, it offers a great grip and strong support to the body, ensuring that you do not lose your balance while practicing complex, Aerial Yoga, gravity-defying yoga poses!
The natural cork material gets “gripper” with moisture, so all the sweat you drip on it will only make it more resistant to skidding. It also does not absorb heat and offers great traction on all kinds of surfaces, making it suitable for outdoor yoga and workout sessions. It is odor-free and easy to clean.
- Great grip on all kinds of surfaces
- Easy to clean
- Suitable for outdoor use
- Warps at the corners
Gaiam Cork Yoga Mat is a dual-sided mat with a reversible design. It gives you an extra option to flip the mat when you crave a change. The unique texture of this mat, along with its 5 mm thickness, offers superior grip and comfort. This mat is made with premium-quality materials that are biodegradable, non-toxic, and recyclable. It is soft and odorless and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Non-slip grip
- Eco-friendly and sustainable
- Lifetime warranty
- Free of 6 harmful phthalates
- Odor resistant
- Non-toxic TPE rubber backing
- Suitable for hot yoga and pilates
- Free Gaiam yoga classes with every purchase
- Does not lay completely flat
If you are into different styles of yoga – such as Bikram, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and hot yoga – then you understand the importance of having a good non-slip yoga mat. This 5 mm thick cork yoga mat is made with 100% natural and biodegradable oak cork and 100% recyclable elastic TPE. It is free from toxic substances such a PVC and latex. It is soft, comfortable, and skid-resistant even during the most demanding workout sessions. Its soft foam base improves balance and stability. It has a beautiful ‘Flower of Life’ laser printed in white in one corner. This hypoallergenic and breathable mat can be used by beginners and experienced yogis alike.
- Offer excellent traction
- Comes with a shoulder strap
- Does not get hot
- Modern and stylish design
- Naturally sustainable and recyclable
- Suitable for pilates, hot yoga, and outdoor workouts
- May flake after a few uses
Repose Eco-Friendly Yoga Mat is larger than regular mats, so it is spacious and comfortable for people of all shapes and sizes. This soft, non-slip mat supports your knees, hips, spine, and other compression points when you work out. It is made with natural cork and rubber that are not only toxin-free but can also naturally resist the growth of mold, mildew, and bacteria. This environmentally responsible brand uses only sustainable and high-quality materials that are biodegradable or recyclable. This gorgeous mat is the perfect gift for yoga enthusiasts.
- Made with responsibly-sourced materials
- Comes with a shoulder strap
This premium quality yoga mat is made of two recycled materials – cork and rubber. The non-slip surface provides a firm and comfortable grip. Whether it is vinyasa yoga, bikram yoga, ashtanga yoga, yin yoga, and restorative yoga, this cork mat is ideal for hot practice. The cork is renewable and recyclable, obtained through one of the world’s most environment-friendly harvesting methods. The non-toxic rubber surface provides cushion-like comfort without hampering your balance. The closed cells stay fresh and keep the mat odor-free.
- Non-slip grip
- Might crack
Valka Yoga Cork Mat will turn heads at your yoga studio! The intricate elephant design on this mat is absolutely beautiful. This designer travel mat is soft, foldable, lightweight, and easy to carry. Its dual-sided design makes it versatile. You can use the cork side for practicing different forms of yoga. Flip over and use the other side for HIIT, pilates, or floor exercises. The Portuguese cork and 100% natural rubber of this mat lend it flexibility, grip, and durability. It is free from harmful chemicals such as phthalates, toxic adhesives, and PVCs. This eco-friendly product is odorless and made with plant-based inks.
- Dual-sided design
- Beautiful design
This cork yoga mat is a great choice if you are looking for a recyclable, biodegradable, and non-slip yoga mat. It is made with 100% organic cork from regenerated Portuguese oak and natural rubber. It is free from PVC, phthalates, adhesives, glue, and latex. This mat is perfect for restorative yoga, pilates, and stretching as it offers superior grip and support. Its waterproof material absorbs sweat and fights the growth of bacteria and mildew.
- Suitable for tall people
- Recyclable and biodegradable
- Cork may peel off after a few uses
This all-natural and sustainable cork yoga mat is inspired by the Satori philosophy of connecting with your true self. The unique logo reflects the beautiful motto. This mat offers excellent grip and provides stability and support so your workout sessions are safe and comfortable. It is made with organic cork and recycled rubber and without ant PVCs, silicones, phthalates, TPEs, and toxic glues. It is sweat-resistant and odor-resistant.
- Portable and travel friendly
- Loses traction after a few months
Body By Yoga Training Cork Yoga Mat is created by yoga instructors keeping in mind the intrinsic needs of yoga practitioners. It is made with premium-quality materials that are durable and sturdy. The mat contains 6 times more cork than regular mats, which ensures extra support, stability, and comfort. It is innovatively designed to provide extra padding to the knees and elbows, especially during strenuous poses.
- Extra padding and support
- Suitable for all types of yoga
Masdery Cork Yoga Mat is an eco-friendly, all-natural, and organic mat that is free from toxic chemicals. The recyclable cork and natural rubber in it absorb water and improve the grip as you sweat. The mat comes with a strap which makes it easy to carry. It is perfect for floor exercises, hot yoga, and pilates.
- Free from harmful chemicals
- High quality
- The ink bleeds quickly
The Coreasana Cork Yoga Mat is designed for people who love to travel and practice yoga on the go. It is perfect for trips and camping or to cover a regular yoga mat. This ultra-light and thin mat has an earth-friendly natural surface that allows you to balance and align with the seven chakras as you flow. You can easily clean it with a damp cloth or vinegar solution.
- Thin material
- Travel compatible
New Balance Cork Yoga Mat is lightweight and TPE-backed which provides extra stability and balance. This biodegradable mat has textured ridges that prevent it from slipping, reducing the chances of injury. It also has a closed-cell design that seals out germs and unpleasant odors. This sustainable yoga mat also repels moisture, rendering it sweat-resistant. Thus, it does not need extensive cleaning or maintenance.
- Easy to clean
- Not very thick
- Curls up easily
Those were our best picks for cork yoga mats that are currently available. Now, let us learn more about the important factors to look into while selecting a cork yoga mat.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Cork Yoga Mat
- Material: Look for mats made of sustainable and high-quality cork. They should also be free from toxic chemicals. This ensures your safety and comfort. Look for SGS-certified products.
- Thickness: Yoga mats that are thick lie flat on the floor and provide your body with much-needed support. Look for mats with 4-6 mm thickness. If the mat is too thick, your body will sink and make it difficult to exercise.
- Backing: Make sure you choose mats that have “natural” backing materials that provide greater grip as they stick to different surfaces easily. It is important to select materials that are biodegradable and recyclable. This also eliminates mats with harmful chemicals such as phthalates, silicones, PVCs, and adhesive glues.
- Size: Keep the dimensions of the mat in mind. Look for mats that are long and wide so that there is more space to practice yoga comfortably.
- Price: High-quality materials are more expensive. However, this also ensures the mat lasts longer without peeling or flaking. So, it is advisable to invest in a good-quality cork mat.
If you are still wondering why cork is the perfect material for a yoga mat, check out the next section.
4 Reasons Why Cork Is The Perfect Yoga Mat Material
- l Eco-Friendly: Cork yoga mats are made of cork that is sourced from regenerated oak trees. They are responsibly harvested so that no trees are cut. This means the cork is renewable, recyclable, biodegradable, and environmentally sustainable. The bonus is that the harvested trees also absorb 5x more carbon dioxide than non-harvested ones.
- Antimicrobial And Odor-Resistant: The natural properties of cork prevent the growth of microorganisms. Therefore, it keeps bacteria, germs, mildew, and odor at bay. This also means that you will have to spend less time cleaning it.
- l Lightweight: Cork is sturdy yet lightweight, making it portable and travel-friendly. These high-density corks mats are better than rubber mats in this aspect.
- l Durable And Sweat-Resistant: Cork is extremely durable and ideal for strenuous workouts. Its grip improves when wet, so it offers better traction as you sweat. You can also add a few drops of water to ensure that it stays put. You can do away with a towel during your hot yoga sessions as these mats absorb sweat.
- l Support And Anti-Slip: The cellular structure of cork provides a natural cushioning effect. Thus, it supports your body as you work out. The material is comfortable, soft, and gentle on your joints.
Thus, cork yoga mats are natural, comfortable, durable, and environmentally-safe! So, how are these mats made? Keep reading to find out!
How Are Cork Yoga Mats Made?
The outer bark from oak trees is stripped to source cork, which is used to make cork yoga mats. The bark grows back, so it is an environmentally friendly practice. The cork is cleaned, treated, and dried to make it suitable for the manufacturing process. Another core component of yoga mats is rubber. Most companies use 100% recyclable natural rubber to make the base of these yoga mats. It is important to make sure the mat is free from plastics, adhesives, silicones, and phthalates. Minimalist designs with plant-based inks are used to decorate the mats.
How Do You Clean A Cork Yoga Mat?
Cork Yoga mats are easy to clean. You can spray them with warm water and vinegar once a week. You can customize the cleaning solution by adding witch hazel or a few drops of essential oil such as lavender, lemongrass, or eucalyptus. You can wipe it with a clean cloth and leave it to air-dry.
Precaution: Do not damage your mat by scrubbing it hard with a brush or an abrasive sponge.
Cork yoga mats are an eco-friendly choice. These naturally sustainable mats are durable, recyclable, sustainable, and comfortable. They provide excellent support to the body while ensuring that you don’t lose balance or slip. Go ahead and buy one of the cork yoga mats listed above to reap its many benefits!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does cork smell?
Cork has a natural earthy smell that disappears over time. The woody smell is not a deterrent for most people. You can spritz it with your favorite essential oils lift your mood and mask the smell.
How strong is the grip offered by cork yoga mats?
Cork offers a great grip! Its grip improves with added moisture. All the sweat you drip during your yoga sessions is absorbed by the mat, which helps it stick better to the floor. This ensures the mat does not slip or slide, thus reducing the risk of injury.
Are cork yoga mats safe?
Natural cork is free from toxins and safe for both your body and environment. It provides great support and prevents you from losing balance and slipping while working out.
What material is used to make the backing of cork yoga mats?
Natural rubber is the most common material used for the backing of cork yoga mats. It offers excellent traction and support. 100% recyclable rubber that is free from harmful chemicals like PVCs, glues, and phthalates is also recommended.
How do I care for my cork yoga mat?
Cork yoga mats are low-maintenance. They do not need much attention. You can clean yours once a week by spraying a water and vinegar solution on it. Leave it air-dry to get rid of any unpleasant smells before your next workout session.
Are cork yoga mats expensive?
The price of the cork yoga mat is dependent on the quality of its materials. Generally, cork yoga mats are pricier than regular yoga mats as they are made with premium-quality, non-toxic materials. These mats are durable and environmentally safer than standard yoga mats.
- Top 13 Yoga Mats Of 2020 To Buy Online
- 15 Best Yoga Towels Of 2020 – A Complete Buying Guide
- 11 Best Thick Yoga Mats
- 15 Best Non-Slip Yoga Mats Of 2020 – Reviews And Buying Guide