If you have been looking for the best cruelty-free makeup remover, you have landed in the right place! With more and more brands making an effort to go cruelty-free, you as a consumer can help put that into effect at the user end. Opting to switch to cruelty-free options of the few makeup products that you use daily like lip gloss, mascara, and makeup remover can help make a huge difference with your small step every day. Along with that, you need to make sure that the makeup remover not only cleanses your skin but also keeps it hydrated and well-balanced as well. To help you pick the best cruelty-free makeup remover for yourself, we have enlisted the 13 best options for you!
In This Article
13 Best Cruelty-Free Makeup Removers of 2022
Cleansing, healing, and nourishing, that’s Era Organics Cleansing Oil and Makeup Remover for you. Packed with the goodness of argan oil, rosemary, sunflower oil, and jojoba oil, your skin will feel refreshed after every wash. On days when you are exhausted, this organic makeup remover acts as a moisturizer too, so you needn’t worry about natural oils being stripped after cleansing. Suitable for dry, acne, damaged, wrinkled, and sensitive skin, this cleansing oil and makeup remover promises to be tough on makeup and soft on your skin to help it replenish after a long day. Also, it has anti-aging properties!
- Gently removes makeup
- Nourishes with natural ingredients
- Rejuvenates skin and repairs natural barrier
- Suitable for dry to sensitive skin
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles
- Prevents premature aging
- Cruelty-free, sulfate-free, alcohol-free
- Not recommended for oily skin
- Not ideal for removing waterproof eye makeup
Removing waterproof makeup, especially eye makeup can be extremely frustrating at times. But not with InstaNatural Rose Makeup Cleansing Balm. It promises to remove the stubborn makeup (waterproof or not), dirt, lipstick, and other impurities while leaving the skin hydrated. The other benefit of the balm is that it can be used on no-makeup days as well to nourish the skin with the natural ingredients such as rose extract, manuka honey, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and geranium oil. And not for once does the balm feel oily as it quickly dissolves into water and turns into a facial cleanser that repairs, rejuvenates skin, and soothes dryness. Here’s a video to help you know more about this product.
- Removes waterproof makeup easily
- Nourishes and hydrates skin
- Eliminates dryness and softens skin
- Leaves no oily or grease post-cleansing
- Doubles up as a moisturizer
- Suitable for normal to dry skin
- Cruelty-free and chemical-free
- Not recommended for sensitive or oily skin
- Strong fragrance
This alcohol-free makeup remover is one of the best options if you have sensitive skin, eyes, and nose! Yes, it is fragrance-free, chemical-free, and hypoallergenic which means it is compatible with acne-prone skin as well. Enriched with organic ingredients like coconut oil, organic aloe, and Vitamin E, consider your skin cleansed, moisturized, and nourished. Dealing with wrinkles too? This natural makeup remover also contains grapeseed oil that eases wrinkles and fine lines. Ultra-hydrating and suitable for normal to oily skin, be prepared to feel the softest version of your skin and say goodbye to redness and irritation forever.
- Gently removes impurities and promote cellular renewal
- 70% organic and vegan product
- Hydrates and nourishes with natural ingredients
- Suitable for sensitive skin and acne-prone skin
- Prevents premature aging
- No redness or irritation
- Hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and cruelty-free
- Runny consistency
No matter how tough your makeup may act, it stands no chance against NYX Eye & Lip Makeup Remover! What about waterproof makeup? Consider it cleansed. But don’t let this tough act give you the idea that this makeup remover may irritate your skin. This water and oil high-grade solution contains all-natural elements like oils, rice, soy, papaya, and orange fruit extracts to give your skin a healthy and hydrated boost in every wash.
- Cleans waterproof makeup
- Does not irritate the skin
- Nourishes with all-natural ingredients
- Boosts hydration
- Gentle and effective
- The solution separates and has to be shaken every time before use.
Do you end up over-scrubbing your skin while removing makeup? Stop and try this cruelty-free micellar water which is also a boon if you have oily skin. Free from all harsh chemicals and non-toxic, this makeup remover will not only remove all the impurities, dirt, sweat, and makeup but also enhance your complexion. Reducing the risk of breakouts and replenishing the natural barrier of your skin, the solution is mineral oil-free and more like natural beauty water with sweet orange essential oil. Also, this product is vegan, safe for the skin, and the Earth too.
- Non-toxic and soothing cleansing water
- Removes the toughest makeup gently
- Enhances complexion
- Ultra-nourishing with sweet orange essential oil
- Replenish and hydrates
- Mineral oil-free, cruelty-free, and chemical-free
- Strong fragrance
- May not be effective enough on waterproof makeup
Not a fan of liquid makeup removers? Here’s a convenient and mess-free option for you. These Almay Makeup Remover Pads may look all soft and cushiony but they can work against the most stubborn makeup! All you have to do is gently wipe your skin with these makeup wipes and voila! You have soft, refreshed, and clear skin in seconds. Since these pads are infused with a botanical blend of aloe, green tea, and cucumber, they are effectively hydrating and nourishing. Need more reasons why you should pick these makeup removing pads? They are hypoallergenic, dermatologist and ophthalmologist-tested, fragrance-free, and cruelty-free. This video takes you through this product’s details.
- Ideal for removing waterproof eye makeup
- Unique blend of natural ingredients
- Mess-free and fragrance-free
- Ophthalmologist and dermatologist-tested
- Leaves no oily residue
- Not recommended for acne-prone skin
- Can be a bit greasy
Get rid of eye and face makeup, the “extra gentle” way! More like TLC for your skin, this creamy solution soothes with the richness of herbal extracts as it wipes away all the impurities. Be it water-resistant, waterproof or those stubborn mascaras, this fragrance-free makeup remover promises clean and refreshed skin with no irritation, even around the eye area. 100% vegan, organic, paraben-free, and cruelty-free, it is a worthy option for all those who want their makeup-free skin to look flawless too.
- Extra gentle makeup remover
- Removes waterproof eye makeup effortlessly
- Soothes and moisturizes skin
- Non-irritant and non-drying formula
- Fragrance-free, cruelty-free, and paraben-free
- 100% vegan product
- It may sting if you have very sensitive skin.
Confused which natural cruelty-free makeup remover to choose for sensitive skin? Try Paula’s Choice Gentle Touch Makeup Remover. True to its name, it is ultra-gentle, leaves no oily residue or dryness, only hydrated and happy skin. What’s the secret? The exceptionally soothing aloe vera that along with green tea, allantoin, and glycerin gently enriches as you clean the skin. Irrespective of how long-lasting and adherent the makeup maybe, this solution will work its magic, even if you have acne-prone, fine lines, or sensitive skin. With no synthetic fragrances or parabens to worry about, this product was also never tested on animals.
- Non-irritating, non-drying, and skin-softening solution
- Cleans, hydrates and soothes skin
- Suitable for acne-prone and sensitive skin
- Eases fine lines and wrinkles
- Leaves no oily residue or redness
- Fragrance-free, paraben-free, and cruelty-free
- Not ideal for removing waterproof mascaras
When it comes to oily skin, trust a gel formula to do the magic for you. Other than being non-sticky, this makeup remover gel by Bliss has a gentle, cool, and effective formula that removes the makeup completely, thus leaving your skin glowing fresh. The solution contains hydrogel which is ultra-soothing and mild cleansing agents derived from coconut oil that ensures your skin’s natural oils stay intact. Give your skin a mega-boost of hydration during the cleansing process, and also, with this gel makeup remover, your EOD makeup routine will always be hassle-free!
- Non-greasy, non-sticky, and refreshing gel formula
- Removes the makeup gently and thoroughly
- Does not disturb the natural oils
- Hydrates and softens skin
- No toxic chemicals
- It may sting around the eyes.
Keep it classic and organic with this makeshift makeup remover that can also be used for other hair and skincare purposes. Dr. Bronner’s Regenerative Organic Coconut Oil is expeller-pressed from fresh coconut kernels. It is virgin, unrefined, and extremely beneficial for the skin. Also, using coconut oil is a time-honored technique to remove any type of makeup (ask your mom or grandma!). So, if you are looking for an all-natural, chemical-free, and gentle option to remove makeup and nourish the skin, this could be it.
- Organic, virgin and unrefined coconut oil
- Gently removes any type of makeup
- Extremely nourishing and soothes skin
- Chemical-free and cruelty-free
- It can be used for other skincare, haircare, and edible purposes.
- It may not work on waterproof makeup.
It is no secret that coconut oil is packed with highly moisturizing and hydrating benefits. Maple Holistics 100% Pure Coconut Oil can be used as a makeup remover and cleansing solution too. Not only does it lift off the makeup from your skin but delivers a boost of nutrition that prevents redness and softens the skin. Renewing the skin’s natural barrier and promising a therapeutic experience, this coconut oil is rich in vitamin E and has anti-aging benefits too.
- 100% pure and organic coconut oil
- Hydrates skin with the richness of vitamin E
- Gently cleans makeup
- Prevents redness or irritation
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Prevents aging
- Non-toxic and cruelty-free
- Not suitable for waterproof makeup
Losing those precious lashes every time you remove your eye makeup? Switch to a gentler and effective solution like this ever-advanced eye make-up remover by Alba Botanica. With a powerful marine complex formula packed with botanicals like aloe leaf juice and sea algae, consider those lashes cleansed and nourished at the same time! Gently dissolving waterproof eye makeup without triggering any irritation around the eyes, the solution is oil-free and hypoallergenic.
- Gently cleans and nourishes lashes
- Power-packed with natural ingredients
- Conditions the lashes
- Oil-free and hypoallergenic formula
- 100% vegan makeup remover
- Chemical-free and cruelty-free
- Waterproof eye makeup may require more effort to remove
- Not suitable for very sensitive skin
If your skin turns red or stings every time you remove makeup, then you need an ultra-gentle formula like Embryolisse Micellaire Lotion. Enhanced with gentle cleansing agents (micelles) along with cornflower, chamomile, witch-hazel, and glycerin, the solution promises to gently wipe the impurities, even waterproof makeup and leave the skin radiant, soft, and toned. Suitable for sensitive skin, it is easy-to-use, handy, and leaves a pleasant fragrance on your skin.
- Ultra-gentle makeup remover
- Ideal for sensitive skin
- Enhances complexion
- Eliminates all types of makeup
- Paraben-free makeup remover
- Not suitable for those who are sensitive to smell
- It may feel sticky.
Go chemical-free and cruelty-free with these gentle and nourishing makeup removers! And if you are not sure which one to pick, read our buying guide below:
How To Choose The Best Cruelty-Free Makeup Remover?
Most of the cruelty-free makeup removers will have either “not tested on animals”, “no animal-produced ingredients”, “100% vegan”, or “Peta certified” included on their labels or features. Also, most of the cruelty-free makeup removers are made of natural products, so it’s a clear win-win for your skin and you. Besides this, here are some points you must look out for to pick the best makeup remover:
- It should suit your skin type.
- Choose a makeup remover that can work gently yet effectively on waterproof makeup so you don’t have to purchase one separately.
- A makeup remover should be non-drying, non-irritating, and nourishing to give your skin the dual benefits.
- Pick a hypoallergenic formula so you don’t have to worry about skin irritation or breakouts.
Types Of Make Removers
There are three types of makeup removers:
- Liquid Makeup Removers – Ideal for dry to normal skin, liquid makeup removers have a thin consistency and are used with cotton balls or pads to remove the makeup diligently. However, it is not necessary that liquid makeup removers will be as moisturizing as the cream-based removers.
- Cream Makeup Removers – A more luxurious and nourishing option that will swiftly cleanse the skin from impurities and leave it feeling soft and hydrated. Cream-based makeup removers are ideal for very dry to normal skin.
- Gel-based Makeup Removers – If you have combination or oily-skin, gel-based makeup removers are the best option. Most of them are oil-free and will leave no oily or greasy feeling after cleaning.
- Makeup Remover Wipes – Hassle-free and mess-free, makeup remover wipes are available for different skin types. These are ideal for those who are always on the go or not a fan of solution-dispensing products. Also, there are brands offering wipes packed with enriching natural ingredients making them the most preferred choice amongst makeup lovers.
Harsh chemical-based makeup removers can leave residue on the skin and dry out your face. It’s time to ditch those makeup removers and opt for gentle cruelty-free removers that remove hard makeup residues like eyeliners, mascaras, and lipsticks makeups and hydrate and moisturize the skin and keep the skin soft and supple. These removers are cruelty-free and hypoallergenic. However, some products may not be suit all skin types. So, read the reviews well before choosing one, and if you have sensitive skin, it’s always wise to do a patch test first.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Chaitra Krishnan, the author of this article, is a makeup enthusiast who recommends cruelty-free products. She keeps studying and reviewing new products in this range. Her strong knowledge of makeup trends and products helped her curate this well-researched article on cruelty-free makeup removers for her readers. The products mentioned here help keep your skin hydrated and well-balanced without the guilt of harming innocent beings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Micellar Water Is Cruelty-Free?
Beauty by Earth Makeup Remover’s solution is enhanced with micellar water which also makes it a great choice for oily skin.
Is Cetaphil Cruelty-Free?
No, Cetaphil is not cruelty-free.
Why Should I Buy Cruelty-Free Cosmetics?
Cruelty-free cosmetics should be an ideal choice because testing cosmetics on animals is inhumane and barbaric. Hence why animal lovers and PETA are working towards banning animal testing worldwide. Another reason is that cruelty-free cosmetics contain natural and more beneficial ingredients.
How Do You Use A Balm or Oil To Remove Makeup?
To remove makeup with cleansing balms: Avoid using water or washing your makeup before using a balm. Take a scoop enough to cover your entire face and neck area. Warm it on your palm for a few seconds and then apply it on your face while massaging in circular motions. After a minute, wash it with a warm cloth or lukewarm water.
To remove makeup with cleansing oils: Before applying cleansing oil, rinse your face with warm or lukewarm water. Pat dry with a towel and then proceed to apply the cleansing oil with a cotton ball. Gently massage all the areas, especially the T-zone in circular motions. Wipe it gently with a warm cloth.
- Best Makeup Removers For All Skin Types
- Best Makeup Removers For Sensitive Skin
- Best Makeup Remover Cloths (With Buying Guide!)
- Best Drugstore Makeup Removers For All Skin Types