10 Best Cruelty-Free And Vegan Skin Care Brands – 2023
Take care of your dear skin, but no longer at the cost of your innocent furry friends.
Almost everyone uses various skin care products from different brands. But, how many of us pay attention to our choices and look for the best cruelty-free vegan skin care brands before making our investments? Not many. But the good news is that more and more people are making well-informed, conscious choices that are safe for the animal kingdom and the environment.
Our beauty and skin care no longer come at the cost of our furry friends. People are choosing to be vegan or at least switch to vegan products. As a result, multiple brands now offer products that let you pamper yourself guilt-free while using your makeup products. Today’s brands also offer the best effective and long-lasting formulas despite being clean and made of cruelty-free ingredients.
Some of these brands have made a mark in the cosmetics world, while some others are making their way on the scene one product at a time. Here’s a list of the best cruelty-free vegan skin care brands that you could choose if you are considering a switch over to cleaner brands. Keep scrolling for our top picks!
In This Article
What Is The Difference Between Cruelty-Free And Vegan Brands?
If it’s a lifestyle change you are trying to make, and you want to start one step at a time, going cruelty-free is an easy first step. Cruelty-free, as the name suggests, means not testing the products on animals for iterations and finally arriving at the end product to understand if there are adverse or mild reactions from the ingredients. It is a cruel and torturous procedure for animals, and that itself should make us all go cruelty-free. Brands that are cruelty-free do not test their products on animals or cause harm during formulation. They conduct experiments through other procedures in artificial lab environments – to an extent where they test it on synthetic skin. Each brand does it differently, but no animals are involved.
On the other hand, vegan is predominantly a lifestyle, where vegans use products that are 100% natural, plant-based, and usually organic too. None of the products they use have any animal products or byproducts like fats, beeswax, bone powder, etc. But you do not have to follow a vegan lifestyle to use vegan products. Remember, vegan products are, obviously, cruelty-free, but the reverse is not true.
We have a combination of these brands here. Check them out!
10 Best Cruelty-Free And Vegan Skin Care Brands
1. Paula’s Choice – Cruelty-Free
Paula’s Choice is a big name in the cosmetic industry. But most of us do not know that their products are cruelty-free, i.e., not tested on animals. They do not claim that their products are vegan because different ingredients are sourced from varied vendors, which might not be 100% vegan at all levels. But, they only source their ingredients from cruelty-free suppliers and ensure their products are cruelty-free end to end. They hope to turn completely vegan as technology advances and when there’s more control over the entire supply chain. Paula’s Choice is extremely honest and transparent, which is what makes it trustworthy.
- Paula’s Choice 10% (Vitamin B3) Niacinamide Booster – Buy it here!
- Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Salicylic Acid Skin Perfecting Liquid – Buy it here!
- Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Toner – Buy it here!
2. Drunk Elephant – Cruelty-Free
Drunk Elephant’s merchandise tops the list for most products we use on a daily basis. However, not many of their customers know that their products are 100% cruelty-free. They do not test their products on animals nor use ingredients from suppliers that test them on animals. Plus, they go one step ahead and do not sell products in Mainland China because, by law, products have to be tested on animals before anything can be launched in the markets. Most of their products are vegan too, but not all of them, which is why they are not labeled as vegan products. Whether it is a regular sunblock, or something more specific like glycolic acid or other serums, toners, or cleansers, Drunk Elephant is one of the best right now.
- Drunk Elephant T.L.C Framboos Glycolic Night Serum – Buy it here!
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Intensive Gel – Buy it here!
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Physical Sunblock SPF-30 – Buy it here!
3. Tarte – Cruelty-Free
Whether it is skin care or cosmetics you are looking for, Tarte is a leader in the beauty industry right now. All their products are sourced ethically and formulated after thorough research. They use ingredients that are cruelty-free, derived naturally, and without parabens, synthetics, gluten, or sulfates. The brand strongly believes in giving back to the community, protecting the environment, and making a difference while maintaining an impeccable quality of its products. They range from medium to premium in terms of their pricing because there’s no compromise at any step of the way. To get a better understanding of the product, you can check out this video on YouTube.
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost – Buy it here!
- Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Deep Dive Cleansing Gel – Buy it here!
4. boscia – Cruelty-Free And Vegan
Since 2002, boscia has been using plant-to-bottle ingredients to create skincare products that show results. The natural ingredients used in the brand’s products offer adequate nourishment and glow. The products are designed with sensitive skin in mind and are made to keep the skin toned and free of premature aging signs. The products from boscia soothe the skin and keep it youthful.
- boscia Resurfacing Treatment Toner With Apple Cider Vinegar – Buy it here!
5. Supergoop – Cruelty-Free
A brand that is predominantly known for changing the way we understand sunscreen in more ways than one. Their sunscreen formulations are anything but generic. They have a range of products that combine unique ingredients with a broad spectrum of options. Their body butters, moisturizers, hand creams, lip balms, and, of course, sunscreens are best in line.
- Supergoop Sunscreen SPF 30 Anti-Aging Serum – Buy it here!
- Supergoop Forever Young SPF 40 Body Butter – Buy it here!
- Supergoop Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil – Buy it here!
6. The Body Shop – Cruelty-Free And Mostly Vegan
Everybody knows The Body Shop. When we say everybody, we mean everybody. But what most of us do not know is that they are cruelty-free, and most of their products are vegan. They pledged and took it upon them to ban testing on animals forever. While we hope that it happens, we have many reasons to not look away from our favorite brand for any reason.
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil – Buy it here!
- The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash – Buy it here!
- The Body Shop Shea Body Butter – Buy it here!
7. Pacifica Beauty – Vegan
A common notion that the world has been made to internalize is that natural products do not deliver results with the same efficacy as chemically formulated products. But, thanks to a few brands, this notion is changing. This brand has gone a step ahead in making products that are vegan, gluten-free, and without any artificial fragrances. Check out the review of this product for more information.
- Pacifica Beauty Coconut Milk Cream To Foam Face Wash – Buy it here!
- Pacifica Beauty Hot Vegan Probiotic & Spice Rehab Mask – Buy it here!
- Pacifica Beauty Kale Charcoal Ultimate Detox Mask – Buy it here!
8. Bliss – Cruelty-Free and Vegan
The brand Bliss is a certified clean, cruelty-free brand on a mission to make self-care a priority and give you clear, glowing skin. The brand, founded in NYC in 1996, creates powerful skincare products without affecting the environment. The products soothe and detoxify the skin while improving the skin texture.
- Bliss Clear Genius Clarifying Gel Cleanser – Buy it here!
9. Tata Harper – Vegan
Luxury skin care products are usually loaded with chemicals, steroids, and other heavy-duty toxins that are marketed in a highly convincing tone. But here’s a brand that stands out. With 100% natural and high-performing ingredients, Tata Harper promises and delivers sustainability, environmental-friendly, and cruelty-free business practices.
- Tata Harper Purifying Cleanser – Buy it here!
- Tata Harper Redefining Body Balm – Buy it here!
- Tata Harper Retinoic Nutrient Face Oil – Buy it here!
10. Nourish Organic – Cruelty-Free And Mostly Vegan
Vegan and cruelty-free skincare is not only good for the environment, but it is gentle and kind on the skin as well. Check out this buying guide if you’re looking for the best vegan and cruelty-free skincare brands but cannot decide which one to go for. It comprises the crucial factors to consider when selecting the best ones.
How To Choose The Best Cruelty-Free And Vegan Skin Care Brands
- Ingredients to Avoid
Certain common animal-derived ingredients are used in most skincare products. When looking for vegan skincare, you need to avoid these. Some of them include the following:
- Squalene- It is often harvested from shark livers and used in serums, oils, creams, and moisturizers.
- Honey- It is a popular skincare ingredient used in lotions, creams, lip balms, and scrubs. Honey is extracted from bees, making it an animal-derived element.
- Lanolin- This emollient is commonly found in body creams, lip balms, and eye creams. Because it comes from sheep’s wool, it is considered a non-vegan ingredient.
- Glycerine- It is another common moisturizing ingredient found in many skincare products, primarily derived from animal fats.
- Collagen- Known for its anti-aging benefits, most of the collagen used in skincare comes from the tissues or bones of beef or fish.
- Elastin- Like collagen, elastin is a fibrous protein derived from animal ligaments and muscles.
- Beeswax- Commonly used in lip balms and moisturizers, beeswax is naturally produced by honeybees in their hives.
- Check For Certifications
There are a few certified accreditors to ensure that the product is, in fact, cruelty-free, vegan, or both. You can check the website database to determine whether the brand is certified. Some of the most prestigious certifications are as follows:
- The Vegan Society
- Vegan action
- Vegetarian Society
- Leaping Bunny
- Choose Cruelty-Free (CCF)
- American Vegetarian Association
- Beauty Without Bunnies (PETA)
- PETA-Approved Vegan
- Additional Checks
To ensure the brand is cruelty-free and vegan, you need to check if the brand adheres to these rules without any uncertainty or exceptions.
- The brand or the supplier does not test on animals.
- No third-party animal testing is involved.
- They do not sell their products in physical stores in mainland China because, to do that, they are required to be tested or re-tested (for already certified-safe products) on animals by law.
A brand that proved that being small or big is not important – but being right is. This is why they went on to become pioneers in being USDA approved for being entirely organic and chemical-free. Most of their products are vegan, and all of them are organic and cruelty-free. If you are someone who is very particular about not only what goes into your products but also how they are made and procured, look no further than Nourish Organics.
- Nourish Organic Ultra Hydrating Face Cream – Buy it here!
- Nourish Organic Restorative Night Cream – Buy it here!
- Nourish Organic Moisturizing Face Cleanser – Buy it here!
If you are willing to protect our ecosystem and do your bit for innocent animals, there are many cruelty-free and vegan skincare brands that offer great makeup products. These cruelty-free products don’t use animals for lab testing and work with organic ingredients that are great on sensitive skin as well. These products are completely trustworthy as they don’t harm the skin or cause unnecessary irritation. They help in rejuvenating your skin while removing the dead skin cells for a flawless look. From serums to night creams and face washes, these products are often gluten-free and devoid of any kind of artificial fragrance.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author, Oyendrila Kanjilal, is a certified skin care coach who loves experimenting with different skin products and reviewing them. She vouches for cruelty-free, vegan skin care brands for anyone who believes in animal rights. She has done complete research on the products and reviewed them to help her readers pick the best ones. These products help you pamper your skin while you stay 100% guilt-free.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can you tell if a product is vegan or cruelty-free?
Check the label of the product. If you see the vegan trademark and the Leaping Bunny or PETA logo, know that the product is vegan and cruelty-free. But, if the product indicates the term ‘vegetarian’, read the ingredients list to determine whether it is vegan or not.
How do you know if a product is tested on animals?
Check a product’s label – if you do not see a Leaping Bunny logo, know that the product has been tested on animals. Also, if you do not get the product listed in any of these three online certified cruelty-free databases – leapingbunny.org, crueltyfreeinternational.org, and crueltyfree.peta.org – know that the product is not cruelty-free.
Are cruelty-free products safe?
Not necessarily. Cruelty-free products are not tested on animals; they are tested for their safety otherwise. But that does not make the products completely safe for every single person. For example, many people have sensitive skin, so cruelty-free products containing irritants may harm their skin and cause severe infections.
Does dermatologically tested mean cruelty-free?
No. Dermatologically tested products are approved by skin care specialists or doctors. And cruelty-free indicates that no animals were harmed during the manufacturing process. Therefore both have different values and are not the same.
Is animal testing necessary for cosmetics?
No. Animal testing is not necessary for ensuring the safety of cosmetics as per the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.