Wondering what the best exercises to get rid of muffin tops are? Well, worry not! We have got you covered.
We love those yummy muffins like crazy, but reality hits home the moment we notice muffin tops peeping out of our sexy low jeans or body-con sheaths!
Muffin top is the body slang used for the lower belly/hip fat that gets accumulated right above your butts. If you are struck with love handles and muffin tops and they are keeping those six-packs away from you, then here I have 7 exercises that can shred those muffin tops to pieces!
Let’s have a look at the best exercises to get rid of muffin tops:
But before we go on to the exercises, let me tell you the mantra to get rid of those love handles and muffin tops. You need to do cardio and total body movements as well as part-specific exercises. You cannot spot-reduce but you can spot-sculpt! But to sculpt, you first need to get rid of the excess fat. So, do the total body workouts along with this muffin top destroyer exercises to get a yummilicious waistline!
1. Candlestick Dipper
This is the 1 muffin top killer move and I can’t thank Pop Pilates trainer CasseyHo enough for introducing this exercise to me! As this exercise works on your oblique muscles, you will definitely get results with this one!
- Get on your knees with your abs tight and back straight. Use cushioning under your knees if they are sensitive.
- Now straighten your right leg to your side. Make sure your knee is straight and not drooping towards the floor.
- Now raise your hand straight overhead and bind your fingers together. Keep the first 2 fingers joined in a Charlie’s Angels pose.
- Now bend at your waist to your left side. Go as low as you can and try to be parallel to the floor.
- Rise up back into the starting position.
- Do 15 dips and then repeat on the other side.
2. Hip Dips
Hip Dips are amazingly effective in toning those obliques and the entire waistline.
- Get down into the plank position with your abs tightened.
- Lower into the forearm plank by bending your elbows and coming down on your forearms.
- Now roll to your left side into a forearm side plank and stack your right leg over your left leg. Put your right hand on your hip.
- Now dip your hip towards the floor and lift back.
- Do 10 dips on this side and then roll to the other side and do 10 dips.
3. Rolling Plank
Rolling Plank is another variation of the classic plank exercise. It tones your entire midsection. Since it is a moving exercise, it is a good form of cardio.
- Get down in a standard plank with your arms straight and abs tight. Make sure your hands are directly under your shoulders.
- Now roll to your left side into a side plank and come back into the plank.
- Now roll to your right side into a side plank and then come back into the plank.
- Keep alternating the sides and complete 10 rolls each side.
4. Butt Lift/Heat Wave
This is my all-time favorite exercise for muffin top. It tones your lower abs, obliques, muffin tops and lifts your butt.
- Lie down on the floor on your back with your feet flat on the floor and knees bent.
- Now lift your butt up until you get a straight line from knees to shoulders.
- Lower down again.
- Do it 15-20 times.
5. Hip Twists
Hip Twists are also called waist whittlers by some people because they totally, amazingly whittle your waist for good!
- Get down into a forearm plank with your elbows directly under your shoulders and body in a straight line.
- Now twist your hip to the left side and touch your left hip to the floor and then twist to the right, and then touch the right hip to the floor.
- Do 20 twists.
6. Bicycle Crunches
Bicycle crunches are one of the best and most effective exercises for your abs, belly fat and your muffin tops.
- Lie down on the floor on your back and lift your feet with your knees bent such that your calves become parallel to the floor.
- Put your hands behind your head to support your head and neck.
- Now bring your left knee towards your right elbow and at the same time straighten the right leg out. Do not lower the right leg to the floor.
- Now, bring right knee to the left elbow and straighten the left leg out.
- Keep alternating and do as much as you can for 1-2 minutes.
[ Read: Simple Exercises To Reduce Belly Fat ]
7. Russian Twist
Russian Twist is one of the best exercises to get rid of muffin top. It strengthens your abs, tones your oblique muscles and helps in shredding that muffin top. You can do it with weight and without weight depending on your level.
- Sit on your butt with your feet pressed into the ground and knees bent.
- Now lean back a little.
- Grab a dumbbell or a kettlebell in your hands. If that is too much for you, just join your hand together.
- Now, rotate that dumbbell (or your hands) from side to side, twisting your torso with it.
- Do 10 twists each side.
Effective Exercises To Reduce Muffin Top
To recap, a Muffin top is the accumulation of lower belly fat right above your hips which can be distinctly noticed when you wear skin tight clothes like skinny jeans. It restricts the type of clothing you can wear and may affect your confidence and the way you view yourself. If you want to reduce a muffin top, there are some important exercises from the article above that you need to really focus on.
Check out the infographic below to know 5 effective exercises that can help reduce a muffin top when done consistently.
Exercises to get rid of a muffin top, coupled with total body movements, can bring out effective results in slimming down your waistline. These exercises target the oblique muscles, waistline, midsection, obliques, butt, and abs. Moreover, you can comfortably do them at home, but just make sure that you get the form right. If you have any existing injuries in your shoulders, joints, or knees, consult a physiotherapist to find out if you can do these exercises. If you get the nod, pull out your exercise mat and start working out immediately to shed your muffin top.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does walking help reduce muffin tops?
Yes. Walking can help reduce muffin tops as it helps you burn calories and fat.
Why am I skinny with a muffin top?
You may have a muffin top despite being skinny because of your genes, unhealthy eating habits, or lack of resistance training.
How long does it take to lose the muffin top?
It depends on how much fat you need to burn. As you lose your overall body fat, you can observe your midsection tone up as well.
Do sit-ups get rid of muffin top?
No. Sit-ups alone can’t help you get rid of the muffin top. You will need a comprehensive exercise plan and a low-calorie, healthy diet.
Is muffin top the same as love handles?
Yes. Love handles refer to the pinchable fat on both sides of your stomach, leading to a ‘muffin top’ appearance.