Everyone wants to look young for long by getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles, especially those caused by frequent laughter. There is no question about that. But, do we have any exercises to reduce laugh lines?
Yes. There are many natural treatments and facial exercises to remove laugh lines that usually show up on the face. But what are they? How to do them? Read on and find out.
In This Article
How To Get Rid of Laugh Lines – Top 3 Exercises:
Exercise 1: Strengthen The Orbicularis Oris:
- Using your index fingers, hook the corners of your mouth and gently pull towards the sides.
- Don’t overdo the stretch; only around ¼ inches.
- Hold this position for a few seconds. Now work on the opposite side.
- Draw the corners of your mouth toward each other, resisting the movement using your index fingers again.
- Relax and repeat the exercise 25 times.
How Does It Work?
The orbicularis oris muscle is quite necessary and helps ensure that the overlying skin is adequately supported to prevent sagging.
Exercise 2: Resistance Smiles:
- This exercise is also a great cure for preventing laugh lines. Perform the exercise by placing your fingers firmly over your laugh lines.
- Proceed to smile as widely as you can with your lips separated.
- Hold this position for five seconds. Relax and repeat the exercise 30 times.
How Does It Work?
The exercise helps strengthen your cheek muscles and minimizes skin creases. It also helps lift skin, preventing further creases around the mouth.
Exercise 3: Thumbs Next To Eyes:
- This exercise has been rated as one of the most effective. According to Carolyn’s Facial Fitness, placing your thumbs near your eye corners, with your fingers resting on the top of your head, helps visibly reduce laugh lines.
- To perform this exercise, close your eyes and slide your thumbs away from your eyes toward your temples.
- Hold this position for around 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
How Does It Work?
The exercise helps draw the corners of your eyes outward, which helps combat the effect that laughing causes; when your cheeks naturally push up and the skin around your eyes wrinkles.
Apart from these laugh line exercises, there are certain other steps you can take for reducing laugh lines around your mouth.
1. Avoid The Sun:
This is probably oone of the best way to combat the growth of wrinkles and creases around the mouth. When you limit your exposure to the sun; you not only avoid the chance of getting wrinkles and sagging skin, but also can reduce smile lines. Wear a hat to avoid sun exposure or use a sunscreen (1).
Antioxidants treat all kinds of ailments from cancer to other diseases. They also have many potential benefits for the skin. They are active anti-aging agents, which prevent the growth of wrinkles around the mouth. Antioxidant-rich diets, which consist of vitamin C, along with many fruits and veggies help keep your skin healthy and elastic longer (2).
3. Drink Water:
One of the best ways to prevent wrinkles is drinking lots of water. Water helps hydrate the skin and makes the skin suppler and more elastic. Drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day can make you look younger longer. Drinking water slows the development of fresh wrinkles around your mouth (3).
4. Consuming Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
By consuming omega-3s, you ensure that you will keep looking young for long. This is because fatty fish and fish oil supplements help prevent wrinkle formation and creases around the mouth and upper lips. Fish oil is crammed with omega-3 fatty acids, which decrease skin damage like wrinkles around the eyes, mouth and laugh lines (4).
Fine lines, wrinkles, and laugh lines, the signs of your life’s experiences and aging, might alter and affect how your face looks and feels. Whole there are tons of especially formulated creams, serums, and lotions available for the same, you can begin with practicing the above exercises to reduce laugh lines. Avoiding sun exposure and keeping yourself hydrated can delay the onset or help reduce the appearance of laugh lines as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can laugh lines be reversed?
No. While it may be possible to reduce laugh lines until a certain age, this is a permanent phenomenon that occurs with age.
Why are my smile lines so deep?
Laugh/smile lines may deepen as a result of aging, weight gain, smoking, collagen loss, and dental issues.
What age do laugh lines appear?
This varies from individual to individual. You may observe laugh lines in your 30s or 40s depending on your genetic disposition, use of facial expressions, or lifestyle habits.
Does weight loss cause laugh lines?
Yes. When you age, you lose fat or connective tissue on your face, causing laugh lines.