If you are looking for the best exfoliator for ingrown hair, this article is sure to help you. Ingrown hairs are formed when hair follicles get clogged. These often feel bumpy on your skin, might get itchy, and cause inflammation when irritated. Also known as razor bumps, these can also form by the remnants of body hair shafts if not shaved well. You might notice these as tiny bumps on your legs or arms after shaving sometimes. Not only do they make your skin feel rough to touch, but also may lead to painful infections. To prevent all this, it’s important to exfoliate your skin regularly with a good exfoliator for ingrown hair. It would not only help smoothen your skin but would also prevent further buildup and occurrence of ingrown hair. To help you get started, we have shortlisted the 7 best exfoliators that help remove ingrown hair effectively.
7 Best Exfoliators To Eliminate Ingrown Hair In 2022
1. Best Chemical-Free: pureSCRUBS Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub
This pureSCRUBS Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub exfoliates, cleanses, nourishes, and moisturizes your skin, preventing dead skin build-up and leaving you with healthy, soft and radiant skin. The fine grains of dead sea salt gently exfoliates, while the blend of jojoba, sweet almond, and argan oils smoothen skin. It is a great exfoliator for ingrown hair on legs. Infused with vitamin E and avocado oil, this formula nourishes your skin, while the aloe vera and shea butter moisturize it. Scented with lemongrass, this scrub leaves you feeling like you have spent a day at the spa. This product includes a bamboo wooden spoon to scoop out the scrub, an exfoliating dual-sided loofah, and an oatmeal exfoliating soap.
- Smells great
- 100% natural
- Free of chemicals
- Repairs skin damage
- May be a bit oily
2. Best For Bikini Area: Completely Bare Bikini Bump Blaster
Whether you have a bikini bump or are troubled by persistent ingrown hair, this Completely Bare Bikini Bump Blaster will take care of it all. This is a good exfoliator for the bikini area, if you have been staying off waxing. Boosted with the power duo of salicylic acid and glycolic acid, this formula penetrates deep into the pores to dislodge the clump of dead skin cells, oil, and dust, resulting in smooth and healthy skin. It also contains green tea extract that is an anti-aging agent and witch hazel that will tone your skin.
- Easy to use
- Vegan formula
- No sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
- May be a bit drying
3. Best Vegan: GiGi No Bump Body Scrub
Troubled by razor burns and ingrown hair after hair removal? This GiGi No Bump Body Scrub exfoliates to give you clear and smooth skin. Rich in salicylic acid, it effectively unclogs pores and dissolves dead skin cells while also serving as an anti-inflammatory agent. It also contains rice bran wax that is rich in antioxidants and fights harmful free radicals. This formula also contains extracts of chamomile, willow bark, sea buckthorn, and algae.
- 100% vegan
- No synthetic dyes
- No sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
- The scrub may be a bit slippery.
4. Best Anti-Aging: O Naturals Dead Sea Salt Scrub – Grapefruit And Vanilla
Ingrown hair exfoliation can be a bumpy ride. Just apply this O Naturals Dead Sea Salt Scrub – Grapefruit and Vanilla onto ingrown hair and razor bumps for a cool effect and calming relief. The grapefruit oil is an anti-inflammatory agent that firms your skin, while vanilla extract renders a youthful glow. This scrub is formulated with dead sea salt that gently exfoliates dead skin cells, sweet almond oil that conditions skin, avocado oil that repairs damage, and argan oil that moisturizes your skin. This formula is also rich in vitamin E and jojoba oil.
- Anti-aging formula
- Fights acne and blackheads
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
- Minimizes the appearance of cellulite
- The fragrance may be a bit overwhelming for some.
5. Best Oil-Free: Jack Black Bump Fix
Painful ingrown hair keeping you up at night? This Jack Black Bump Fix targets razor bumps and ingrown hair, offering you relief from the worry. With salicylic acid as the most active ingredient in the formula that provides gentle exfoliation, you are in good hands with this product. All while the other ingredients in the formula such as aloe leaf, lactic acid, and organic chamomile extract will soothe your skin. This exfoliator is also a premium astringent for oily and acne-prone skin.
- Easy to use
- Oil-free solution
- Moisturizes deeply
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin
6. Best Organic: Princereigns Original Ingrown Hair Removal Serum
Say goodbye to ingrown hair with this Princereigns Original Ingrown Hair Removal Serum. Whether the hair is trapped inside, sideways, or grown back into the skin, this formula works effectively to eliminate it. Powered with glycolic acid, it penetrates and dissolves dead skin and dirt build-up, leaving you with exfoliated, smooth, and clean skin. The roll-on bottle ensures easy application and is a great serum to use after hair removal. You will see visible results within 1 to 2 days.
- 100% organic
- Safe on sensitive skin
- No sulfates and parabens
- Good exfoliant for bikini area
- May be a bit drying
7. Best For Daily Use: Shobha Ingrown Relief Lotion
This Shobha Ingrown Relief Lotion not only gets rid of ingrown hair but also prevents its growth in the future. It removes build-up of dead skin cells while eliminating ingrown hair and reduces the possibility of inward hair growth. This formula comprises glycolic acid that exfoliates, tea tree oil that repairs skin damage, glycerin that moisturizes, and chamomile that soothes your skin.
- Hydrates skin
- Great for daily use
- Nourishing formula
- Safe for sensitive skin
- May have a heavy fragrance
Now that you are all caught up on the best products in the market, here are a few tips on how to deal with ingrown hair
How To Get Rid Of Ingrown Hair
Here are a few tips if you are stuck in such a situation
- Stop hair removal: Until you have got rid of the ingrown hair, stop shaving, waxing, or plucking hair in that area.
- Remove dead skin: Ingrown hair is nothing but hair follicles trapped in dead skin cells, oil, and dirt. Hence, gently wash the area and use an exfoliant to remove the build-up.
- Warm compresses: This will help soothe the area that is inflamed with ingrown hair.
- Consult a doctor: If it gets worse, see a doctor. A prescription of retinoids from your doctor will speed up the clearing of dead skin cells. Avoid retinoids if you are pregnant.
However, before it gets too severe, it is important that you include exfoliation in your routine to avoid such a situation. Here are a few things you can keep in mind before buying an exfoliator.
How To Select Exfoliator For Ingrown Hair
Here are a few parameters you can judge them by.
- Active ingredients: Salicylic acid and glycolic acid are the most efficient agents for ingrown hair, especially because they exfoliate well, causing clearer pores and healthy skin.
- Free of toxins: This goes without saying that if you are buying an exfoliator for regular use, it is advisable to stay off products that contain sulfates, parabens, and phthalates.
- Alcohol-free: Alcohol can dry out your skin, robbing it of its natural oils and much-needed moisture. Hence, you may want to pick a formula that is free of alcohol.
- Moisturizing formula: An exfoliator scrubs off dead skin cells, and hence it is important that the formula also enables deep moisturization to the underlying skin or it may cause inflammation.
Once, you have an exfoliator in your kitty, use it cautiously. You do not want to over do it.
How Often Should I Exfoliate Ingrown Hair
- Ingrown hair often shows up after hair removal, be it shaving, waxing, or any other modes. It is usually dead skin cells that clog up the pores and force the hair to grow sideways.
- Hence, you will benefit from regular exfoliation. Gentle exfoliation for 10-15 seconds once a week can do wonders for your skin.
- Ingrown hair can also cause a little bump that may look like a pimple and lead to great discomfort. People with curly hair are more susceptible to this since the nature of the hair lends it to grow in a non-linear way. However, anyone can get them, and hence, it is important that you maintain good personal hygiene and cleansing routine that involves exfoliation.
Ingrown hair can cause painful, itchy bumps on the skin. These are formed due to hair follicles or your legs or arms clogging. They make your skin rough and scaly. To prevent this, you need a good exfoliator to exfoliate and soothe your skin gently and prevent the occurrence of ingrown hair. They contain antioxidants and natural ingredients that moisturize the skin and reduce inflammation. These products are easy to use, cruelty-free, and vegan. However, some exfoliates have an overwhelming smell and may not suit sensitive skin.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
Kirtana Divakar, the author of this article, is a skincare aficionado and likes to help her readers choose from the very many skincare products without hassle. She went on a hunt for the best exfoliators for ingrown hair and compiled a list of them with the help of thorough research. She also read many product details to ensure the listed products are safe for use. This list consists of the products that can make your skin smooth and prevent the buildup of ingrown hair further.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does exfoliating surely help remove ingrown hair?
Yes, definitely. An exfoliator will remove the dead skin cells, oil, and dirt build-up, getting rid of the bump you have because of the ingrown hair. It is advisable to exfoliate once a week to avoid ingrown hair. However, if you face serious ingrown hair issues that are painful, it is better to consult a doctor first.