The 10 Best Eye Drops For Allergies To Fight Dryness – 2023
Tackle eye irritation with relieving, soothing, and moisturizing ingredients.
Eye allergies are extremely bothersome. They turn your eyes itchy, red, irritated, dry, or sore. The ideal way to get rid of such symptoms is to use the best eye drops for allergies. These eye drops are available in various formulas, and they soothe the concerns caused by an eye allergy. Some eye drops provide relief to antihistamines, while others act as a lubricant to your eyes. The eye drops provide fast relief and make you feel comfortable in no time.
Eye allergies may occur due to dust, pollen, pet dander, perfumes, or smoke. And they can severely disrupt your day-to-day life. Performing even the simplest tasks may seem impossible. Tackling the common forms of skin and nose allergies is easier, but when the allergies hit the eyes, we need to look out for specific drugs that cure sooner. In this article, we have mentioned a list of the 10 best eye drops for allergies that will restore your normal life in a jiffy. Check them out below!
In This Article
How Do Eye Drops For Allergies Help?
Eye drops for allergies help by targeting the sensitive area of your eye and relieving any sort of discomfort you feel such as itchiness, soreness, dryness, inflammation, or pain caused by allergens. Eye drops are specifically designed to ward off allergy-causing elements in the eye and calming the irritation, and therefore act faster than oral antihistamines.
Get Instant Relief With Our Favorite 10 Eye Drops For Allergies
1. Best Overall:Bausch + Lomb Alaway Antihistamine Eye Drops
If you are seeking some easy, temporary relief from allergies caused by pollen or your pet’s hair in your eyes, then look no further than this antihistamine formula. This eye drop provides relief in a matter of a few minutes and works for up to 12 hours. With ketotifen fumarate as the active ingredient and benzalkonium chloride, glycerin, sodium hydroxide and/or hydrochloric acid, and water as the additional ingredients, this product helps in targeting the area of irritation and provides comfort faster than oral pills. One drop in the eye is all you need to feel better. Plus this can be used by both adults and children from the age of 3. You can check out this YouTuber’s review of the product if you require more convincing.
- Provides relief in minutes
- Relieves you of symptoms for up to 12 hours
- Can be used for adults and children
- Needs only one drop for action
- Not suitable for reactions caused by contact lens
2. Best For Reducing Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Symptoms:Optase MGD Advanced Dry Eye Drops
The Optase MGD Advanced Dry Eye Drops is formulated with moisturizing ingredients like omega 3 and omega 6 that provide instant relief to dry, itchy eyes. The product can be used to treat common eye conditions like redness and irritation while also alleviating the symptoms of eye problems like Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. It is infused with a power component like sacha inchi seed oil and other potent ingredients like glycerine, hyaluronate, and trehalos that give premium benefits to your eyes’ health.
- Provides instant relief
- Suitable for sore eyes
- Non-blurry solution
- Safe for contact lens wearers
3. Best For Instant Relief:Alcon Pataday Once Daily Relief Antihistamine Eye Allergy Itch Relief
Getting an allergy attack in the middle of work is the worst. But fret not as you can now opt for these eye drops for allergies that provide fast relief by attacking the release of chemicals that cause the irritation in your eyes. This eye drop uses an antihistamine formula comprising ingredients such as olopatadine hydrochloride, povidone, and dibasic sodium phosphate and can provide relief with only one drop in a day. Hassle-free and easy to use, this product is designed for busy ones looking to keep the uninvited interruption of eye allergies at bay. If you want to find out more about this product and its usage, make sure to check out this review on YouTube.
- Instant relief
- Provides relief for up to 16 hours
- Does not need more than 1 drop in a day
- Targets chemicals causing irritation
- Can be used for adults and children aged 2 and above
- Slightly expensive
4. Best Clinically Proven Formula:Visine Allergy Eye Relief – Multi-Action
This is a heavy-duty formula for instant relief to a host of allergic reactions in the eyes for those looking for the real deal when it comes to eye drops for allergies with artificial tears. The product uses an effective antihistamine ingredient in the form of pheniramine maleate that relieves the user of common forms of allergies such as irritation, itchiness and soreness caused by agents such as pollen, grass and animal fur. The presence of naphazoline hydrochloride helps in getting rid of redness in the eyes. Just use a few drops of this eyedrop and never have allergies disrupt your daily life again.
- Clinically proven anti-allergen
- Uses potent antihistamine in the form of pheniramine maleate
- Contains naphazoline hydrochloride for relief from redness
- Provides relief for up to 12 hours
- Not suitable for children
5. Best For Long-Lasting Relief:Systane Zaditor Antihistamine Eye Drops
This is a tried and tested formula for relief from eye irritation caused by allergies. Simply put in a drop in each eye and let its antihistamine magic work to relieve you of common forms of allergies caused by pollen, grass, and dander. It provides long-lasting relief for up to 12 hours so that you don’t have to worry about intermittent discomfort too often as you go about your day. It uses prescription-strength formula without any vasoconstrictors for effective relief from allergies. This can be used on adults and kids aged 3 and above.
- Only a drop required
- Provides relief for up to 12 hours
- Uses prescription-strength formula sans vasoconstrictors
- Might not address itchiness as it does not have lubricating properties
6. Best For Redness:Bausch + Lomb LUMIFY Redness Reliever Eye Drops
We love eye make-up but some of us, unfortunately, can be allergic to some of the ingredients used in cosmetics. These allergies that are mainly caused by bacterial infection are generally mild but can almost always lead to irritation in the form of redness in the eyes. This eye drop is a perfect solution for allergy of such nature as it is specifically designed to relieve redness in the eyes. The presence of brimonidine in this eye drop makes it effective in targeting redness and getting rid of it in minutes. The relief from redness lasts for up to 8 hours, after which, you can reapply another drop. This eye drop for allergy can make your eyes appear whiter and brighter within minutes.
- Targets redness
- Makes eyes look whiter and brighter
- Get rids of irritation within minutes
- Relief lasts for up to 8 hours
- Might not be suitable for pregnant and breast-feeding women
7. Best For Burning Sensation:Clear Eyes Advanced Dry & Itchy Relief
Dry eyes is a very common form of allergy and irritation that leads to itchiness, which is often uncomfortable and can lead to disruption in your day-to-day lives. With this eye drop, get rid of dryness and itchiness in a jiffy as it lubricates your eyes with ingredients such as lipids and antioxidants. Bid farewell to the burning sensation in your eyes that is also one of the most common results of dryness with this eye drop that contains glycerin. It provides instant relief that can last up to a good 12 hours.
- Lubricates the eyes
- Contains glycerin
- Contains lipids
- Rich in antioxidants
- Provides relief within minutes
- Relief lasts for up to 12 hours
- Might not be suitable for children
8. Best Homeopathic:Similasan Allergy Eye Relief Sterile Eye Drops
This eye drop takes care of a host of common forms of allergies in the eyes that lead to discomfort in the form of redness, burning, itchiness, and more. This is a homeopathic eye drop that is made with ingredients such as eyebright, therefore making this a great natural alternative to chemical-laden eye drops. It strengthens the body’s natural defence system to alleviate the discomfort in the eyes instead of using external agents to target them. This has no vasoconstrictor that has the potential of causing side effects and further discomfort. So, go about your day uninterrupted with this eye drop for allergies.
- No side effects
- Free of vasoconstrictors
- Formulated without chemicals
- Very short shelf life
9. Best For Children:Lastacaft Once Daily Eye Allergy Itch Relief Drops
The Lastacaft Once Daily Eye Allergy Itch Relief Drops provide instant relief from common allergens like pollen, grass, ragweed, animal hair, and pet dander. The product not only offers a quick solution but is also long-lasting that can keep away any eye irritation throughout the day. It caters to all age groups, from children above the age of 2 to adults. It is one of the most effective OTC options.
- Suitable for both adults and children above 2
- Provides relief for up to 16 hours
- Requires only a single drop in a day
- Affordable option
- Treats both seasonal and year-round allergens
- Relieves redness and sore eyes
- May cause a stinging sensation
10. Best With Natural Ingredients:The Relief Products Allergy Eyes Relief
Get quick relief from allergies in your eyes with this eye drop that boasts natural ingredients and effective outcomes. No more itchy eyes, watering, dryness, redness, or stinging with this eye drop that uses ingredients to alleviate seasonal allergies. All you need is a few drops of this non-toxic eye drop for relief from allergies caused by pollen, dust, and dander. You can use this on adults and children aged 2 and above and make them feel better instantly.
- All-natural ingredients
- Helps soothe seasonal allergies
- Can be used on adults and children aged 2 and above
- Might need to be used several times in a day for long-lasting relief
Now that we have looked at top 10 eye drops for allergies, let us help you pick one for purchase.
How To Pick The Right Eye Drop For Allergies
- Kind of discomfort
There are several options available in the market and the eye drop you choose depends on the kind of discomfort you experience in your eyes. If you’re looking to alleviate redness, pick an eye drop that has naphazoline hydrochloride in that but if you’re looking to alleviate itchiness, pick one that has antihistamine in it. There are also a number of options available that target a number of different kinds of allergies such as ones caused by pollen, animal fur, grass and dander.
- Duration of relief
While most eye drops provide long-lasting relief, the exact duration differs from product to product. If you’re looking for relief to last for a long duration, pick an eye drop that needs to be applied only once a day. Otherwise, you can simply pick something that lasts for a few hours and then reapply, as per your need.
- Ingredients in the product
It is key to pay attention to the ingredients, especially for use on children and pregnant or breast-feeding women. Pick a homeopathic, natural eye drop if you’re looking for one that is made of natural ingredients and one with no vasoconstrictors, if you’re looking for an eye drop with no side effects.
Applying eye drops for allergies in the right way is as important as picking out the right one for yourself. Here’s simplifying that.
How To Use Eye Drops For Allergies
- Step 1: Wash your hands properly and make sure to remove your contact lens if you use any.
- Step 2: Make sure the cap of the eye drop and the dropper are all clean.
- Step 3: Tilt your head backward and squeeze in the required number of drops needed into each eye, with the required gap as instructed.
- Step 4: Ensure that no part of the eye drop container or the applicator touches your eyes.
- Step 5: Close your eyes and let the eye drops settle in for a few minutes.
- Step 6: Open your eyes and blink a few times. You can pat off the excess eye drops, without touching the insides of your eyes.
What Are The Types Of Eye Drops For Allergies?
There are many different kinds of eye drops that are available in the market and one can be picked depending on the need.
- A lubricating eye drop can help ease discomfort in the eyes by making them tear up or moisturizing them to relieve itchiness and dryness.
- Eye drops with antihistamines help in treating the inflammation caused by allergies so that your eyes feel less sore. Meanwhile, mast cell stabilizers help in reducing the allergy-causing compound in your eyes so that you feel better.
- Decongesting eye drops help in providing relief from redness in the eyes, which is a common form of allergy.
Eyes are often susceptible to environmental allergies, and there can be redness, itchiness, burns, and irritation. Eye allergic reactions can cause mild to serious discomfort. That is why you need to get your hands on the best eye drops for allergies. The products mentioned above in the curated list will instantly relieve itchiness, redness, dryness, and soreness. These drops clear out all the elements that cause allergy from the eye, calm irritation, and act faster than antihistamines taken orally. They are formulated without harsh chemicals and do not have any side effects. Consider the kind of discomfort you are facing, the duration of relief the eye drop offers, and the ingredients mentioned in the label before purchasing the right eye drop.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
The author of this article, Shreya Vishwanathan, is a health and wellness enthusiast. She has conducted an extensive study on the best eye drops you can use for allergies. She has gone through various online forums for user feedback and reviews before compiling this list. She has considered all the necessary parameters, safety issues, and additional benefits of the products while preparing this list. These eye drops can provide fast relief and soothe irritations, pain, and allergies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use allergy eye drops every day?
While it is safe to use eye drops for a few days at a time for relief from common forms of allergies, most cases suggest consulting a doctor if the discomfort lasts longer than 72 hours.
How often to use eye drops for allergies?
The frequency of use depends on each product. While a few eye drops are needed to be used only once a day, a few can be used as and when required.
Are eye drops safe for contact lenses?
Most eye drops cannot be used along with contact lenses or for reactions caused by them. They have to be removed for sometime before putting in the eye drops. It is advisable to read the instructions regarding this as listed on the product.
When should we consult a doctor for allergies?
It is advisable to consult a doctor if your symptoms worsen or do not get alleviated despite using eye drops for up to 72 hours.
What causes eye allergies?
Eye allergies are caused when you’re exposed to allergens such as pollen, dust, dander, and mold.
What helps itchy eyes from allergies?
To ease the discomfort of itchy eyes from allergies, you can do the following:
• Remove contact lenses, if any.
• Rinse your eyes with water.
• Resist rubbing the eyes.
• Use over-the-counter eye drops.
• Take prescribed medicines.
Can allergies only affect one eye?
No, it usually affects both eyes if both eyes have been exposed to the allergen.
How long do eye allergies last?
Eye allergies can last for quite a long time if left untreated. Use an allergy-relieving eye drop to get relief in just a few minutes.
Best Eye Masks For Dry Eyes Trusted By Pro-Gamers
Best Heated Eye Masks To Soothe Tired Eyes – Top Picks
Best Eye Makeup Removers For Dry Eyes That Do Not Sting
Best Eye Drops For Dry Eyes That Relieve Irritation