Dryness in the eyes can give rise to many issues, and that is when the best eye drops that have been tried-and-tested for dry eyes can be used to reduce irritation and itchiness. There are many benefits of medicinal lubrication for fixing optical problems as it soothes the eyes. Whether it is redness, stingy feeling, or entering of any foreign particle, take a look at these 10 best eye drops that we have curated for better health of your eyes.
In This Article
What Is A Dry Eye?
Tears help moisturize the front of the eyes and help you see clearly. Dry eye is a condition that occurs when the eye doesn’t produce tears properly or when the tears are too thin and evaporate fast (1). This can lead to the ocular surface becoming inflamed, red, and dry. If left untreated, the condition can worsen and lead to pain, ulcers, scars on the cornea, and temporary loss of vision. It makes it difficult to see clearly. It might also decrease the eye’s tolerance for dry areas.
What Are The Types Of Dry Eye?
- Aqueous tear-deficient dry eye is a disorder in which the lacrimal glands don’t produce enough tears to maintain a healthy ocular surface (1).
- Evaporative dry eye might be caused due to inflammation of the meibomian glands in the eyelids. These glands make oily (lipid) part of tears, which slows evaporation and keeps the tears balanced (1).
Let’s now take a look at the 10 best eye drops for dry eyes.
Note: Products may be subject to packaging problems.
10 Best Eye Drops For Dry Eyes
1. Best Overall:Thera tears Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops
The Theratears Eye Drops is one of the best eye health products as it provides quick and long-lasting relief from dry eyes. The formula was perfected after 18 years of research that offered practical insights into how the soothing eye drop uses an electrolyte-based formula that rights any imbalances or discomforts causing dry eyes. They produce artificial tears that mimic the eye’s natural tears and work as a great relief for dry eyes. These eye drops revitalize the natural tears and protect them from evaporating or becoming thin and watery. They use a preservative that dissolves into hydrogen and oxygen when interacting with the eye. Check the video to get an all round idea about the Thera tears Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Provides extra hydration to dry eyes
- Provides protection from further damage to eyes and tears
- Balances the pH level of natural tears
- Preservative-free when interacting with eyes
- Stays for a long time
- Comes in an easy-to-use single bottle with a dispenser
- Can cause discomfort like burning.
- May be diluted.
2. Best Clinically Proven:Systane Lubricant Eye Drops
The Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops provide long-lasting and high endurance relief from dry eye symptoms. The product uses an ultra formula that provides fast and extended relief. It has been clinically proven to soothe dry eye symptoms quickly. These moisturizing eye drops have been tested to help in reducing eye irritation and protect the ocular surface from further damage. They also protect the natural tears from evaporating quickly. They act as eye discomfort relief and make tired eyes refreshed and provide comfort to inflamed eyes with demonstrated expertise. To know more about the eye drop, click on the review video of Systane Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Provide long-lasting relief
- Clinically proven formula
- Provides relief from dryness, irritations, watering, grittiness, burning, stinging, and itchiness.
- Moisturizes and hydrates eyes well
- Sometimes, the eye drops don’t pour out.
- Some users have reported that the drops may make eyes dryer.
3. Best For Easy-To-Use:Ocusoft Retaine Complete Dry Eye Relief
The Ocusoft Retaine Eye Drops provide relief from moderate to severe dry eye discomfort. According to expert opinion, these are great eye drops for computer users as the product uses a revolutionary cationic oil emulsion technology, which passes ingredients through electrostatic pulls created by positively charged eye drops and negatively charged eye surfaces. Reviews online indicate that this treatment helps to hydrate and soothe the eyes from any discomfort, like redness, itching, watering, and inflammation. It protects the eyes and the natural tears from further damage.
The Amo Blink Contacts Lubricating Eye Drops moisturize dry contact lenses with hyaluronate. They produce artificial tears to help soothe, relieve, and retain eye moisture. The formula allows the eyelids to move freely over dry eyes. It contains essential electrolytes that are found in natural tears to provide comfort for contact lens wearers. According to expert evaluation, these eye drops can be used with soft and rigid gas permeable lenses.
- Provides hydration for dry eyes
- Revitalizes natural tears
- Can be used for soft and RGP lenses
- May cause a burning sensation.
- May have packaging issues and damage.
5. Best Value-For-Money:Visine Totality Multi-Symptom Relief Eye Drops
The Visine Totality Multi-Symptom Relief Eye Drops are specifically formulated to relieve multiple eye irritation problems. The product is great for people with autoimmune diseases as it uses a special blend of three moisturizers, called Hydroblend, to calm irritated and dry eyes and provide temporary relief. It protects the eyes from any further discomfort, dryness, or burning. It provides relief for up to 10 hours.
The Similasan Dry Eye Relief Sterile Eye Drops are homeopathic eye drops that use natural ingredients, like eyebright, and not harsh chemicals. This natural eye drop includes ingredients that stimulate the eye’s natural defenses instead of masking the symptoms of dry eyes, like itching, redness, and dryness. These eye drops do not contain vasoconstrictors, chemicals that can cause a rebound effect.
- Provides eye relief from redness, itching, burning, stinging, watering, and inflammation
- No harsh chemicals
- No known side effects
- Comes in a single bottle with dispenser
- Provides temporary relief
7. Best For Sensitive Eyes:Refresh Optive Lubricant Eye Drops
The Refresh Optive Eye Drops deliver relief from dry, burning, and irritated eyes. They also soothe eyes from LASIK dryness. These eye drops contain two active ingredients that moisturize and provide relief to the eyes. The specially designed formula protects the cells of the eyes from damage with proven expertise. It also protects natural tears from evaporating quickly. These eye drops are free of preservatives and safe for sensitive eyes.
The Oasis Tears relieves discomfort caused by moderate dry eyes by coating, lubricating, and moistening the delicate eye tissue. It contains glycerin that keeps the ocular surface moisturized for a long time. It claims to coat and recoat the surface of the eye to provide long-lasting relief. It is preservative-free. Each pack contains 30 sterile disposable containers. Each container is contaminant free and contains 8 drops of the solution. Check out this reviewer’s experience video for an in-depth review to learn about the benefits of the Oasis TEARS PLUS Preservative-Free Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Soothes dry and irritated eyes
- Coats the ocular surface
- Moisturizes the eyes
- Not much liquid in each vial.
9. Best For Long-Lasting Effects:Viscosan Eye Drops
The Viscosan Eye Drops is one of the best eye drops for long-lasting hydration as it promises to rapidly relieve dry eyes. They help soothe inflammation and replenish the eye’s natural tears, allowing the eyelids to glide smoothly over the eyes. These eye drops contain hypromellose and cetrimide that keep the eye hydrated and stimulate high-quality natural tears. Reviewers love these eye drops as they provide relief from environmental causes, focus stress, and consumption of medication that cause dry eyes. These eye drops can also be used to rewet hard contact lenses. In case you are using soft contact lenses, make sure to remove them before instilling these eye drops.
Genteal Tears is one of the most effective eye drops for allergy relief because it aims to deliver fast relief from dry eyes and allergies. The user experience reveals that it is effective in soothing the burning and irritation caused by dry eyes. Once applied, these teardrops protect the eye from further aggravation. It has three formula strengths, which address all the symptoms of dry eyes. It contains a gentle preservative called polyquad that doesn’t harm the eyes.
- Provides fast relief
- Soothes burns and irritation
- Leaves no residue
- Lasting protection
- Safe and gentle
- Provides relief for only moderately dry eyes.
There you have it – 10 best eye drops for dry eyes. There are some factors to consider while choosing eye drops for dry eyes. They are listed below.
Factors To Consider While Choosing Eye Drops For Dry Eyes
- When choosing eye drops, make sure they lubricate and moisturize your eyes.
- Avoid eye drops that are meant to remove redness from the eyes. They contain decongestants that can worsen dry eyes.
- If you have glaucoma or any other eye disease, do not use over-the-counter eye drops without consulting your doctor.
- Eye drops are of two types – those with preservatives and those without. Although preservatives help prevent bacterial growth, these eye drops may irritate people’s eyes in certain cases and also make them more sensitive. Hence, eye drops with preservatives are not recommended by healthcare specialists for people with a serious case of dry eyes.
If you have moderate to severe dry eyes, preservative-free eye drops may be the best for you. These drops are usually available in single-use containers and are more expensive.
Dry eyes are a common condition but with the right products and lifestyle practices, the condition can be treated easily. Eye-drops offer an effective solution to lubricate dry eyes. Try any of the above-listed eye drops and obtain relief from dry and irritated eyes. If you want instant relief from dry eyes, opt for the Thera tears Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops to correct the salt imbalance and prevent further drying. The Systane Lubricant Eye Drops provides instant relief from discomfort and refreshes your eyes, while the Refresh Optive Lubricant Eye Drops is ideal for sensitive eyes and treats burning and irritation. If the problem persists despite using these drops for a while or your condition worsens, consult your doctor immediately.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
We have curated this list of the best eye drops after carefully going through multiple customer testimonials on various health and beauty forums. These eye drops help keep your eyes lubricated when they feel dry and tired with excessive screen time or lack of sleep. These not only help soothe your dry eyes but also help reduce the irritation associated with them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the causes of dry eyes?
• The following factors can cause dry eyes:
• Natural tears imbalance, causing thin tears
• Inflammation of the eye
• Irritation and eye redness of the lacrimal gland or conjunctiva
• A thyroid disease that may cause the eye to protrude
• Eyelids opened too wide due to surgery
• Dry environments
• Dust and pollution
• New contact lens
What are the symptoms of dry eye?
• Dry eye symptoms may include any of the following:
• Burning of the eye
• Gritty feeling as if something is in the eye
• Excessive thin tears followed by very dry eye spells
• A stringy or watery discharge from the eye
• Pain and redness of the eye
• Blurred vision
• Heavy eyelids
• Pain when eyelids pass over the eyes
• Inability to cry when emotionally stressed
• Uncomfortable contact lenses
• Unable to read, work on the computer or accomplish any activity that requires focused eyes
• Eye fatigue
• Too much residue left in the corners of the eyes
Is it okay to use eye drops for dry eyes after cataract surgery?
Yes, it is okay to use eye drops for dry eyes after cataract surgery. Lubricating your eyes with doctor-recommended eye drops will help moisturize and soothe your eyes.
How often should you use eye drops for dry eyes?
Use preservative-free eye drops at least four times a day to keep your eyes lubricated.
How many eye drops should you put on dry eyes?
Put one or two drops per eye for the best results.
How long does it take for eye drops to work for dry eyes?
Eye drops give you instant relief from dryness. But it is only a temporary solution. For permanent relief from dry eyes, consult an ophthalmologist and treat the underlying condition that’s causing dry eyes.
Can using eye drops constantly become harmful in the long run?
Yes, using eye drops constantly can wash away your natural tears. If you lubricate your eyes constantly with artificial drops, your eyes may not produce sufficient natural tears that protect your eyes.
- Javadi, Mohammad-Ali, and Sepehr Feizi. “Dry eye syndrome.” Journal of ophthalmic & vision research vol. 6,3 (2011): 192-8.
- Dry Eyes: Causes, Symptoms, And Natural Treatments
- Sore Eyes: Causes + 14 Home Remedies And Prevention Tips
- 15 Foods To Protect And Maintain Your Eyesight Naturally