10 Best Eye Drops For Dry Eyes That Relieve Irritation – 2023
Invest in these non-irritating, safe drops to soothe, alleviate, and hydrate dry eyes.
Dryness in the eyes can give rise to many issues, and that is when the best eye drops for dry eyes can be used to reduce irritation and itchiness. There are many benefits of medicinal lubrication for fixing optical problems as it soothes the eyes. Whether it is redness, stingy feeling, or entering of any foreign particle, take a look at these 10 best eye drops that we have curated for better health of your eyes.
In This Article
What Is Dry Eye?
Tears help moisturize the front of the eyes and help you see clearly. Dry eye is a condition that occurs when the eye doesn’t produce tears properly or when the tears are too thin and evaporate fast (1). This can lead to the ocular surface becoming inflamed, red, and dry. If left untreated, the condition can worsen and lead to pain, ulcers, scars on the cornea, and temporary loss of vision. It makes it difficult to see clearly. It might also decrease the eye’s tolerance for dry areas.
What Are The Types Of Dry Eye?
- Aqueous tear-deficient dry eye is a disorder in which the lacrimal glands don’t produce enough tears to maintain a healthy ocular surface (1).
- Evaporative dry eye might be caused due to inflammation of the meibomian glands in the eyelids. These glands make oily (lipid) part of tears, which slows evaporation and keeps the tears balanced (1).
Let’s now take a look at the 10 best eye drops for dry eyes.
Note: Products may be subject to packaging problems.
10 Best Eye Drops For Dry Eyes
1. Best Overall: Thera tears Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops
The Theratears Eye Drops provide quick and long-lasting relief from dry eyes. The formula was perfected after 18 years of research. The eye drops use an electrolyte-based formula that rights any imbalances or discomforts that cause dry eyes. They produce artificial tears that mimic the eye’s natural tears. These eye drops revitalize the natural tears and protect them from evaporating or becoming thin and watery. They use a preservative that dissolves into hydrogen and oxygen on interacting with the eye. Check the video to get an all round idea about the Thera tears Dry Eye Therapy Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Provides extra hydration to dry eyes
- Provides protection from further damage to eyes and tears
- Balances the pH level of natural tears
- Preservative-free when interacting with eyes
- Stays for a long time
- Comes in an easy-to-use single bottle with a dispenser
- Can cause discomfort like burning.
- May be diluted.
2. Best Clinically Proven: Systane Lubricant Eye Drops
The Systane Ultra Lubricant Eye Drops provide long-lasting and high endurance relief from dry eye symptoms. The product uses an ultra formula that provides fast and extended relief. It has been clinically proven to soothe dry eye symptoms quickly. These eye drops protect the ocular surface from further damage. They also protect the natural tears from evaporating quickly. They make tired eyes refreshed and provide comfort to inflamed eyes. To know more about the eye drop, click on the review video of Systane Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Provide long-lasting relief
- Clinically proven formula
- Provides relief from dryness, irritations, watering, grittiness, burning, stinging, and itchiness.
- Moisturizes and hydrates eyes well
- Sometimes, the eye drops don’t pour out.
- Some users have reported that the drops may make eyes dryer.
3. Best For Easy-To-Use: Ocusoft Retaine Complete Dry Eye Relief
The Ocusoft Retaine Eye Drops provide relief from moderate to severe dry eye discomfort. This product uses a revolutionary cationic oil emulsion technology, which passes ingredients through electrostatic pulls created by positively charged eye drops and negatively charged eye surfaces. It hydrates and soothes the eyes from any discomfort, like redness, itching, watering, and inflammation. It protects the eyes and the natural tears from further damage.
- Provides relief for severe to moderate dry eyes.
- Protects the eye surfaces from damage
- Protects natural tears from damage
- Easy to use
- May cause burning and dryness.
- Some users have reported problems with the cap.
- The tip of the container can be contaminated when touched.
4. Best For Contact Lens Wearers: Amo Blink Contacts Lubricating Eye Drops
The Amo Blink Contacts Lubricating Eye Drops moisturize dry contact lenses with hyaluronate. They produce artificial tears to help soothe, relieve, and moisturize dry eyes. The formula allows the eyelids to move freely over dry eyes. It contains essential electrolytes that are found in natural tears to provide comfort for contact lens wearers. These eye drops can be used with soft and rigid gas permeable lenses.
- Provides hydration for dry eyes
- Revitalizes natural tears
- Can be used for soft and RGP lenses
- May cause a burning sensation.
- May have packaging issues and damage.
5. Best Value-For-Money: Visine Totality Multi-Symptom Relief Eye Drops
The Visine Totality Multi-Symptom Relief Eye Drops are specifically formulated to relieve multiple eye irritation problems. The product uses a special blend of three moisturizers, called Hydroblend, to calm irritated and dry eyes and provide temporary relief. It protects the eyes from any further discomfort, dryness, or burning. It provides relief for up to 10 hours.
- Hydrates eyes with three moisturizers
- Relieves redness, dryness, grittiness, itchiness, inflammation, burning, and watery eyes
- Protects eyes from further damage
- Comes in an easy to use bottle
- Provide temporary relief
- Pupils might become temporarily enlarged
- Cannot be used with contact lenses
- Might cause a brief tingling sensation after application
6. Best Affordable: Similasan Dry Eye Relief Sterile Eye Drops
The Similasan Dry Eye Relief Sterile Eye Drops are homeopathic eye drops that use natural ingredients, like eyebright, and not harsh chemicals. These natural ingredients stimulate the eye’s natural defenses instead of masking the symptoms of dry eyes, like itching, redness, and dryness. These eye drops do not contain vasoconstrictors, chemicals that can cause a rebound effect.
- Provides eye relief from redness, itching, burning, stinging, watering, and inflammation
- No harsh chemicals
- No known side effects
- Comes in a single bottle with dispenser
- Provides temporary relief
7. Best For Sensitive Eyes: Refresh Optive Lubricant Eye Drops
The Refresh Optive Eye Drops deliver relief from dry, burning, and irritated eyes. They also soothe eyes from LASIK dryness. These eye drops contain two active ingredients that moisturize and provide relief to the eyes. The specially designed formula protects the cells of the eyes from damage. It also protects natural tears from evaporating quickly. These eye drops are free of preservatives and safe for sensitive eyes.
- Long-lasting relief
- Works for dryness caused by Lasik
- Provides relief from nighttime dryness
- Comes in vials instead of eye drop bottles
- May make the eyes drier in some cases.
8. Best Travel-Friendly: Oasis TEARS PLUS Preservative-Free Lubricant Eye Drops
The Oasis Tears relieves discomfort caused by moderate dry eyes by coating, lubricating, and moistening the delicate eye tissue. It contains glycerin that keeps the ocular surface moisturized for a long time. It claims to coat and recoat the surface of the eye to provide long-lasting relief. It is preservative-free. Each pack contains 30 sterile disposable containers. Each container is contaminant free and contains 8 drops of the solution. Check this video out to learn about the benefits of the Oasis TEARS PLUS Preservative-Free Lubricant Eye Drops.
- Soothes dry and irritated eyes
- Coats the ocular surface
- Moisturizes the eyes
- Not much liquid in each vial.
9. Best For Long-Lasting Effects: Viscosan Eye Drops
The Viscosan Eye Drops promise rapid relief from dry eyes. They help soothe inflammation and replenish the eye’s natural tears, allowing the eyelids to glide smoothly over the eyes. These eye drops contain hypromellose and cetrimide that keep the eye hydrated and stimulate high-quality natural tears. It provides relief from environmental causes, focuses stress, and consumption of medication that causes dry eyes. These eye drops can also be used to rewet hard contact lenses. In case you are using soft contact lenses, make sure to remove them before instilling these eye drops.
- Moisturize and nourish dry eyes
- Can be used to wet hard lenses
- Provides easy movement of eyelids over dry eyes
- Provides relief from red eyes, itchy eyes, irritated eyes, and sore eyes
- Makes tired eyes feel fresh
- Long-lasting effects
- Thin consistency
10. Best For Safety: GenTeal Tears Lubricant Eye Drops
The Genteal Tears aims to deliver fast relief from dry eyes and allergies. It helps soothe the burning and irritation caused by dry eyes. Once applied, these teardrops protect the eye from further aggravation. It has three formula strengths, which address all the srymptoms of dry eyes. It contains a gentle preservative called polyquad that doesn’t harm the eyes.
- Provides fast relief
- Soothes burns and irritation
- Leaves no residue
- Lasting protection
- Safe and gentle
- Provides relief for only moderately dry eyes.
There you have it – 10 best eye drops for dry eyes. There are some factors to consider while choosing eye drops for dry eyes. They are listed below.
Factors To Consider While Choosing Eye Drops For Dry Eyes
- When choosing eye drops, make sure they lubricate and moisturize your eyes.
- Avoid eye drops that are meant to remove redness from the eyes. They contain decongestants that can worsen dry eyes.
- If you have glaucoma or any other eye disease, do not use over-the-counter drops without consulting your doctor.
- Eye drops are of two types – those with preservatives and those without. Although preservatives help prevent bacterial growth, these eye drops may irritate people’s eyes in certain cases and also make them more sensitive. Hence, eye drops with preservatives are not recommended for people with a serious case of dry eyes.
If you have moderate to severe dry eyes, preservative-free eye drops may be the best for you. These drops are usually available in single-use containers and are more expensive.
Dry eyes is a common condition and are easily treatable. Try any of the above-listed eye drops and obtain relief from dry and irritated eyes. If the problem persists despite using these drops for a while or your condition worsens, consult your doctor immediately.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
We have curated this list of the best eye drops after carefully going through multiple customer testimonials on various health and beauty forums. These eye drops help keep your eyes lubricated when they feel dry and tired with excessive screen time or lack of sleep. These not only help soothe your dry eyes but also help reduce the irritation associated with them.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the causes of dry eyes?
• The following factors can cause dry eyes:
• Natural tears imbalance, causing thin tears
• Inflammation of the eye
• Irritation and redness of the lacrimal gland or conjunctiva
• A thyroid disease that may cause the eye to protrude
• Eyelids opened too wide due to surgery
• Dry environments
• Dust and pollution
• New contact lens
What are the symptoms of dry eye?
• Dry eye symptoms may include any of the following:
• Burning of the eye
• Gritty feeling as if something is in the eye
• Excessive thin tears followed by very dry eye spells
• A stringy or watery discharge from the eye
• Pain and redness of the eye
• Blurred vision
• Heavy eyelids
• Pain when eyelids pass over the eyes
• Inability to cry when emotionally stressed
• Uncomfortable contact lenses
• Unable to read, work on the computer or accomplish any activity that requires focused eyes
• Eye fatigue
• Too much residue left in the corners of the eyes
Is it okay to use eye drops for dry eyes after cataract surgery?
Yes, it is okay to use eye drops for dry eyes after cataract surgery. Lubricating your eyes with doctor-recommended eye drops will help moisturize and soothe your eyes.
How often should you use eye drops for dry eyes?
Use preservative-free eye drops at least four times a day to keep your eyes lubricated.
How many eye drops should you put on dry eyes?
Put one or two drops per eye for the best results.
How long does it take for eye drops to work for dry eyes?
Eye drops give you instant relief from dryness. But it is only a temporary solution. For permanent relief from dry eyes, consult an ophthalmologist and treat the underlying condition that’s causing dry eyes.
Can using eye drops constantly become harmful in the long run?
Yes, using eye drops constantly can wash away your natural tears. If you lubricate your eyes constantly with artificial drops, your eyes may not produce sufficient natural tears that protect your eyes.
- Javadi, Mohammad-Ali, and Sepehr Feizi. “Dry eye syndrome.” Journal of ophthalmic & vision research vol. 6,3 (2011): 192-8.
- Dry Eyes: Causes, Symptoms, And Natural Treatments
- Sore Eyes: Causes + 14 Home Remedies And Prevention Tips
- 15 Foods To Protect And Maintain Your Eyesight Naturally