Your eyes become sensitive as you age and it is not always recommended to experiment with eye makeup, especially if you have eye issues. However, this does not mean you should miss out on the fun! Some of the best eyeliners for older women do not irritate the sensitive skin around your eyes but help make them pop.
When you age, the area around the eyes may become heavy or sag. Using the wrong eyeliners that are too dry or tough to remove can continuously pull at the skin and aggravate the problem. That is why you need eyeliners that glide smoothly, can last throughout the day, do not crease and smudge, and contain eye-friendly and nourishing ingredients. Moreover, they should not be tough to remove. With an endless number of options available on the market, it might be tough for you to choose the right products. Do not worry. We are here to help you pick the best product for your eyes. Here, we have prepared a list of the 13 best eyeliners for women over 50. Scroll down to take your pick.
In This Article
13 Best Eyeliners For Women Over 50
1. Best Long-Lasting Formula: HAUS LABORATORIES By Lady Gaga LIQUID EYE-LIE-NER – Matte Black
Besides her songs, Lady Gaga is known for her distinct hairstyles and over-the-top makeup, especially her graphic eyeliner looks. So if you have always wanted your eyes to look as killer as hers, give this matte black LIQUID EYE-LIE-NER a try. Intensely pigmented and opaque, this sleek liquid eyeliner pen glides smoothly without tugging on your skin. It features a felt-tip applicator that allows you to create thin or thick eyeliner lines based on how much pressure you apply. Whether you want to achieve the signature Gaga cat-eye wing or want to keep it natural, this is the perfect eyeliner for you. Plus, it dries quickly and lasts all of 24 hours. This video will help you understand the product better.
- Provides smooth application
- 24-hour long-wear eyeliner
- Quick-drying and weightless formula
- Flake and smudge-proof
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- The felt applicator has a superfine pointed tip.
- May not be waterproof
2. Best Color Payoff: Lancôme Paris Artliner Liquid Eyeliner – Black
As you age, the crow’s feet at the corner of your eyes become prominent. This means that achieving the winged eyeliner look could be tricky. But not to worry! We present to you Lancôme Paris Artliner, which is an amazing eyeliner for older women and is ideal for creating winged or cat-eye look. It is richly pigmented and features a unique double film-forming set of polymers that deliver an intense color payoff that is long-lasting. Furthermore, this liquid formula provides precise application and glides effortlessly; thanks to the felt-tip applicator.
- Long-lasting wear
- Does not scratch or tug
- Offers ultimate precision
- Defines eyes
- Provides intense color payoff
- Available in other colors
3. Best Smudge-Proof: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner – Intense Black
This waterproof, intense black liquid eyeliner lives up to its name! It stays put until you are ready to remove it and glides smoothly, like butter, along your upper lash line. This long-wearing eyeliner includes a micro-tip that offers ultra-precise and even application. Additionally, the tip is tiny enough to fill in between lashes to give you fuller-looking lashes. Moreover, this is a fast-drying formula that does not smudge or flake.
- Glides on easily
- Makes lashes look fuller
- Waterproof and buildable formula
- The ultra-thin tip provides precise application.
- Some people may not be comfortable using the short tip.
4. Best Ophthalmologist-Tested: Almay Mechanical Eyeliner Pencil – Black Pearl
What’s not to love about this mechanical eyeliner pencil that is formulated to stay put for long hours and goes on easily over your upper eyelids? Rest assured that you won’t have to worry about this pencil pulling or tugging on your skin. It features a smooth, pointed tip that helps you create precise lines while the built-in sharpener integrated into the cap ensures the pencil stays forever sharp. As the color suggests, it creates a beautiful pearlescent finish that makes any eye color pop! Enriched with vitamin E, this eyeliner pencil nourishes and protects your skin.
- Long-wearing and water-resistant formula
- Does not smudge or fade
- Ophthalmologist and dermatologist-tested
Suitable for sensitive eyes
- Cruelty and fragrance-free
- The pencil tends to be a bit fragile.
5. Best For Smokey Eye Makeup: Julep When Pencil Met Gel Long-Lasting Eyeliner – Blackest Black
The Julep eyeliner pencil is waterproof, long-wearing, ultra-creamy, and does not drag your skin, making it one of the best eyeliners for crepey eyelids. This blackest black eyeliner delivers a rich and saturated color payoff in just a couple of swipes; perfect for all you smokey-eye lovers out there. With the combination of gel and pencil, this eyeliner glides smoothly along the lash line while also helping you achieve thin or thick lines. This eyeliner’s waterproof quality ensures that the formula sets in 30 seconds and lasts for more than 10 hours.
- Contains extra-finely milled pigments
- Delivers intense finish
- Glides smoothly
- Waterproof formula
- 10-hour wear
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Made without formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, formaldehyde resin, and camphor.
- May not be suitable for sensitive eyes
6. Best Water-Resistant Formula: Jane Iredale Mystikol Powdered Eyeliner – Onyx
Do you prefer powder eyeliners to liquid or gel liners? And you’re afraid to use it on your mature skin as powdered eyeliners tend to crease into your fine lines and wrinkles? Then consider this powder-cream formula by Jane Iredale. This eyeliner is formulated with coco glycerides that give it a creamy consistency, helping you create a smooth and even finish. This is an excellent choice if you want to go for the bold smudged look. Additionally, this is a water-resistant formula that stays put all day long.
- Includes a built-in, soft-textured brush
- Powder-cream formula
- Provides smooth and mess-free application
- Helps you create the dramatic, smokey-eye look
- All-day staying power
- May be a little difficult to use
7. Best For Anti-Aging Benefits: IT Cosmetics No-tug Waterproof Gel Eyeliner – Highlight
Thanks to its innovative no-tug technology, IT Cosmetics Gel Eyeliner allows you to create any eyeliner look you want with ease. It features a soft pencil tip that glides smoothly across your delicate eyelids and delivers an intense, saturated finish. This automatic no-tug eyeliner is formulated using anti-aging technology. It contains ingredients like hydrolyzed silk, collagen, vitamins, and antioxidants that moisturize your skin and make it firm. This waterproof formula is easy to use and is clinically proven to last for 12 hours.
- Long-wearing and no-tugging formula
- High-pigment eyeliner
- Features anti-aging technology
- Keeps skin moisturized
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Tends to clump
- Thick consistency
8. Best For Sensitive Eyes: Physicians Formula Eye BOOSTER – Ultra Black
No products found.
You can trust Physicians Formula to come up with a 2-in-1 eyeliner + serum that has all the qualities of a good liquid eyeliner and has the ability to enhance your lash line. Hailed as one of the best eyeliners for sensitive eyes, this one helps define and accentuate your eyes with its intensely pigmented shade. Plus, it includes a precise brush-tip applicator that enables you to create crisp lines every time. It also conditions and nourishes your lashes. This eyeliner is long-lasting and water-resistant.
- 24-hour wear
- Water-resistant and smudge-proof
- Accentuates your eyes
- The serum enhances the appearance of lashes
- Suitable for sensitive skin and eyes
- Includes ultra-precise brush-tip applicator
- The eyeliner may be a bit dry.
9. Best Cruelty-Free: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner Pencil – Perversion
Urban Decay is popularly known for its highly-pigmented and cruelty-free makeup line, and this eyeliner pencil is all that and more! It has a buttery texture and glides over your upper and lower eyelids smoothly to deliver a vibrant, luscious color that does not budge, come rain or tears. Once applied, it stays soft and creamy, giving you enough time to blend it to create a subtle eye shadow effect. Alternatively, you could use it to create a thin layer for a neutral eyeliner makeup look. This eyeliner pencil is infused with hydrating ingredients like vitamin E, cottonseed oil, and jojoba oil, which moisturize, condition, and soften your skin.
- Long-lasting formula
- Has a creamy, blendable texture
- Enriched with skin-hydrating ingredients
- Glides on smoothly
- Intense color payoff
- 100% cruelty-free
- It may not be suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers.
10. Best Creamy Texture: Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Eye Pencil – Onyx
Looking for an eyeliner that is easy to use, provides smooth application, and lends a rich color payoff? Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Eye Pencil is the one for you. It is a water-resistant and non-smudging formula that manages to stay put all day. It glides on smoothly without causing friction on thin, delicate skin. While this eye pencil lends a clean and well-defined line, it can also create a smudged look; thanks to the built-in smudger on the other end of the pencil. This double-wear formula sets in seconds and lasts for 24 hours straight.
- Double-ended pencil
- Long-wearing for 24 hours
- Dries quickly
- Lightweight and creamy
- Waterproof and smudge-proof
- May be difficult to sharpen
11. Best For Contact Lens Users: Maybelline New York Define-A-Line Eyeliner – Chestnut Brown
If you are looking to add a hint of color to your everyday makeup look, but don’t want to go all out either, then shades of brown are an excellent option. This chestnut brown eyeliner will surely look flattering on women in their 50s. This mechanical eyeliner pencil glides smoothly, and all it takes is a single stroke to achieve a precise definition. The other end of the pencil has a contoured smudge tool that can be used to create sensuous smokey-eyes and a sharpener that comes handy when you need it. This pack includes 2 eyeliner pencils of the same color.
- Mechanical pencil
- Features a precision tip
- Provides smooth and even application
- Creates defined eye look
- Built-in smudger and sharpener
- Suitable for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
- Expensive eyeliner
12. Best Allergy-Tested Formula: La Roche-Posay Respectissime Intense Liquid Eyeliner – Black
Not all eyeliners are created equally, and not all eyeliners are suitable for everyone. Certain eyeliners may irritate your eyes. Respectissime Intense Liquid Eyeliner is specially formulated for women with sensitive eyes or those who wear contact lenses. It is smudge-free and long-wearing. It comes with a felt-tip brush that allows for smooth application to deliver clean lines with an intense finish. Furthermore, with the infusion of natural wax and pro-adhesion complex, this liquid liner prevents sensitive eyelids from drying and ensures the lines remain intact all day long.
- Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
- Includes a felt-tip brush
- Creates clean, uniform lines
- Long-lasting, intense finish
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist-tested
- Fragrance and paraben-free
13. Best Moisture-Locking Formula: RevitaLash Cosmetics Defining Liner – Black
Draw precise lines like makeup artists with the RevitaLash Cosmetics Defining Liner. It is a silky, creamy formula that gently glides over your upper eyelids without scratching, dragging and skipping your skin. Referred to as satin glide eyeliner, it lives up to its name. With its richly pigmented shade and stay-true color, you can expect an excellent payoff. This eyeliner formula provides long-lasting and smudge-proof wear. What’s more? It also includes a built-in sharpener and smudge tool that enables you to create any eyeliner makeup look.
- Moisture-locking formula
- Creamy texture
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist-tested
- Chemical and fragrance-free
- Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers
- The pencil may be too soft and fragile
Here are a few points to consider while buying an eyeliner for mature eyes.
The Ultimate Guide To Choose The Best Eyeliners For Women Over 50 Years
How To Choose The Best Eyeliner For Older Women
Type: By now, you must have realized that there are different types of eyeliners such as powder, gel, crayon, liquid, and pencil eyeliners. Always look for something that is easy to use and provides a smooth application.
Formula: Eyeliners for older eyes are meant to be gentle, long-wearing, and smudge-proof. That said, not all eyeliners are suitable for everyone. There are a few factors to look out for when choosing an eyeliner based on the formula. For instance, if you have oily eyelids, you need a formula that stays on for long without running or smudging. And for those with sensitive eyes, look for something that does not irritate your eyes.
Applicator: Women with fine lines and wrinkles should opt for an eyeliner that comes with felt or precision-tip applicator. Felt-tip eyeliners have thin, soft points that help you create defined lines. Some eyeliners also feature a smudge tool to create a dramatic effect.
How To Use Eyeliner For Women Over 50
- When applying the liner on your upper eyelids, always start from the outer corner of your eyes, and gradually move towards the inner corners.
- As for the lower eyelids, begin from the outer corners and stop at the center.
- If you want to create a winged eyeliner look, you can extend the line beyond the outer corners.
- If you prefer a softer look, you can slightly smudge the line with your fingertip, a cotton bud, or a built-in smudge tool.
The Best Eyeliner Tips For Older Women
- Before applying eyeliner, you need to ensure that your eyes are clean.
- For a long-lasting application, you could prime your eyelids with a concealer.
- Liquid eyeliners with felt-tip applicators are considered to be one of the best options as they glide smoothly over crepey eyelids.
- If you have droopy eyelids, a genius eyeliner hack would be to use white eyeliners that can give you brighter-looking and wide-awake eyes.
Aging is inevitable. But aging like wine is in your hands. Eyeliners enhance your eye’s appearance irrespective of your age. The regular eyeliners may be heavy for mature skin and may cause it to dry out. They are often difficult to remove eyeliner from the skin as well. The eyeliners on our list are formulated especially for a woman over 50. These eyeliners contain gentle, nourishing ingredients. They give you flawless application. They are mess-free, smudge-proof, long-lasting, and easy to clean. However, some products may not suit sensitive eyes. Read the buying guide and reviews to pick the ideal one that meets your needs.
Why Trust Stylecraze
Chaitra Krishnan is our in-house makeup enthusiast and enjoys writing about makeup products to cater to women of each age group. She shared the best eyeliners for older women in this post. Chaitra has curated this list of eyeliners that smoothly glide on the eyes are smudge-free and gentle on the eyes. In addition, she has scoured user feedback on multiple websites before handpicking these eyeliners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you wear eyeliner if you are over 50?
Yes, definitely! As long as you choose an eyeliner that best suits you and you apply it the right way, age should not matter.
What color eyeliner should an older woman wear?
Older women can wear any color they want. While black and brown are generally considered the safest options, dark eyeliner colors can sometimes make your dark circles prominent. You can always opt for bright or light colors like white, metallic blue, or orange in such cases.
What age should you stop wearing eyeliner?
Women of any age can wear eyeliner. There is no age limit to apply eyeliner.