Flat twists are a neat way to add a new protective style to your hair repertoire. Regular two-strand twists, which hang loosely, are usually best for natural hair, but flat twists can work well on both natural and relaxed textures. Flat twists are similar to cornrows and easier to do for beginners or those working with their own hair.
30 Edgy Flat Twist Hairstyles You Need To Check Out In 2020
1. Cross-Twisted Flat Twists
Cross twists have never looked better. Divide your hair into three sections: two side sections and a middle section. The middle section will be twisted into a big braid. The side sections are flat twisted and crossed to form diamond-shaped patterns on the sides. It looks stunning, doesn’t it?
2. Flat Twists Crown
This flat twist crown hairdo is perfect for work and play! But, it needs a helping hand to be done perfectly. Your hair has to be divided into sections around the circumference of your head. Then, each section has to be flat twisted up till the crown.
3. Mid-rib Flat Twist
You’re must be wondering, why mid-rib? Just look at the pattern created by these flat twists and look at the mid-rib of a leaf, you’ll get it. Again, you’ll need some help with this flat twists hairdo.
4. Flat-twisted Low Bun
This flat twists style looks artistic. Women all over the world are going crazy over this classic low bun flat twists hairstyle. It is the perfect hairstyle for anyone who is on their feet all day and living in a hot area.
5. Aligned Flat Twists
This hairstyle mixes culture with modern style. It looks edgy and fierce. To achieve this look, style your hair in 5 or 6 big flat twists and tie them in a low bun at the back. This is a great hairstyle for anyone who likes to keep their hair away from their face.
6. Loose Flat-Twisted Low Bun
While low buns are mostly seen as classy, flat twists give them a youthful vibe. Imagine sporting this look with a leather jacket, black pants, boots, and some bling. It looks badass and edgy!
7. Flat Twists Semi Crown
This flat-twisted semi crown looks surreal! You’ll have to use the tail end of a rat-tail comb and divide your hair into sections to match the design here. Then, weave each section into a flat twist, stopping at the hairline. Weave all the sections in one big crown flat twist to finish off the look.
8. Loose Half Flat Twists
This is a great flat twists style for workouts or sporty events. It looks uber stylish without your hair being all over the place. Divide your hair as shown in the picture and weave it in flat twists. You’ll have to weave it from back to front so all the hair is loose at the top.
9. Rose Flat Twists
Yes, flat twists can give you roses! Weave your hair in flat twists from one side all the way to the other. Continue to twist your hair until the end. Simply roll the twists to form the rose at the side. If you want to give it more of a floral vibe, pancake the twist gently.
10. Thin Flat Twists Top Knot
Whoever thinks top knots are boring is wrong. Add flats twists to your top knot to jazz it up! Thin flat twists make your hair look thicker and super cool. Instead of securing the top knot with an elastic band, do it with your hair by tying it in the middle. It adds more design to the hairstyle.
11. Elegantly Twisted Flat Twists
This flat twists hairstyle looks stunning! It is perfect for an outdoor wedding. Simply part your hair at the center, then twist it at the end in a loose (Tbut neat) flat twist on both sides. Join both the flat twists at the back to form the bun.
12. Flat Twists Updo
This one is definitely on my to-do list. It looks contemporary and modern. You could pair it with a gown but also with a leather jacket. Weave a French Flat twist on the sides of your head. Weave each flat twist in a braid from the middle down. Join all the braids at the top to form the updo.
13. Thin And Thick Flat Twists
This is one of the easiest and coolest hairstyles. All you need to do is weave your flat twists as you would cornrows. Keep them close to the scalp, alternating between thin and thick flat twists. You can also accessorize this updo with hair rings to jazz it up.
14. Big Flat Twists
Flat twists meet elegance in this hairstyle. Divide your hair into big sections and weave them in loose flat twists. Keep them loose so your twists look big, but not so loose that they look messy. Join all the flat twists at the back and wrap them round to form the bun.
15. Flat Twists French Twist
This ropey flat-twisted half updo is stunning. It has all the comfort of a classy hairstyle but the style of a modern, edgy one as well. The best thing about it is that it’s easy and quick to achieve.
16. Big Flat-Twisted Mohawk
Mohawks are so edgy that there’s no way you can make them elegant, right? Wrong! Try this big flat-twisted mohawk, and you won’t go wrong. On the contrary, you will turn heads wherever you go!
17. Loose Curled Flat Twists
If you’re looking for a cool and playful hairstyle, look no further than this loose curled flat twists hairdo. It’s effective in keeping your hair tied but also looks very chic. It is perfect for work or college.
18. Flat Twist Out
This hairstyle is stunning and super easy to achieve. Wash your hair and apply some curl-defining cream to it. Weave your hair in flats twists and keep them overnight. The next morning, unleash your stunning curls!
19. Flat Twists Tied Updo
Sometimes, all you need to beautify your top knot are some simple flat twists. Divide your hair into small sections and twist each section into a flat twist. The flat twists should move from the hairline to the crown so the top knot can be formed. Once the flat twists reach the crown, continue to twist the hair till the ends. Then, wrap them in a top knot.
20. Rolled Flat Twists Updo
This stunning flat twist updo is made by twisting your hair tightly. Divide your hair into small sections. Divide each section into two parts and tightly twist them round each other towards the top of your head. Once you reach the top, tightly twist and fold each section to form this updo. Use edge cream or coconut oil to make your hair look sleek.
21. Milkmaid Flat Twists
This is a great hairstyle for school, college, or just to chill at home while you complete your chores. It’s a twisted take on the milkmaid braid. What can I say, flat twists inspire creativity!
22. Big Flat Twists And Ringlets
This hairstyle is pretty easy to achieve. Style your hair in big flat twists from the hairline to the crown. Once you reach the crown, use rollers and curl defining cream to achieve the perfect ringlets.
23. Side Flat-Twisted Ponytail
This is a super simple yet elegant style. It’s perfect for a barbeque party. You’ll need to flat twist your hair at the sides from the middle up till the back. Then, gather the rest of your and secure the flat twists with an elastic band in a low ponytail. Jazz it up with a flower on one side.
24. Ropey Flat Twists
This hairstyle is extremely edgy! Before you weave your flat twists, apply a good amount of cream to each section so the distinct lines can be seen. Then, tie the flat twists in a knot at the top.
25. Bridal Crown
Patterns and flat twists go hand in hand, like wine and cheese. They look stunning and make you feel like a Disney princess. Try out this look for a wedding. It will not disappoint!
26. Tight Fla-Twisted Bantu Knots
I love this flat-twisted hairstyle. It looks light, playful, and easy to do. This mix of Bantu knots and flat twists is easy to achieve. I love how the Bantu knots are a lighter brown shade to add a beautiful contrast to the look.
27. Pineapple Flat Twists
This gives the classic pineapple hairdo a whole new twist (get it?). To mimic this hairstyle, all you have to do is flip your hair over and begin flat twisting it from the back upwards. Once you reach the crown, use thin elastic bands or bobby pins to secure the flat twists in place.
28. Mohawk Flat Twist
This flat-twisted style looks complicated, but the closer you look, the easier it becomes to try. Let me break it down for you. Begin flat twisting your hair from one side. Make sure it curves upward. Then join the flat twists to form the mohawk.
29. Flat-Twisted High Ponytail
This has to be the most sought-after flat twists hairstyle of all time. It’s pretty easy to achieve, though you might need to do it once or twice to get the hang of it. Simple weave your hair in individual flat twists and tie them up in a high ponytail.
30. Big Twist With Flat Twists
Flat twists can make a regular hairstyle look fresh. The best thing about this hairstyle is that it works for a formal meeting as well as a laid-back party afterwards. Remember to keep the flat twists thin to nail this look.
Now that you know all the flat twists hairstyles trending right now, check out how you can do basic flat twists yourself at home!
How To Flat Twist Your Hair
- Flat twists only require two sections at a time, though they are styled like cornrows. Start by parting your hair from the front hairline till the nape of your neck.
- Starting from the inner edges of the parting, begin working with a small section at the hairline.
- Divide that same small section of hair into two equal sections.
- Twist the two sections of hair around each other, moving back along this parted section.
- As you twist the hair, gently incorporate hair from along the parting into the twist as you work backwards. It’s important to not use too much tension because you don’t want to cause pain or damage the hair follicles with tight styling.
- If the hair you’re twisting is long enough, you’ll reach a point where the twist is no longer attached to the scalp. You might want to secure the twist here, but it’s best to experiment and see what works for you. Here, you can use a small elastic band to keep the twist from unraveling. However, the thicker and curlier the hair, the better it is at holding itself together without unraveling.
- Continue twisting the hair until you reach the end and secure the ends with elastic bands.
- Repeat the flat twists over the entire head, moving outward along the hairline. As you become more comfortable with your technique, you may find yourself wanting to create patterns that direct to one side instead of straight back for more variety.
- If you don’t want to let your twists hang loose, you can easily pull them back into a ponytail. Either let the ends hang freely or secure them. This is a good option for people who want an easy protective style without many accessories.
That was my list of 30 stunning flat twist styles. Which one is your favorite? Also, is there a flat-twisted style that you think I’ve missed out on? Comment below and let me know!
- 50 Stunning Twist Hairstyles For Short Hair
- 5 Simple Steps To Do A Twister Hairstyle
- 20 Best Hairstyles For Senegalese Twists
- Braided Twister Hairstyle – DIY
- French Twist In Easy Steps
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- Types Of Hair Loss: Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment - May 2, 2021
- Simple Tips To Darken Mehendi And Make It Long-Lasting - April 27, 2021
- Stretch Marks: Causes And How To Get Rid Of Them - April 26, 2021
- 80 Questions To Ask Your Ex-Boyfriend Or Ex-Girlfriend - April 25, 2021
- Jealousy In A Relationship: Why It Happens and How To Stop It - April 22, 2021