Diabetes often comes with a lot of other physical complications. One such complication is diabetic peripheral neuropathy or peripheral neuropathy. It is a type of nerve damage caused by high blood sugar levels that can lead to numbness and pain in the legs and hands. Using a foot massager often provides relief in such cases.
Any foot massager that uses shiatsu (a Japanese massage technique involving pressure) or heat/infrared can help relieve the pain and numbness. However, foot massagers that give gentle shiatsu massages are the best. In this article, we have put together a list of best foot massagers for people with diabetes that might help relieve the discomfort. Scroll down.
Top 10 Foot Massagers For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
This is a sShiatsu foot massager that givprovides deep kneading massages. It keeps the feet warm with its heat settings and increases the effectiveness of the massage. This foot massager has two foot chambers with five air pressure settings and two wireless remotes.
It has reflexology rolling nodes that target the pain points on your feet and help relieve discomfort and pain. It is perfect for relieving muscle tension, plantar fasciitis, diabetes, and neuropathy.
- Washable foot liners
- Wireless operation
- Temperature control
- Power adapter
- Not much focus on the heels.
The Renpho Foot Massager machine has a rotation ball, a rolling stick, along with heating and compression to give you a deep-kneading shiatsu massage. It helps relieve pain through foot nerve reflex, improves blood flow, and promotes relaxation. The ergonomic design of the foot massager ensures comfortable foot massage sessions.
- 3 massage modes and intensities
- Adjustable air compression
- Foot tip to heel kneading
- Detachable and washable fabric
- Touch button
- Non-slip rubber pad
- The heat intensity is very low.
The Homedics Triple Action Shiatsu Foot Massager delivers a warm shiatsu massage in a circular kneading pattern that goes up and down the entire length of your feet. This helps to relax your feet from toe to heel. It has triple rotational heads with heat features that literally melt your discomfort. It has a large platform design to accommodate people who have large feet.
- Easy to use controls
- Breathable fabric to prevent overheating.
- The kneading may not feel intense to some.
This electric massager is designed for therapeutic usage and is perfect for those who have severe foot pain and discomfort. You can adjust the motor speed and intensity as it offers motor control between 1000 rpm to 3700 rpm to give you maximum comfort. It helps to stimulate circulation and eases muscle tension, swelling, and joint pain. The footpad is designed to provide your feet with the optimal angle for a complete pain-relieving massage.
- 1-year full replacement
- Manufactured in ISO-certified facility
- 11-speed settings
- Oscillating footpad with arch bar
- A bit noisy
The AREALER Foot Massager offers air compression massage along with heating to promote blood flow in your legs and feet. It mainly offers soft and hard rolling, kneading, and scraping massages to relieve fatigue. It has five different modes and pressure settings for your comfort. It targets the acupressure points in your feet and is perfect for those with diabetic neuropathy, arthritis, plantar fasciitis, and severe leg and feet pain.
- 5 pressure settings
- Lightweight design
- May not fit big feet (US size 11-13).
This electric foot massager has a comfortable angle and provides deep-kneading shiatsu massage. It has adjustable settings for heat, air compression pressure, and vibration and helps relieve soreness in your feet, legs, ankles, and calves. It is an open-toed machine and fits almost all feet sizes.
- Quiet mode
- Adjustable bar for changing the massager position
- 3 levels of intensity
- Automatic timer (15 minutes)
- Manually operated
- The timer cannot be extended.
This leg massager covers your feet and calves. It has 2×2 airbags inside that massage your feet and calves to relieve pain and discomfort. It has two modes and two massage intensities that can be controlled using a handheld controller. The maximum calves size that it can fit is 2.5 inches. It also offers two size extensions.
- 10 massage techniques
- Easy-to-use controls
- Available in multiple sizes
- Doesn’t work until both air pumps are attached.
This foot massager has 18 deep-kneading nodes to target the acupressure points on your feet and give shiatsu massage. This is a heated foot massager with a temperature around 40-45 degrees Celsius that helps to relieve foot pain. It has a large platform that can accommodate feet of any size.
- One-button control
- Toe-touch control
- Ergonomic curved design
- Auto-timed for 15 minutes, can’t be adjusted/extended.
- Heat is mild.
This foot massager by Miko has multiple settings for heat, massaging, and rotating functions. It has six massaging heads and 18 rotating nodes that touches almost all the pressure points in your feet to relieve muscle tension, pain, and discomfort.
- 1-year complete warranty
- Soft and rounded footpads
- Heat adjustment
- May not be durable.
This foot massager has 18 nodes for providing deep-kneading shiatsu massage. It is available in multiple sizes to fit your feet. It has one-touch operation and an optional heat function. Hence, it is easy for you to turn the heat mode on and off. Also, the stand of the foot massager can be adjusted and can be raised up to a 10-degree angle.
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Breathable fabric cover
- Adjustable heating function
- The massage may not feel that deep unless pressure is applied.
A foot massager is a necessity for those who have diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Here are a few things you need to keep in mind before picking a foot massager for them.
Things To Consider While Buying Foot Massagers For People With Diabetes
- Construction And Durability: Check the battery settings, battery power, and other electrical features to make sure it works properly and lasts longer.
- Heating and Air Compressors: Adjusting the heat and air compressor functions are key for any good foot massager. A good foot massager should have different modes and intensities to provide proper heating, vibration, and kneading pressure.
- Ease Of Operation: Even if the foot massager is good, it is of no use if it is not easy to use and has complex settings. Check the ease of use before buying one.
- Weight: A lightweight foot massager is ideal. However, additional features and functionalities may add some weight to the machine. Make sure that at the end of the day, you can lift it or transport it easily.
Using a foot massager comes with a lot of benefits.
Benefits Of Using A Foot Massager For Diabetic Neuropathy
A good foot massage helps:
- Improve blood circulation.
- Reduce pain and numbness caused by neuropathy.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Stimulate nerve endings to minimize discomfort.
- Relieve bunion pain by massaging the arches and bottom of your feet.
- Relax not only your feet but also the entire body.
- Strengthen the ankles and feet by reducing soreness.
- Reduce fluid retention in your legs caused by longer periods of standing or sitting.
However, if you have diabetic neuropathy, you need to be careful while using a foot massager.
Risk Factors Associated With Using A Foot Massager For People With Diabetes
Since diabetic neuropathy causes numbness and lack of sensation in the legs, there is a probability that the heat generated by the massager may cause burns, and you may not notice it instantly.
Also, vigorous massages may also cause circulation issues, especially if you have any condition that affects your circulatory structure.
That is why you need to be extra cautious while using a foot massager. It is best to consult your doctor before going for a foot massage or buying a foot massager.
Foot massagers are extremely effective in relieving pain and taking care of your legs and feet. Those with diabetic peripheral neuropathy need good circulation in their legs, and a foot massager is very useful in this regard. With proper precautions, you can definitely go ahead a get a foot massager from the above list for yourself or any of your loved ones with this condition.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Can diabetics use home foot spas?
Yes, foot spas help in taking care of the skin on your legs and also relieve pain and discomfort.
How long should you use a foot massager for diabetics?
It depends on the severity of your condition. Massaging your feet excessively and vigorously may worsen the condition. It is best to consult your doctor.
- 10 Best Handheld Percussion Massagers For A Deep Tissue Massage
- 8 Best Electric Hand Massagers – 2021
- 7 Best Vibrating Massage Guns For Sore Muscle Recovery
- 10 Best Massage Chair Pads To Buy In 2021